Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Commodore Amiga Nvidia Shield TV

Luvarim

49 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I got the beta app now. Still having a hell of a time understanding how to get this sorted simply though!

Also getting zero time on the shield aa its the main TV. Wifey is hogging it lately.

@Honosuseri did you have any ideas on a reference romset for config naming? My 1st step would be to create a spreadsheet for tracking tested games

I understand with 2000+ games its going to be a long standing project

Mate, if your Wife is using the box... you are WINNING ;) If she enjoys using it there's no need to "justify" the purchase...meeeybe get another one :P

Short answer....no I haven't.
Long answer...

I've not touched it since testing the CDTV. I had a friend drop his RPI 3 (Arcade/media centre) off over the weekend, did it a year ago and needs updating. David Marti has done great work with his Motion Blue (HyperPie) project. He's translated the Hyperspin database files so it's dead easy to port HyperSpin assets across. I'd have liked to have done more with the Amiga so I could have reused those "assets" for the Pi as well.

I don't think Amiga will be too bad to be honest, I'm keeping it as one wheel (Mr. Sanchez has split his ECS/AGA). We'll need some adjustments to the .xml for a few games to launch and obviously rename their artwork accordingly. CD32 will be a bitch as the whole .xml looks like it needs to be redone and the artwork. As you know the emulator can't launch if the name has special characters (that includes "space"!).

I'm multitasking best I can ;) I need this RPI 3 out the way and I have a guitar across my knee, trying to get "Nightcrawler" by Judas Priest ingrained in my muscle memory before Halloween....then I'll return to the Shield and try out some WHDload packs :)

EDIT for P.S

My main "concern" is that the emulator is still in Beta to use launch intent. I'd prefer to continue once it's out of Beta in case they make any significant advances, rendering all our extra efforts pointless. HyperSpin isn't the only Frontend on Android so I'd hope launch intent is up there on the list of stuff for them to work on.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as naming it ain't too bad...lolz....when I 1st started on amiga I literally renamed all my Amiga roms after unzipping them....took about a week to complete ..lmao....but the good thing was that the names all had things like ecs,aga,cd32,cdtv, and prototypes in it....that made separating them really easy as all I had 2 do was search for esc then cut and paste all roms with ecs in the name......i then made a batch script for uae files with about 200 lines in the batch give or take...that made it possible for me to make over 2000 uae files in 5 minutes.....that left me with time to concentrate on fixing wheels and art but then I stopped and moved on to doing other projects....i need to try 2 find all my files because I recently reformatted my laptop and didn't back anything up...hopefully I kept records and copies of everything on one of my drives....i have a few drives for storage between me and my wife so I'm hoping 1 of them has at least my batch script for uae files....the unzipping and renaming is the hardest part not too bad

4 minutes ago, sanchezmike01 said:

Is there a difference from the version we got a while back ?...i am already able to launch Amiga games but haven't started on cd32 as of yet...still working on super famicom with 200 boxes to go out of 560....making art is excruciating...smh

Honestly I didn't follow what you guys were doing too closely. You're using Retroarch correct? As much as I love RA, cores can and do mysteriously disappear from the build bot. I have been using UAE4ARM for a while now and dedicated emulators have their place...I admit Retroarch powers much of my HyperSpin collection though.

I know some people were making .hdf files for the games then making the .uae to launch it. From what I understand the Ultimate Amiga WHDload collection is being renamed here and there. We can release a .uae collection BUT some of those files would need editing down the line if the WHDload folder names alter. Ideally we want a "game rom set" that will be left alone...

I was using a WHDload zip set (don't ask me what one) but we need the folders not zips to load. I noticed the ultimate Amiga WHDload collection was short a few games I had in "my" original collection. Thatman and I are just spit balling ideas and hoping we can find a set to recommend once he works on an Amiga guide.

I'm using uae4arm....ecs and aga both launch for me...when I 1st started i used the whdload games....but my set was an older version ...i never checked to see what improvements if any between my old set and the newer set.. the reason why I kept my older set was because I liked the artwork better ...the boxart was thicker and i think taller than the updated set which seemed a bit more narrow...i could have probably batched the resize of the newer set but I honestly didn't want to do the whole unzipping and renaming of whdload folders again...lol

All cool...it will get there eventually. I dont expect folder names to change much with UA, think I asked that question over there.

