Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Commodore Amiga Nvidia Shield TV

Luvarim

30 minutes ago, reznnate said:

If you are using setup linked in Amiga post, each config file per game points at a specific location. The retroarch system folder does not apply.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In my system folder, I have kick31.rom.  I also have my amiga folder in the system folder.  Inside the system folder, I have an amiga folder.  Inside the amiga folder I have 3 folders, adf, config and hdf.  The adf and hdf folders have the roms.  The config folder contains the uae files for each game.  Each uae has "kickstart_rom_file=" which is the path to my kick31.rom file.  The uae also has two "hardfile=" lines which point to the WHDLoad.hdf and the rom hdf.  If the game is an adf it has a "floppy0=" line.  Isn't that correct?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

cool stuff guys.

That game.slave thing is a bitch

It's also the creating a hdf that's a bitch too. Using folders (or directories as they are called on the Amiga) is so much easier and quicker. 

You can have a look at the way it works on the pi here : http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/HostedProjects/RetroPieAmiga/

Setting up on the shield uses everything except for the configs. They need redoing to work with puae, which is old and archaic. 

9 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

In my system folder, I have kick31.rom.  I also have my amiga folder in the system folder.  Inside the system folder, I have an amiga folder.  Inside the amiga folder I have 3 folders, adf, config and hdf.  The adf and hdf folders have the roms.  The config folder contains the uae files for each game.  Each uae has "kickstart_rom_file=" which is the path to my kick31.rom file.  The uae also has two "hardfile=" lines which point to the WHDLoad.hdf and the rom hdf.  If the game is an adf it has a "floppy0=" line.  Isn't that correct?

Every adf game can be replaced with a better WHDload version.. Really easily with this method. 

Im thinking you need the amiga forever essentials kick roms and the .key file to make your WHDload.hdf

Think the AGA games need it.

Possibly. 

Im not hot on trouble shooting this as only set it up once and it works ok. Yet to test many games.

5 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Im thinking you need the amiga forever essentials kick roms and the .key file to make your WHDload.hdf

Think the AGA games need it.

Possibly. 

Im not hot on trouble shooting this as only set it up once and it works ok. Yet to test many games.

All games need them. AGA requie kick3.0 or 3.1, older games need kick1.3. However a lot are backwards compatible.

You can find the kick roms already ;) they are in the whdload.hdf however you will need to get them off. You can use the kick31.rom and copy it across and rename it to kick40068.A1200.rom ;) you can also google it.. This will be an important step to getting this working. I am going to post something shortly as I can't sleep

12 minutes ago, bippym said:

All games need them. AGA requie kick3.0 or 3.1, older games need kick1.3. However a lot are backwards compatible.

You can find the kick roms already ;) they are in the whdload.hdf however you will need to get them off. You can use the kick31.rom and copy it across and rename it to kick40068.A1200.rom ;) you can also google it.. This will be an important step to getting this working. I am going to post something shortly as I can't sleep

So that means you need multiple kick roms because certain games need different ones and somehow you need to figure out which need which kick rom because it needs to be specified in each UAE file?  What's confusing about this is my amiga setup came from Pouteur's archive and he only has kick31.rom in there so I assumed that rom would launch all the games in his archive?

8 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

So that means you need multiple kick roms because certain games need different ones and somehow you need to figure out which need which kick rom because it needs to be specified in each UAE file?  What's confusing about this is my amiga setup came from Pouteur's archive and he only has kick31.rom in there so I assumed that rom would launch all the games in his archive?

No no, WHDLoad does all the leg work :)

23 minutes ago, bippym said:

No no, WHDLoad does all the leg work :)

Well, I do have WHDLoad specified in each UAE, the paths point correctly to the files.

kickstart_rom_file=/storage/MYBOOKLIVE/Hyperspin/RetroArch/system/kick31.rom
hardfile=read-write,32,1,2,512,/storage/MYBOOKLIVE/Hyperspin/RetroArch/system/amiga/hdf/WHDLoad.hdf
hardfile=read-write,32,1,2,512,/storage/MYBOOKLIVE/Hyperspin/RetroArch/system/amiga/hdf/Aaargh.hdf

My ADF's have:

kickstart_rom_file=/storage/MYBOOKLIVE/Hyperspin/RetroArch/system/kick31.rom
nr_floppies=1
floppy0=/storage/MYBOOKLIVE/Hyperspin/RetroArch/system/amiga/adf/Airball.adf

5 hours ago, bippym said:

Guys, 

I have taken the setup shared by pouteur and made adjustments to not only work from folders, making it easier to update the slaves and also WHDload itself, but there is no need to rename every slave to game.slave

It works by using a setup made by a guy on the raspberry-pi, and with some minor adjustments I managed to get it running. The credit must go to Dom and the team. 

