Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How did you choose your artwork? (and help with mine!)

vaderag

With a printer it mostly uses CMYK to make the colours so when it comes to print a designer can for example look at a Pantone colour chart select a colour while in cmyk and the printed colour will be as close as possible to it. When you design something purely on a screen you are relying on the monitor which shows in rgb for colour matching, so to get as close as possible to what you see is to design it in rgb the problem is monitors are all different but your results will be much better from rgb. Run a test print to check and if possible get the print company to run you a test too

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need some opinion... i've reached a mental block...

Can anyone tell me which of the following they think works best (bearing in mind the Bubble Bobble vs Street Fighter theme and the fact that the CP design will resonate through the sides and marquee)

1) Bubble v SF vertical

ZTct8TI.jpg

2) Bubble v SF X version

Et7kXUW.png

3) Full width bubbles, Vertical Line - i know this doesnt necessarily reflect the SF theme so much (tho that is represented in the Joy Directions) but feel it's more unifed

UydR9M0.png

4) Full Width Bubbles, X Design (vertical lightning optional)

GFayfZc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still watching this, but i've spent a bit of time doing the following... 

Vectorized the SF health Bar per the below - the idea worked in my head, but on the 'page' i don't feel it looks right - makes the panel too cluttered, so probably going to scrap it...

SF7O01m.jpg

The keen eyed of you will notice that the admin section at the top mirrors the EXTEND bubbles from Bubble Bobble...

So, i think i'm setting on the below... still undecided on whether to add the X lightning I had above - again, feel it maybe clutters it too much...

zbBhOki.jpg

SO... remaining to do list is:

• Increase colour vibrancy - i want the purple to pop a bit more
  • Match Yellows - there are a couple of different shades there between P2 and P1
  • Vecorize the P1 and P2 joystick surrounds. This will involve straightening up the P1 ones (maybe) as they are currently a bit wonky due to being taken straight from the Bubble Bobble scales on the Marquee. P2 was taken from the SFII Marquee and has a few rough edges so want to try iron those out while still giving the battered appearance
  • Blur the background images together a bit better. It's not hugely noticable above, but there is a fairly distinct line where the join. I've tried blurring this but it didn't have much effect, so going to gradient them together...
  • Play around with the bottom section a bit - not 100% sure on the placement of the logos, although happy enough for now...

I like how it's shaping up. However I prefer this one you did for the SF side outlines

Rg8V6W2.png

I think breaking up those button-bubbles helps give that side a bit more street fighter feel.

Maybe not exactly like that or those colors as the Street Fighter Logo is bright yellow and red, not pink and orange.

And maybe the outer edge more jagged and ripped like the SF logo actually is.

I like how it's shaping up. However I prefer this one you did for the SF side outlines

Rg8V6W2.png

I think breaking up those button-bubbles helps give that side a bit more street fighter feel.

Maybe not exactly like that or those colors as the Street Fighter Logo is bright yellow and red, not pink and orange.

And maybe the outer edge more jagged and ripped like the SF logo actually is.

Actually, those colours are taken directly from the SFII marquee - they are 100% SF colours!!

I may revisit that idea, but by the same token I think I prefer it being whole... O know it's not quite as SF, but I think it gives a more uniform feel to the design... I don't want it to be two different machines jammed together, I'd like to get a coherent combi theme if that makes sense?

Really appreciate the feedback - keeps me on the straight and narrow!!

Very nearly finished the CP design :)

One final decision I have is whether to go with a faded colour or stick with the blue wash that i'd been planning on the Bubble Bobble side:

Originally planned Blue

MsF2B6Z.jpg

Colour:

rfPV7YS.jpg

Any thoughts?

So that would leave the final design as:

67426f458133480d984b0c67e721763e.png

For refence, with straight blue it would be:

nS1Mi1Y.jpg

I feel like i've wasted quite a lot of time of this, but I tried out a few things that didn't work, and spent time on little niggly things that most people would never notice, but if you know they are there they're gonna annoy you!!

What exactly is that in the background on the Street Fighter side?

Your previous version looked a bit like asphalt maybe? This one looks a bit more like pop-corn.

EDIT: Where you going to add admin buttons for volume up/down or control volume a different way?

EDIT 2: If it were me I would move the P1 & P2 buttons to the outside so they're more obvious and instead of having Coin buttons on the cab you could get Coin buttons that go onto the coin mech. Like these http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

EDIT 3: Also if you're also going to play PC games on this cab (Street Fighter IV, Killer Instinct, Bro Force, Double Dragon Remix, Strider etc...) don't forget that you will either want a dedicated Enter button or map one of your existing buttons to double as Enter.

For example on my cab my Coin button is down on the front of the Control panel facing forward. I use it as my Enter and Coin button. And instead of having a dedicated exit button you hold down the P1 button and press the same coin button. Until I did that people were constantly hitting exit all the time (mid-game, on accident, just wondering what it did etc... pain in the ass)

What exactly is that in the background on the Street Fighter side?

Your previous version looked a bit like asphalt maybe? This one looks a bit more like pop-corn.

EDIT: Where you going to add admin buttons for volume up/down or control volume a different way?

EDIT 2: If it were me I would move the P1 & P2 buttons to the outside so they're more obvious and instead of having Coin buttons on the cab you could get Coin buttons that go onto the coin mech. Like these http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

EDIT 3: Also if you're also going to play PC games on this cab (Street Fighter IV, Killer Instinct, Bro Force, Double Dragon Remix, Strider etc...) don't forget that you will either want a dedicated Enter button or map one of your existing buttons to double as Enter.