I did notice that a recent commit to UAE4Arm added some extra compression support but didnt recognise the format. Maybe .lha will get added :)

1 hour ago, sanchezmike01 said:

I'm using uae4arm....ecs and aga both launch for me...when I 1st started i used the whdload games....but my set was an older version ...i never checked to see what improvements if any between my old set and the newer set.. the reason why I kept my older set was because I liked the artwork better ...the boxart was thicker and i think taller than the updated set which seemed a bit more narrow...i could have probably batched the resize of the newer set but I honestly didn't want to do the whole unzipping and renaming of whdload folders again...lol

Yes I feel your pain Mike. I lied to you though..I do have Super Famicom artwork. I had forgotten because I hate it...looks like a cube not a game box. The last lot of resizing I did was for cartridge artwork so it would "slot" into the console for the system theme.

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

All cool...it will get there eventually. I dont expect folder names to change much with UA, think I asked that question over there.

I did notice that a recent commit to UAE4Arm added some extra compression support but didnt recognise the format. Maybe .lha will get added :)

I would think CD32 is the next logical call. Fewer games and the CD images are definitely not changing. We just need to rename database and artwork for the .uae files, POuteur seems to be doing well. For Amiga, WHDload will NOT cover all the games though, some are .adf like "Rorke's Drift" (think Zulu with Michael Caine) off the top of my head. I don't know the limit for floppy drives we can mount (the GUI allows 3 I think), some games were on a stupid number of floppies, hopefully most of those are WHDloaded.

It's great they are working away on the emulator, seeing compression support is GOOD. I think I'll leave Amiga alone for a little while longer and see what happens with UAE4ARM...I can launch the games with Workbench anyway so I'm in no rush. If they get it working with zip games that's great, as that's what the HyperSpin Database appears to be named after. If they could make it less fussy about the names through launch intent that would be even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think CD32 is the next logical call. Fewer games and the CD images are definitely not changing. We just need to rename database and artwork for the .uae files, POuteur seems to be doing well. For Amiga, WHDload will NOT cover all the games though, some are .adf like "Rorke's Drift" (think Zulu with Michael Caine) off the top of my head. I don't know the limit for floppy drives we can mount (the GUI allows 3 I think), some games were on a stupid number of floppies, hopefully most of those are WHDloaded.

It's great they are working away on the emulator, seeing compression support is GOOD. I think I'll leave Amiga alone for a little while longer and see what happens with UAE4ARM...I can launch the games with Workbench anyway so I'm in no rush. If they get it working with zip games that's great, as that's what the HyperSpin Database appears to be named after. If they could make it less fussy about the names through launch intent that would be even better.
Hi guys,

Sorry for not being active on here. I saw Honosuseri's video on YouTube and replied a couple of times without realising he was here.

Anyway with regards to uae4arm I am not sure it is actually being actively developed. Lubomyr who releases it just updates the sources from the Pandora sources whenever TomB releases an update. There are no plans I don't think for any other android specific development or fixes. TomB looks to be moving over go the rpi version of amiberry which is on constant development. I am in touch with the team and they are hopeful amiberry will be forked to different platforms including android. I plan to go some comparisons with amiberry and uae4arm and see if I can at least get amiberry to compile and run on android. The work they are doing on input and controls right now is amazing.

With regards to uae4arm and Amiga on the shield. I used a home made python script to rename everything for me. It's very crude and not really suitable for use by anyone other than myself. I have thought about cleaning it up and adding command line input but I'm not sure right now if I have the time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for dropping in with the info [mention=159104]bippym[/mention]. Could you drop a link for the best place to keep an eye on amiberry dev?
I will google but sometimes its hard to figure out the best place with so many results!!
Amiberry development is confined to a slack group, this is where the info comes from. Sadly it's invite only. Currently only the pi is being developed, time and a lack of understanding is hindering me (I can't even get uae4arm to compile!

Here is the github.com page for amiberry https://github.com/midwan/amiberry

They are working and an sdl2 port also which I hope will be more compatible and run better than the sdl 1 version.

Unfortunately the issues here are down to a lack of support for the Amiga on Android. This is also the best place to discuss hyperspin and Amiga on it, but for general Amiga discussion and understanding an. Amiga dedicated forum is much better suited.

Sadly I seem to be the only person who is trying to get things moving on Android and my knowledge of programming is confined to the Amiga back in the 90s

Fair enough, bit of a tough spot.

