Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

WARNING FOR PRE-CONFIGURED DRIVE USERS!

SIMPLYAUSTIN

First off we all know that pre configured drives are not endorsed in any way by HyperSpin or by anyone else here.  They are a waste of money and in most cases will cost you more money, heartache and time than if you started from scratch!  Heheh thats if your lucky to be honest.... But now it seems its gone even further!

I QUOTE FROM MY FACEBOOK PAGE:

I am currently getting Pre Configured drives in that are being bought from a US seller based in the Texas area. They are out dated, ill configured as per normal. But to make it worse I see he has also placed a keymapper to read your keystrokes. These are then sent to him weekly.

When I say keymapper, I mean the kind that records every keystroke you make on your PCs. This includes Passwords, card info, emails, messages... EVERYTHING and sends him this in plain text weekly.

I see this has been hidden in what seems to be an update program used so it says to sync your drives to his data. It may do that... but I see it also does the above!

I have told these people to contact the police and whatever Cyber Crime Agencies they have in their respective countries. But PLEASE check you stuff before you use it!!!! I hope this is a isolated issue as from all the drives I get sent, I have not seen this up until a few weeks ago. But its now becoming more and more common.

People will tell you anything on the internet to make money out of you... it seems now they have gone one stage further! To me, this has now hit an all time low and it pains me I even have to warn about this frown emoticon

I dont mean to scare monger but I couldnt live with myself if someone else got ripped by this scam.  I would say if anyones got a drive from one of these sellers PLEASE SCAN YOUR DRIVE and have one of your friends or family members who knows about this kind of stuff to take a look at it.  Again, this has only been showing up for the past few weeks on drives I have been sent, but it may be effecting earlier ones I have never seen.

NOTE!  I do not do this for a living, I actually have a life hehehe.  Please do not go sending me all your drives.  I do not charge for trying to fix these things for you, but I only look at these things as a favor to help those families ripped off by these sellers.  I do not want to be involved in anything that involves money, its just too much hassle.

When you do anything online PLEASE be careful guys!  Card details, money, contracts and everything needs to be looked at into detail. The internet is still very early and its like the wild west.  The law and agencies struggle to keep up with the scams and low lifes out there.  Do not trust people or websites with your details on face value!

EDIT:  I do not want to give out too much information as it may do more harm than good. However if you are concerned about a drive you may have bought or just want peace of mind there are a couple of ways to see if its running.

1. Simply input Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F7

or

2. Start menu, click in search, type cmd and you will see the cmd program show up. Click this (looks like DOS/black and white.) Simply type "akstart" (no speach marks) and click enter.

If you notice something after doing either of the two things above you may want to seek more advice from professionals with regards to this matter

Personally I don't have any respect for anyone that buys stuff like that or those that sell it but they're out there so it is what it is. 

The emulation community has always been a hands on community and I don't really have to explain that to the die hard EMU users that go way back.. everything you need or want is available to you if you know how to get it. There are just so many people that are not really from the EMU scene and to them packages like this are like dreams come true so if that dream turns into a nightmare for them.. that's on them.

I assume the person selling these things is including the meat with the bread / kitchen with the sink (hint hint) so I would suggest for those that don't use better judgement and buy one of these things.. just prepare the bread on your own and use their meat (hint hint) since you are unable to hunt the meat yourself.

Hyperspin is an amazing front end.. the best I've seen and I like the fact that it's hands on.. you can tweak it to your liking and get it running beautifully. 

Texas? That's funny because we know a guy by the name of Chris Upchurch who lives in the Texas area and sells these so called pre-configured drives and had a recent video boasting about this new utility he had that would sync his customer's drives so they would always be updated.

Coincidence?

I can kinda understand why someone would buy something like that, or at least spend money on a configured system. I believe most of us here have the time and desire to tinker with our systems, but there are some people out there who can't be bothered or otherwise can't spend that much time due to whatever reason and end up going the financial route. You see the similar thing happen in F2P games, where there's the free user who grinds for all the stuff, but then you either have the wealthy dudes or persons with a busy life who cannot spend the time and end up buying their way into the game and unlocking everything from the get go.