I will test some more before linking to everything you need and giving instructions on what you need to do. 

This doesn't include any artwork etc, just a better way to get games running 

Please put out some more info on this! I tried stuff from ultimate Amiga and asking in the retropie group but people weren't sure.

so stuck withe the renaming to game,slave (which has taken a very long time)

Sorry my retroarch stopped working last night. 

I advise all to stop working on this.until I am able to post more information. 

In the mean time download http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/HostedProjects/RetroPieAmiga/downloads/WHDLoad_Booter.zip

Once downloaded and unpacked copy The _BOOTWHD folder to where your hdfs are located. Make sure you copy the kickstart files into the _bootwhd/devs/kickstart folder with the right names. Kick13 should be renamed to  kick34005.A500 and kick3.1 renamed. To kick40068.A1200 note there is no .rom file extension.  

Download the WHDload ecs games pack from the site I linked to previously.. Once done copy the agony folder across to your hdf folder. 

I will shortly upload a replacement agony UAE that can be used as your template for most future configurations. 

I think I should post a little on the history of the Amiga, adfs, hdfs, and WHDload. 

The Amiga was released as a floppy disk based system. Most had some sort of disk based copy protection to stop piracy. The Amiga quickly developed a scene where the goal as to be the first to circumvent the copy protection and get it out. They usually put their intro (known as a cracktro) before the game booted. An example is the Fairlight screen mentioned previously. An adf is simply an image of the cracked disk and will often contain the cracktro etc. 

A hdf is simply a hard drive image, which is obviously faster. 99% of games were not made to be hard drive installable so in the laye 90s WHDload came Into existence. WHDload in its simplest form created a virtual machine of an earlier Amiga to allow games to be installed to hard drive. It worked by using a slave to interface with each game. Every game needs its own slave as they often had to patch bugs and also many implement improvements like multi button joystick or cd32 pad support, cheats etc.. In order for WHDload to work for some games it needs access to the kickstart files, and they need to be located in the correct place and named properly. This is in addition to the kick31.rom that is used. This is internal Amiga emulation and has nothing to do with retroarch or any other emulator. 

The person who created the original method for getting games working via hdf has done a good job, however it is very generic and a hdf is a closed system that is difficult to manipulate (often needing to be booted into an Amiga operating system environment). They are also a fixed size, and cannot be extended. 

If anyone needs more info please ask

Attached is the Agony.uae file you'll need to change the paths to where your files are. Backup your old one first. Make sure all files are in place and then give it a go.

I have issues with Retroarch currently. Nothing will work (I just get a black screen) and then it will force close. Any ideas? 

Agony.uae

4 hours ago, bippym said:

I think I should post a little on the history of the Amiga, adfs, hdfs, and WHDload. 

The Amiga was released as a floppy disk based system. Most had some sort of disk based copy protection to stop piracy. The Amiga quickly developed a scene where the goal as to be the first to circumvent the copy protection and get it out. They usually put their intro (known as a cracktro) before the game booted. An example is the Fairlight screen mentioned previously. An adf is simply an image of the cracked disk and will often contain the cracktro etc. 

A hdf is simply a hard drive image, which is obviously faster. 99% of games were not made to be hard drive installable so in the laye 90s WHDload came Into existence. WHDload in its simplest form created a virtual machine of an earlier Amiga to allow games to be installed to hard drive. It worked by using a slave to interface with each game. Every game needs its own slave as they often had to patch bugs and also many implement improvements like multi button joystick or cd32 pad support, cheats etc.. In order for WHDload to work for some games it needs access to the kickstart files, and they need to be located in the correct place and named properly. This is in addition to the kick31.rom that is used. This is internal Amiga emulation and has nothing to do with retroarch or any other emulator. 

The person who created the original method for getting games working via hdf has done a good job, however it is very generic and a hdf is a closed system that is difficult to manipulate (often needing to be booted into an Amiga operating system environment). They are also a fixed size, and cannot be extended. 

