Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

"Flynn's" Arcade Cabinet build (my first)!

lildivaaa

Hello all,

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally arrived! May I present to you the completed "FLYNN'S" - my arcade cabinet! I can't thank RecRoom Masters and Gamer Outfitters enough, for their wonderful cabinets, custom graphics and helpful staff and services! You helped make my dreams come true...THANK YOU!!!!

I didn't want to "theme" the cabinet for any specific game or genera of games. But I wanted "something" that would represent classic arcade games. I'm a big TRON fan!! In both TRON (1982) and TRON: Legacy (2010), one of the main characters is Kevin Flynn. Kevin owns an arcade called "Flynn's" and I thought THAT would be perfect to theme for my cabinet.

There have been some "modifications" (to say the least) to really make this my own:

- Using an X-Arcade Tankstick controller - modified with 4way/8way joysticks, spinner control & Coin Drop Pushbuttons added to the coin door but tied to the controller

- RecRoom Master's 22" Xtension Arcade Cabinet - modified with a 2nd 23" LED monitor in place of the back-lit marquee. Using HyperMarquee, I split the monitor's screen into 2 fields...one, for the marquee images themselves (it changes ONLY when a game is selected to start) and two, a secondary field for "advertisement" images that go along with the theme of the cabinet (these changes every 20 seconds with random images I've created)

- I've modified each marquee image to accurately fit the dimensions of the marquee area provided by the Xtension cabinet.

- All bezel graphics I've created are to best replicate the original look each game and to fill in the entire screen.

So, with that...here are some pics of pride and joy! I hope you like them. Believe me...I had a hell of a great time creating it!

post-1029-0-65241100-1454343327_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-30260100-1454343330_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-82311300-1454343332_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-17313100-1454343335_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-79368400-1454343337_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-01711300-1454343343_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-52632400-1454343345_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-71230900-1454343347_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-14276500-1454343350_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-55131700-1454343361_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-01860300-1454343364_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-65823700-1454343366_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-20887600-1454343369_thumb.jpg

Great job! Love the marquee idea and splitting the monitor into 2 sections. I will be using this idea when I build my cabinet :) Was the monitor hard to set up?

Thank you scooter1974 for the appreciation! The practical setup of the second monitor was pretty straight forward, so was the modifying of the cabinet (although woodworking's not one of my strengths). The "work" came when I was setting up HyperMarquee. There are SO many things you can do with HyperMarquee and at first I started out with some grand ideas (ex. game info, flyer display, scrolling text, etc.) But I found all that action took away from the theme I was going for.

Look up a user here in the forums called "sevenseal". He is most helpful when it come to setup and configuration of HyperMarquee. That's who I went to when I'd get stuck.

did you add those poker buttons to the coin door yourself or did it come like that?

Hey Anpanman! Thank you for looking into my project. Yes, I added those pushbuttons to the coin door I had purchased. The coin door itself was a fake, just a false front made for MAME cabinet projects with no working coin mechs. It was just for looks. I was able to remove the coin return buttons and replace them with the pushbuttons..

Here's a link where you can get the same coin door and the pushbuttons:

SMALL DOOR AND DIE CAST METAL FRAME ASSEMBLY FOR HOME ARCADE CABINET, 2 ENTRY

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_doors/40-0713-00

NovaGemCDR™ Coin Drop Replacement Pushbutton

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

Thank you scooter1974 for the appreciation! The practical setup of the second monitor was pretty straight forward, so was the modifying of the cabinet (although woodworking's not one of my strengths). The "work" came when I was setting up HyperMarquee. There are SO many things you can do with HyperMarquee and at first I started out with some grand ideas (ex. game info, flyer display, scrolling text, etc.) But I found all that action took away from the theme I was going for.

Look up a user here in the forums called "sevenseal". He is most helpful when it come to setup and configuration of HyperMarquee. That's who I went to when I'd get stuck.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips :)

Awesome! Thanks for the tips :)

sccoter1974,

Please keep in mind that there are actually TWO pieces of software you need to setup in order for HyperMarquee to work correctly with HyperSpin:

HyperSpin Event Dispatch System (EDS) 0.7.5

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7391-hyperspin-event-dispatch-system-eds/

HyperMarquee 0.4.8

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7397-hypermarquee/

Oh, and here's info on that user "sevenseal":

SEVENSEAL

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/user/19166-sevenseal/

Hey Anpanman! Thank you for looking into my project. Yes, I added those pushbuttons to the coin door I had purchased. The coin door itself was a fake, just a false front made for MAME cabinet projects with no working coin mechs. It was just for looks. I was able to remove the coin return buttons and replace them with the pushbuttons..