And it's the latter portion of people that sadly succumb to these kind of people who sell bad setups and if what you are saying is true Austin then there should be indeed legal action taken against this seller. It's bad enough they have a bad setup but it's even worse to have your passwords and/or financial information stolen from you.

I can kinda understand why someone would buy something like that, or at least spend money on a configured system. I believe most of us here have the time and desire to tinker with our systems, but there are some people out there who can't be bothered or otherwise can't spend that much time due to whatever reason and end up going the financial route. 

But with emulation it doesn't make much sense because you have to always tweak and configure emulators and just because it worked great on one machine doesn't mean it will work well on another machine not to mention there are various emulators for each system and some emulators will just work better for certain set ups. In the long run people are spending all that money to get screwed over.. I just don't see why anyone would want to pay just to end up having to do more work than someone that did it on their own.

Now for the people that just want to buy them for the MEAT... I get it because they'e only gonna rip everything they need and add it to their own setups but to the people that buy these things and expect it to be 100% working on their machines.... are crazy! especially with setups that supposedly contain 170+ systems.. that's just a headache waiting to happen. 

We are all screwed if sub zero planted a virus in any of his stuff

Tapatalk signature

Lol, he's already spammed up the forum with his muscle supplements.

And now the disciple of Jesus is using a keylogger to suck more money out of the suckers. They'll all go to heaven though.

Emulation is something people should research... it's never plug n play.

Agreed, and it's really not for everyone. I have had many people ask me to help them set up a system or "build a cab with them". But I just give them a funny look and mock them. They are my friends, so I'm not being rude, I am just being honest with them. They don't have the time, patience, resources, or know how to maintain the system. We all spend way more time doing this then originally planned, mostly because it becomes a hobby. I have spent hours configuring systems that I have only played for minutes. It was more about just being able to say "I did it" then actually to play it.

We all know that, but the people buying the drives think that it will just be a plug n play with little/no effort on their end. If they knew from the start how much extra work it would be for themselves they probably wouldn't buy them, but they don't realize it.

I have to admit....i was one of those that bought a pre-configured drive, but not from Chris.  But i do see his "stuffs" in the drive.  I bought it cuz after reading forums after forums, it seems like a pain setting up Hyperspin....and i didn't know if i'll be able to find the time.  Well, flash forward 5 months now....i was able to setup Hyperspin with helping videos from Austin and forum members here.  I wish i had NEVER bought those ebay drives which claims just "plug-n-play".  Also it's no fun when you can't understand how & what each application does.

Also it's way cheaper to spend on a Platinum membership here AND Emumovies than for a freaking drive that you'll sure to have a problem with!!!

I bought a pre co figured drive almost a year ago and I must say it was a waste of money. I had to re name roms, artwork etc.. I had to figure out how controls worked per system as had to set them up. I had issues with emulators not loading etc.... Was a lot of work but much better starting all from scratch! This forum has been a massive amount of help. Don't buy pre configured! Pain in bum...

I saw a guy post a video of him unboxing his harddrive and pluggin it up.. he played mame and game cube with what I assume were wireless Xbox controllers. For some reason I think dude already unboxed that shit and just did the video for show because everything went too smoothly but anyway he had the roms already and played some games but I couldn't help but think he paid all that money and had to deal with that NAG SCREEN on mame LOL!

I also noticed he had a ton of systems that other than show off and game geek factor (having them just to have them) I doubt anyone is going to play all those obscure systems. To each is own but I rather have my hypserspin setup on a personally level with the stuff that I will enjoy playing... I don't need to scroll thru 170 systems just to scroll again looking for something to play. 

Seriously... (hint hint) with GOOGLE & YOUTUBE it's all there.....

Could it be this guy,Christopher Shaw?

I see he lives in America and sells hard drives, he also has just set up ICloud account, to send out live updates.

