Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Systems that don't work well with arcade controls

progets

I would like to figure out what systems can play well with a joystick and 8 arcade buttons (plus coin and start). I think the list of systems it can't play well will be shorter. I understand that some people use analog joysticks which would change this but I'm talking about old school digital joysticks.

So far these systems come to mind:

Nintendo 64

Game Cube

Wii

PlayStation 2

I know I can use a XBOX 360 or PS3 controller to play these but let's face it, it's very uncool to pull out a handheld controller when you have an arcade cabinet.

I know I can use a XBOX 360 or PS3 controller to play these but let's face it, it's very uncool to pull out a handheld controller when you have an arcade cabinet.

Not just uncool. It goes against the entire point of a cabinet and practically spits in the face of decades of arcade game heritage.

I'd say it's morally reprehensible. Practically a crime against all humanity. Anyone that does it should be rounded up and put into camps until we can decide how to dispose of them.

I understand that there are arcade sticks available for the PS2 but won't those need to have an analog joystick to play a lot of the games? Unless I'm overlooking something, I'm not aware of a way to have a digital joystick to mimic an analog joystick. Is there a way?

I understand that there are arcade sticks available for the PS2 but won't those need to have an analog joystick to play a lot of the games? Unless I'm overlooking something, I'm not aware of a way to have a digital joystick to mimic an analog joystick. Is there a way?

Not that I've found and I spent several hours recently looking for a way.

The only way I know of is to use U360 arcade joysticks which can run as 2-way, 4-way, 8-way, 48-way, diagonal, rotary, analog and even work as a mouse pointer.

I'm aware of the U360 option but they are expensive. I have a HyperSpin setup that I do use with a TV and handheld controllers to play newer games but I'm trying to get my cabinet as complete as possible without needing an analog stick. I plan to either leave these systems out or come up with some work around (I don't know if this is possible).

It all depends on the games more than the system imho. You could easily pick out a big bunch of games for all those systems that would work well with digital joysticks. A friend of mine still uses only the digital arrow keys on psx and ps2 instead of analog thumbstick whenever possible so I know it can be done in many games. But if you're aiming for completion the that's not a good option. I have digital joysticks only in my cab and I even play the sega model 2 driving game with it...yes it's not a steering wheel but who cares...for me it's more about the nostalgia and getting them up and running and I can play about all games I've tried with the digital joystick so far.

Not just uncool. It goes against the entire point of a cabinet and practically spits in the face of decades of arcade game heritage.

I'd say it's morally reprehensible. Practically a crime against all humanity. Anyone that does it should be rounded up and put into camps until we can decide how to dispose of them.

I

hear where you're coming from but sometimes we have to keep things practical and have to compromise.

I chose nice sanwa joysticks (for my bartop) as opposed to u360s because I like the tactile feedback. Yes this ruled out plenty of analog games even in mame alone but shit happens.

You will never get a one size fits all. Every joystick has its faults.

Heck is prefer to build a separate cab with a steering wheel, another with 4 ways, another full analog.... As opposite to a frankenmonster with everything on it. Now i sound like a hypocrite. ;)

I

hear where you're coming from but sometimes we have to keep things practical and have to compromise.

I chose nice sanwa joysticks (for my bartop) as opposed to u360s because I like the tactile feedback. Yes this ruled out plenty of analog games even in mame alone but shit happens.

You will never get a one size fits all. Every joystick has its faults.

Heck is prefer to build a separate cab with a steering wheel, another with 4 ways, another full analog.... As opposite to a frankenmonster with everything on it. Now i sound like a hypocrite. ;)

I've considered a Frankenmonster panel.

This would give me 2-way vert, 2-way horizontal, 4-way diag, 4-way, 8-way, 48-way, rotary, twin-stick, 2 player twin-stick, spinner, 2 player spinner, spinner-fire-alt, steering, 2 player steering, trackball, analog control, mouse control and probably a few I'm not even thinking of.

-2-Player

-Main joystick per player: a U360 with rotary

-2nd joystick per player (mounted above the top right button 4): Happ ball 8-way

-8 play buttons per player: Ultralux RGB

-1 push-pull spinner per player: Right of the play buttons

-1 track ball center top of panel

-2 pinball play buttons each panel box side far front.

-12 start/coin/admin buttons: Ultralux chrome outer, yellow, non-rgb yellow LED

All that for the cool, low price of about $1300+

I personally don't want an overly complicated or cluttered control panel. I prefer to play games requiring analog sticks on a TV with a gamepad since they can require many buttons and multiple analog sticks.

Maybe I should have started this topic as a listing of game systems that mainly use analog controls. Is there an automated way to sort games within a system that use analog sticks verses digital sticks in a similar way that MAME can split 2-way, 4-way, 8-ways sticks games?

I have an arcade system built (with a frankenpanel) and I recently built a "console case" (in a Silverstone ML08-H case).

I'm looking to split the two concepts and crossover where possible/practical.

That means I am going through all the ROMs and seeing whether I can play it on the arcade, console, or both. I'm also going through and seeing whether I want to include it (for example, why add an Atari version if you have the arcade version) because I would like to eventually put it all on a SSD drive when prices come down a bit and space is at a premium (I know the ROMs are small but the art associated is a factor as well).

Finally, I've been going through and ranking the ROMs (Top 25 + Honorable Mention) for each system using online rankings (eg IGN, Games Radar, etc.) and then a column for my own rankings. If anyone is interested in helping me get through the lists (using Excel/Google Sheets), I'd be happy to work with someone and post this information later.

anakin257, a few thoughts...

Your concept of playing each and every game sounds great but is too much for me. I was thinking of a more automated way such as including controller information in the database files to indicate digital or analog. Then you could use existing tools against the XML or DAT files to split the sets to work best for each setup. MAME does this today, why not other systems?

Why add an Atari version if you have the Arcade version... because a lot of people like to play the version they remember as a kid, even if the arcade version is better. I love to use HyperSearch for people that like to play but aren't huge gamers because they can see the videos of all the different systems and find "the one" they played as a kid.

I like your top 25 idea. I did a similar thing (web searches) and added the top 10 - 25 of each system to favorites in HyperSpin. Without this many people are overwhelmed on what to play.

• 1 year later...

Archived