Here's a link where you can get the same coin door and the pushbuttons:

SMALL DOOR AND DIE CAST METAL FRAME ASSEMBLY FOR HOME ARCADE CABINET, 2 ENTRY

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_doors/40-0713-00

NovaGemCDR™ Coin Drop Replacement Pushbutton

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

Yeah, I'm not new to restores and making new cabs so i recognized it as a happ door. I asked because i recently saw something similar for a 3d printing project. I've been meaning to find someone with a 3d printer to see if they would be willing to make a coin return bezel for happ doors that will accept poker style buttons like this project.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:885152

Yeah, I'm not new to restores and making new cabs so i recognized it as a happ door. I asked because i recently saw something similar for a 3d printing project. I've been meaning to find someone with a 3d printer to see if they would be willing to make a coin return bezel for happ doors that will accept poker style buttons like this project.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:885152

Oh wow! I never though of 3D printing the pieces like that, then add the button. That actually looks very cool!!! If you happen to actually do this for your projects in the future, please keep me in mind and send an update with how it turns out!

Oh wow! I never though of 3D printing the pieces like that, then add the button. That actually looks very cool!!! If you happen to actually do this for your projects in the future, please keep me in mind and send an update with how it turns out!

Yeah, i plan on finding someone soon i hope. I have tons of scrap spare happ parts here from coin door restores so sending out a sample of the return button isn't a problem. happ, as opposed to the Wico and Coin controls coin doors are still being manufactured so these coin doors are a perfect candidate for something like this.

sccoter1974,

Please keep in mind that there are actually TWO pieces of software you need to setup in order for HyperMarquee to work correctly with HyperSpin:

HyperSpin Event Dispatch System (EDS) 0.7.5

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7391-hyperspin-event-dispatch-system-eds/

HyperMarquee 0.4.8

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7397-hypermarquee/

Oh, and here's info on that user "sevenseal":

SEVENSEAL

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/user/19166-sevenseal/

Cheers!

The skinny marquee monitor? That surely is smaller than 23 right?

Nope. That is a standard 23" Dell monitor. Now....I did remove it from it's housing, so "technically" it's 21.5"...which is EXACTLY the width of the cabinet.

I cut a long slit across the top of the cabinet (just deep enough for the bare LED monitor to fit through), an aligned it to where the original backlit marquee would have installed.

This effectively gave me TWO separate fields now...the marquee area and the area above. Using HyperMarquee, I was able to assign separate images to each field. They both have their own instructions on how to behave while HyperSpin is running.

The skinny marquee monitor? That surely is smaller than 23 right?

Oh...and also, used a piece of clear plexiglass in front of the marquee section...to give it the "feel" of a real backlit marquee. The top section is just the bare monitor. So with these two "looks", it helps preserve the illusion of two separate LED displays.

Took some time this evening to do a tiny bit of "dressing up" on Flynn's. You all know, below the joystick on the control panel there is a little disc. It's called a "dust washer"...basically to help keep dust and dirt out of the joystick's mechanisms. Well...since I'm using 4way/8way joysticks, I wanted to do something that would tell anyone playing on the cabinet how to change it from a 4way to an 8way, and vise versa.

So, I disassembled the joysticks and removed the dust washers...then using 2" round Avery labels, I created "instructions"!

post-1029-0-41871100-1454569028_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-29489000-1454569027_thumb.jpg

BONUS - While I had the controller open, I took the opportunity to clean the trackball rollers inside. The trackball has been running an bit rough lately and movements a little jerky.

Remember the first computer mouse and how it had a roller ball inside? And sometimes the mouse wouldn't function as well because dirt and gunk had gotten on the rollers inside.

Well...same principle! After cleaning them up...everything's a smooth as glass!

post-1029-0-93517700-1454569235_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-36588000-1454569235_thumb.jpgpost-1029-0-44550200-1454569234_thumb.jpg

Fantastic build!

I LOVE the old school Flynn theme, very classy (I to am a Tron fan!). That mixed with the hi-tec two part marque/advert. display solution...Amazing build. Your attention to detail is wonderful, I especially like the dust cover joystick instructions and the push-button coin mec. and your simple but effective control layout is spot on. Not too overloaded and plenty of room for the two players without getting in each others way, unlike some of the other builds I have seen.

Congratulations

im2xtreem

Fantastic build!

I LOVE the old school Flynn theme, very classy (I to am a Tron fan!). That mixed with the hi-tec two part marque/advert. display solution...Amazing build. Your attention to detail is wonderful, I especially like the dust cover joystick instructions and the push-button coin mec. and your simple but effective control layout is spot on. Not too overloaded and plenty of room for the two players without getting in each others way, unlike some of the other builds I have seen.

Congratulations

im2xtreem

Thank you im2xtreem for all those kind words! I am very proud of my build. The exterior is complete...but this will always be a work-in-progress, internally.

I think my next will be a cocktail version!

Archived