To had to that, he did have a Torrent going, with everything on it, until he was forced to take it down, as he was sharing material, that he had downloaded from a guy in Germany.

That person, proved Christopher didnt have permision to share the material and conntacted his IP provider.

Could it be this guy,Christopher Shaw?

That dude is Canadian, wrong country buddy :)

And this topic is turning in quite the nice witch hunt. I'm sure Austin intentions were only to warn us about these kind of drives.

But then again I doubt that anyone who would buy such such drives would come on these forums first. It will be after the fact that they will seek help from the official Hyperspin forum/community.

As a Canadian I feel like I have to apologize for this douche bag. He even looks like one.

That's absolutely true, I saw a couple of his vids. He indeed looks like one and acts like one too. In one of his vlogs he explains that he was getting sick and tired of the constant nagging from people because the torrents he uploaded were shit and why he had to take em down. And then in another one he talks about new stuff that he's got in the works. In short the dude is full of shit and an attentionwhore lol. 

And apologies accepted! :D

That dude is Canadian, wrong country buddy :)

And this topic is turning in quite the nice witch hunt. I'm sure Austin intentions were only to warn us about these kind of drives.

But then again I doubt that anyone who would buy such such drives would come on these forums first. It will be after the fact that they will seek help from the official Hyperspin forum/community.

I have watched some of his videos.  I think he is living and going to school in Canada, but is not Canadian...I think.

Does it matter?  He was recently talking about somehow syncing for updates as well...

False info maybe? I think all of this is quite funny. We are all adults, why do some really care so much about what others do. If they want to buy a drive then let them. Their life, their money, their pc, their info they are putting on the line.

Enjoy your setup, worry about yourself and play some games.

Then they come here and ask you to fix it and add more systems.

Standard response: "You stupid wanker why the fuck did you buy that useless POS? Take it back to the shop or wipe it and learn the hard way"

Buyers response: "but but, Gypsy Jesus said I'd burn in hell and toast my testicles for eternity if I didn't buy it and never come back for support".

"He also said, if you're to stupid to fix it then go visit those miserable unhelpful bastards at the HyperSpin forum. Once they've worn you down with jargon you can't understand and you're so frustrated you want to smash your face in with a hammer, then come back to me and I'll log into your asshole and fix it for a fantastical amount of dollar"

Happy Happy, Joy Joy. ;)

I have watched some of his videos.  I think he is living and going to school in Canada, but is not Canadian...I think.

Does it matter?  He was recently talking about somehow syncing for updates as well...

Nope none of it matters if Shaw is American, Canadian or whatever. But I doubt Shaw is the person from the OP. I downloaded just the media part of his cause I was curious and to be honest that download was a complete mess. There's about 15gigs of redundant material, and large parts of it all in the wrong place. I recall a system "driving games" which contained all the themes from MAME?!? It was also uploaded in two different torrents. The first one completely corrupt and worthless, so he took that down and the second one took about 4 weeks to complete. So I doubt he has the intellect to manage such a thing where he can benefit from stealing others people information.

Neither is the case.  Never met the guy, just know where he lives because I purchased one of his drives for one of the guys I built a cabinet for.  They did not want to wait for me to finish my setup.

Hence why I am interested in knowing if this is in fact Chris' drive.  I have told my buddy to disconnect his drive till Austin can tell him what to look for.

You could always PM Austin and explain your situation, I'm positive he will give you a clear answer so you can help your friend.

Anyway The point here is Austin made some accusations without being too specific. And this has led to all this drama on almost 3 pages of forum posts. Some people will get affected by this and guess where they will end up... They will come here and look for assistance. Giga hit the nail on the head, I don't think he could be more accurate in his description of the issue lol

In the end people buy these things for about $ 450 if I'm not mistaken (depending on the setup) and honestly you get what you pay for. If I would have to count all the hours in labour I spend on my setup I wouldn't even come close to such an amount. *end rant* :D

Now if you excuse me I've got some more tinkering to do! :gamer:

• Avar unpinned this topic

Archived