If anyone needs more info please ask

Attached is the Agony.uae file you'll need to change the paths to where your files are. Backup your old one first. Make sure all files are in place and then give it a go.

I have issues with Retroarch currently. Nothing will work (I just get a black screen) and then it will force close. Any ideas? 

Agony.uae

Ok we seriously need to chat about getting a FULL set working that matches the XML in the Official Amiga (WHDLoad) thread. One on last page. Has to be HS compatible with media in ny opinion.

I have sunk many hours into this and @sanchezmike01 has also put more into it than me. I really want to get this all squared away as the simpliest method for Shield users. With a full guide.

So if you have an easier way the Allan Lindquvist's to work with the retroArch PUAE core for launching syaight from HS that would be awesome.

FYI probably will still cary on with the current method as its to far along to stop and gives a solid option.

I really hope we can work someyhing good out

6 hours ago, bippym said:

Sorry my retroarch stopped working last night. 

I advise all to stop working on this.until I am able to post more information. 

In the mean time download http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/HostedProjects/RetroPieAmiga/downloads/WHDLoad_Booter.zip

Once downloaded and unpacked copy The _BOOTWHD folder to where your hdfs are located. Make sure you copy the kickstart files into the _bootwhd/devs/kickstart folder with the right names. Kick13 should be renamed to  kick34005.A500 and kick3.1 renamed. To kick40068.A1200 note there is no .rom file extension.  

Download the WHDload ecs games pack from the site I linked to previously.. Once done copy the agony folder across to your hdf folder. 

I will shortly upload a replacement agony UAE that can be used as your template for most future configurations. 

I followed all of these steps and Agony boots and gets to a prompt.  Immediately after "All Rights Reserved" my cursor is to the right of a prompt "1>".  Seems like it wants me to type something?  BTW, this process is much better in my opinion, so much better if we can get it working.

This seems great to try for all the hdfs that  errored out in the process of making the hdfs....as far as the other guy who says he can't get the hdfs to work, my suggestion is use the path from the sample uae cfg....for some weird reason my hdf games didn't work from my hdd location...once I moved the location to the shield root location they all boot up....the next PROBLEM is finding the correct sizes for the hdf games....I don't think there is 1 universal setting for all games...like addams family loads fine bUT donkey kong seems too large. When I start that game I can't see to bottom part when the gameconomy starts....that uea file will need to be adjusted for height

3 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Ok we seriously need to chat about getting a FULL set working that matches the XML in the Official Amiga (WHDLoad) thread. One on last page. Has to be HS compatible with media in ny opinion.

I have sunk many hours into this and @sanchezmike01 has also put more into it than me. I really want to get this all squared away as the simpliest method for Shield users. With a full guide.

So if you have an easier way the Allan Lindquvist's to work with the retroArch PUAE core for launching syaight from HS that would be awesome.

FYI probably will still cary on with the current method as its to far along to stop and gives a solid option.

I really hope we can work someyhing good out

Okay... Firstly this is a viable, and much better option than the other one. That was fine as it was.. This is just far better.. The benefits are simple

1. Really easy to setup once you have one working, most should work
  2. WHDLoad installs are sometimes updated. It's much easier to copy the files across than either remake the HDF or make the changes within an emulated Amiga environment
  3. Once this is setup changing the path on 1500 UAE configs is really easy with notepad++ (Trust me, it's how I did it initially)
  4. This way you can edit any of the WHDLoad optional settings if the slave developer added them (Like trainers and such). The old way cannot do this
  5. Every single Amiga game can be added easily if there is a slave.

I plan to get this running with the games that are in the initial package. As far as Amiga is concerned I have a tonne of experience.. When it comes to hyperspin i'm definitely a virgin.

My long term goal is to get UAE4ARM working to allow us to launch it from hyperspin, it is far more configurable, and much more compatible.

52 minutes ago, sanchezmike01 said:

This seems great to try for all the hdfs that  errored out in the process of making the hdfs....as far as the other guy who says he can't get the hdfs to work, my suggestion is use the path from the sample uae cfg....for some weird reason my hdf games didn't work from my hdd location...once I moved the location to the shield root location they all boot up....the next PROBLEM is finding the correct sizes for the hdf games....I don't think there is 1 universal setting for all games...like addams family loads fine bUT donkey kong seems too large. When I start that game I can't see to bottom part when the gameconomy starts....that uea file will need to be adjusted for height

What do you mean by sizes for all hdf games? Let's move away from HDF as they are limited in scope. There are a lot of different adjustments we can make within each uae file to improve things. Right now I am working on getting games to boot, and then I'll look at other options.

