Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Does Hyperspin need RetroArch?

Kenny Pilgrim

Personally I can't see me ever using RA. I don't give a damn about shaders. All the systems I run look great to me. I doubt I will ever even use HLSL/GLSL on mame. Just not into making it look like the old technology. Monitors, TV's, Phones and all the new handhelds did away with scanlines for a reason. They suck!

All that being said, I can still appreciate people who only play the real old stuff and want it to look as authentic as possible. To each their own.

I'm with Spawk. I try to use the original emus whenever possible and I also don't care for retro shaders or scanlines. That being said, I avoid any shaders or filters like the plague until at least 5th gen consoles.

What do you mean by smoothest transition? That's what fades are for.

Fades don't always work though depending on the emulator, window mode or full screen. Yes I use fades, however you still get the nicest transition into emulator with Retroarch, IMO.

But, some people hate Retroarch...dunno why because I find it to be pretty awesome. But again, personal preference...I like the CRT shaders, others don't. No biggy, we can all use what we like :))

Retroarch is not just about shaders. Once you setup one system, all other systems are really easy to setup because they are all setup the same way. You don't even need to configure anything in Retroarch. You can do it all from Rocket launcher.Just the fact that you can setup almost every system within a few minutes is more than enough reason to use it. You don't have to deal with every problem from every emulator. Retroarch provides a consistency that you will never get from using all separate emus.

It's called backing up before updating. If a core is broken in an update, just copy over the old one that was working. 

By the way, the stable release of Retroarch works fine. It's the nightly updates that end up with broken cores. With stand alone emulators you are using the latest proper release, so why not do the same with Retroarch? 

The only stand alone emus I use that are supported by Retroarch are Mame (and Mess), PSX (ePSXe) , 3DO (4DO), Dreamcast NullDC) and  PCFX (Medafen)

For Sega, Nintendo, NEC and handheld systems, Retroarch is the way to go. The cores are solid.

I got rid of Retroarch because I don't like the name and I think the font in their logo is ugly.

And the way the little space invader guy has his arms in the air makes it look like he's begging

for change. Like a hobo that smells bad.

...plus I only run arcade systems so I don't actually need it for anything.

I haven't had any issues with anything breaking in Retroarch...and it works flawlessly for me (so far) but hey, it's all about personal preference. No one makes anyone use what they don't want to, which is the beauty of choice :)

Not sure what the logo or any of that has to do with anything though Metal, you never see it :) Heheheh

As always, to each their own, use what you find best and most comfortable. 

Fades don't always work though depending on the emulator, window mode or full screen. Yes I use fades, however you still get the nicest transition into emulator with Retroarch, IMO.

A lot of old emulators like Kega Fusion launch into full screen rather sloppily. They make your screen blink or at least take a few seconds until the screen comes back from blackness. I love how RA, PCSX2 and Dolphin all launch in borderless full screen seamlessly. Supposedly borderless has extra lag than native full screen, but I couldn't notice a difference on my displays when I tested both modes.

Really surprised so many don't use retroarch.  The only gripe I have is that it has just a bit longer launch time than some of the standalone emus.   I use MAME for Arcade Classics.  I use retroarch for the publisher wheels (Atlus, Banpresto, etc.) so that I get a different feel since the games are duplicated.  Recently the MESS core has started working for me so I have dropped MESS for the most part.  I don't see anything wrong with either route.

A lot of old emulators like Kega Fusion launch into full screen rather sloppily. They make your screen blink or at least take a few seconds until the screen comes back from blackness. I love how RA, PCSX2 and Dolphin all launch in borderless full screen seamlessly. Supposedly borderless has extra lag than native full screen, but I couldn't notice a difference on my displays when I tested both modes.

Same results here.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to re-up an old thread, but just wondering if people's thoughts have shifted here at all?

I currently have a system built which is probably a year out of date - just wondering if there is value in shifting things over to retroarch (which I assume works in roughly the same way as any other emulator with HS and RL) or if i'm better off just updating each individual emulator?

Maintaining a single emulator certainly sounds like it would be preferable

There are good things about retroarch but documentation is a big problem. 

Its good for plenty of systems but if you can live without the advantages of learning one emulator, shaders, hotkeys and savestates then it's probably easier to use standalones. Also easier to find the info required with standalones. Idk how RocketLauncher handles RA but i think it negates some of the reasons for using retroarch in the first place

Archived