It seems andriod emu dev is not very active at all generally. Hopefully things pick up in the future and you keep learning you way around the dev side.

Maybe a port to Libretro would be something the Amiberry crew may consider. I noticed a user request it on Retroarch forums

I know my limits and simple programing is beyond them let alone emu related programming!

I will keep my ears open and maybe get the current Amiga situation documented when I get time if it hasnt changed by then

I honestly think the uae4arm dev did enough to get it running and added android controls like on screen. No doubting his abilities there. He doesn't understand the uae code though and can't even fix the sound bug (put it in mono or change the frequency).

I'd love to see more users on EAB etc but I also respect that most users just want to play games in their devices as simply as possible.

I doubt a there will be a retroarch core

2 hours ago, bippym said:

Hi guys,

Sorry for not being active on here. I saw Honosuseri's video on YouTube and replied a couple of times without realising he was here.

No apology necessary my friend.

Thank you for the extra information. I will now go ahead and rename the "problem" entries in the Amiga.xml and also the artwork I have...I was going to wait and see if the emulator was updated/improved BUT now you've told me it's not really "actively being worked on", I might as well bite the bullet and crack on.

Thanks for all your efforts and the other guys too. I've really enjoyed seeing more videos online as people get their Amiga Wheels setup. I loved this system as a Kid (still do) and I know many others feel the same.

It'll be updated as TomB updates Pandora, but he is possibly stopping development so uae4arm will also stop.

Midwan is attempting to compile uae4arm for android right now to see where I was going wrong. Fingers crossed as it shouldn't be a huge issue to then merge with amiberry

For any games missing a WHDload install head over to EAB and request it.

I'm curious how is everyone setting up the controls on the uae files for amiga....yesterday I looked at the Amiga wheel to see how much work needs to be done to make it look nice and presentable...i booted street fighter 2 but couldn't press start as there was no start button set ..when I looked at the uae (basically used the files from the Amiga pi group) the controller is only up,down,left,right and button A and button B....some games can load and play with that button mapping but others cant

Its funny how out of all the systems this one has caught my attention the most. I had never heard of it before using Hyperspin :( I still know very little about the amiga but its a great addition to this retro hobby of mine.

At some point we will figure out a clear path and have a custom android database with artwork and uae files all sorted for future users. Man its a pain not being able to talk about romsets lol

Bulk rename utility is the perfect app for adding/removing special characters to the file names. Its the DB thats harder. Although i think I did get a script from agent47 to replace spaces for _ in the xml. All depends on the romset. Think thats why I never pushed on with it.

18 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Its funny how out of all the systems this one has caught my attention the most. I had never heard of it before using Hyperspin :( I still know very little about the amiga but its a great addition to this retro hobby of mine.

At some point we will figure out a clear path and have a custom android database with artwork and uae files all sorted for future users. Man its a pain not being able to talk about romsets lol

Bulk rename utility is the perfect app for adding/removing special characters to the file names. Its the DB thats harder. Although i think I did get a script from agent47 to replace spaces for _ in the xml. All depends on the romset. Think thats why I never pushed on with it.

Congrats on the Admin role! :) 

What's the sad face for though? Not everyone was lucky enough to own one, they were quite expensive back in the day. I was fortunate to also have a HDD for my A500, if memory serves it was as expensive as the Amiga itself (although it's size is pitiful by today's standards!!). Emulation for me is about preservation, always makes me smile seeing friends get excited about a system or game they thought was lost for all time.

I know some of you guys will think I'm bonkers doing so much stuff manually. I've never really trusted using "automated tools" BUT I do respect the guys who create them! I see Mr. Sanchez is having control issues. Emulator problems aside, the Amiga really needs a keyboard and mouse to make the most of it. Street Fighter you can start by just pressing a joystick button...Street Fighter 2 you need to press 1 or 2 on the keyboard...some games it will be F1 and so on. The "Y" & "B" buttons on the pad I tend to set as whatever will be most useful to that game. Walker for example needs F1 to start but then you can get by using the gamepad for joystick and mouse control.

I've already edited the CD32.xml, luckily it has fewer games. The Amiga.xml didn't seem too bad as most of the names do match the WHDload zip names, there's a few exceptions like Batman The Movie. I look forward to seeing what these developments with Amiberry for Android are.

Archived