3 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

I followed all of these steps and Agony boots and gets to a prompt.  Immediately after "All Rights Reserved" my cursor is to the right of a prompt "1>".  Seems like it wants me to type something?  BTW, this process is much better in my opinion, so much better if we can get it working.

Can you send me screenshots of your _BootWHD and Agony folders and your attach uae file so I can make sure they match perfectly. The "1>." basically means there is nothing there so Amiga is just defaulting to a cli environment.

4 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

Hi aftermath17.,

I have tried all the game that i put on my files and all worked great for me.

I dont understand why that doesn't worked for you.

This is awesome, between us all we will get this sorted. #android teamwork...barf

@bippym hit is up with HS issues I'm limited in game/system problems but fairly good with hyperspin.

i have some batch files to easily make config files. It's just the per game settings to sort out. I have a spreadsheet started for compatibility and art completeness. 

The VERY 1st step is to pick a database and work out a naming conventions because that is key to efficiently getting hyperspin to work at a high standard. P M me your gmail address if you have one. 

20 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

This is awesome, between us all we will get this sorted. #android teamwork...barf

@bippym it is up with HS issues I'm limited in game/system problems but fairly good with hyperspin.

i have some batch files to easily make config files. It's just the per game settings to sort out. I have a spreadsheet started for compatibility and art completeness. 

The VERY 1st step is to pick a database and work out a naming conventions because that is key to efficiently getting hyperspin to work at a high standard. P M me your gmail address if you have one. 

The naming conventions are pretty much already in place. Simply download the ECS game packs from the link before and there are the folder names. The configs also work with PUAE if the paths are changed, and a script within notepad++ can do that for me..

Issues we have currently are a lot of games that require an a500 kickstart (ROM) won't work in PUAE. I have tested them in PUAE and then exactly the same (config and everything) with uae4arm and they booted perfectly

32 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@bippym it is up with HS issues I'm limited in game/system problems but fairly good with hyperspin.

The naming conventions are pretty much already in place. Simply download the ECS game packs from the link before and there are the folder names. The configs also work with PUAE if the paths are changed, and a script within notepad++ can do that for me..

Issues we have currently are a lot of games that require an a500 kickstart (ROM) won't work in PUAE. I have tested them in PUAE and then exactly the same (config and everything) with uae4arm and they booted perfectly

4 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Although config files may help the naming issues it depends how they get created at the final stage and it there is an easy acces script to do it.

The config files are what is important for naming conventions. What the folder is called is a little less relevant as long as the config points to the right place

Okay so... 

Any game that needs the kick34005.a500 will not work this way. I have tested every single one with uae4arm using the exact same config and they all work. 

So far the following do not work 

Alien Syndrome

Another World

Arabian Nights

3 hours ago, bippym said:

What do you mean by sizes for all hdf games? Let's move away from HDF as they are limited in scope. There are a lot of different adjustments we can make within each uae file to improve things. Right now I am working on getting games to boot, and then I'll look at other options.

Can you send me screenshots of your _BootWHD and Agony folders and your attach uae file so I can make sure they match perfectly. The "1>." basically means there is nothing there so Amiga is just defaulting to a cli environment.

See attached images.

amiga.JPG

amiga2.JPG

I agree that uae4arm is probably the best solution for anything amiga.......the major issue on the android side is not being able 2 launch from the wheel...as of right now on my setup which is roughly 200 wheels for android the apk or emulators that cannot launch from the wheel or which I haven't figured out yet are as follows ..scummvm, openbor, magic box (msdos), flash games, and uae4arm for amiga cd32 and amiga cdtv ...for all of these I can launch from the wheel but then go into the emulator screen where u have to manually pick the game u want to launch...as far as cd32 and cdtv are concerned I made config files for all the games I have for these with the proper settings so all I gotta do is double click the config which is obviously named as the game and then it boots up with no issues....so at this point it's down to the 2nd emulator action ...all these emulators always have 1 or 2 actions that must occur to properly launch from a front end....in the case of uae4arm we all have the 1st action which launches the emulator but I don't know the 2nd action that much occur to insure uae4arm launch the game config to autolaod

Archived