For example on my cab my Coin button is down on the front of the Control panel facing forward. I use it as my Enter and Coin button. And instead of having a dedicated exit button you hold down the P1 button and press the same coin button. Until I did that people were constantly hitting exit all the time (mid-game, on accident, just wondering what it did etc... pain in the ass)

The BG on the SF side is the BG from the SF II control panel :)

Volume Up/Down haven't been planned, but I wanted to keep the CP as minimal as possible. I have a knob for my speakers that I am going to try mount on the side, but haven't yet worked that out. Worst case I can use a shift command to do that

On PC games surely the P1 can double as enter? It'll vary by game of course, and I can remap as needed with RocketLauncher

I'm not having a coin mech. They're quite pricey and I don't feel for my use they add that much... The buttons on the other hand give me that coin add authenticity but also allow me to map them for other uses - I.e. start/select

I was jumping back and forth between having exit and pause on the CP but ultimately decided that it would be beneficial. Exit is deliberately on the P1/(I.e. my) side so that guests don't hit accidentally, and it'll be clearly labeled and non-instant (hopefully) so you have to hold it for a second or so

Those buttons are sweet tho :)

• 2 months later...

So... much work has been done on this in my spare time and I now am left with just the Marquee to do... i thought i'd post currently progress below:

post-87441-0-50763700-1466432855_thumb.jpg

Anyone advise me of somewhere to get this printed in the UK that they have used and got good quality results from?!

• 2 weeks later...

Well ladies and gentlemen, after many (MANY) hours, i think i might be on the final hurdle...

Thanks to the help here (and elsewhere) I have now nearly finished the final artwork... I'm looking for some honest (but kind!) criticism...

Marquee:

attachicon.gifMarquee.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/6Bt86Lp.jpg)

Control Panel:

attachicon.gifControl Panel.jpg

Sides:

attachicon.gifRIGHT SIDE.jpg

attachicon.gifLEFT SIDE.jpg

Full View with sides:

attachicon.gifFull View JPEG.jpg

Ha! I warned you in the beginning that I had 100+ hours just in designing the art.

I really like it man. Looks really good.

1. The only thing I think needs to go is the Capcom and Taito logo's. I don't think they need to be on there and look a bit out of place.

2. On the Bobble side you have some characters in bubbles and some things free-floating, but on the SF side they are all constrained in frames. Maybe scatter the SF frames out a bit to more resemble the BB side and take a few characters out of the frames to free-float so it all seems a bit more cohesive?

3. You have the clouds at the bottom of the BB side. What about something at the bottom of the SF side? Like the buildings/background from the SF press start screen or something?

4. That marquee is hot, and I think the logo's should stay there. They look good there. But maybe fade the BB side to a blue that more closely matches the blue on the side, and fade the SF purple darker to match that side.

P.S. and I still like the button art with the chips out of it for the SF side, but that's just me.

Ha! I warned you in the beginning that I had 100+ hours just in designing the art.

1. The only thing I think needs to go is the Capcom and Taito logo's. I don't think they need to be on there and look a bit out of place.

2. On the Bobble side you have some characters in bubbles and some things free-floating, but on the SF side they are all constrained in frames. Maybe scatter the SF frames out a bit to more resemble the BB side and take a few characters out of the frames to free-float so it all seems a bit more cohesive?

3. You have the clouds at the bottom of the BB side. What about something at the bottom of the SF side? Like the buildings/background from the SF press start screen or something?

4. That marquee is hot, and I think the logo's should stay there. They look good there. But maybe fade the BB side to a blue that more closely matches the blue on the side, and fade the SF purple darker to match that side.

P.S. and I still like the button art with the chips out of it for the SF side, but that's just me.

Thanks for the feedback! :) I'm away this weekend but will def take a look at some of those things when i'm back! Not saying I'll do them all, but I'm in the final 'playing' phase so I'll give em a go :)

So... looked at a few of these:

1. I disagree here, and since it's my cab, my prerogative ;):P The capcom logo is actually part of the SFII poster (http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/109/1091821944.jpg) which I have emulated in my style, so removing it would not be in keeping with the idea I have. Adding Taito is the counter point to that, and i don't feel it looses anything but having it there.

2. So this is related to the first point - the frame idea actually comes from the SFII bezel (you can see it here: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9814) - the frames used are actually tidied up versions of the exact ones used on the original SFII cab. With Bubble Bobble it's a less direct copy and is intended to be somewhat of a contrast - obv in the Bubble Bobble game enemies are both out and inside bubbles so wouldnt want to change that for a loose match to the other side!

I actually have experimented with scattering the images around a bit more, on the street fighter side, but it ended up with too much blank space and not enough cohesion - and the only way i might be able to work something out is by shrinking the images... i'd rather have the space filled (valuablely) than not at all

3. Yeah, i see your idea... I've whacked a mock of it here: http://prntscr.com/bon2sk - not sure it's really needed tho... gonna think on that

4. Believe it or not, they are the same colour - the only difference is that the sunburst is much more vivid on the marquee so draws the eye a lot more!

• 1 month later...

So...

I've rejigged some things. Basically, major lesson learned - CMYK is different to RGB and when you're working with complex colours then it can REALLY change your design...

Basically, the backgrounds were causing issues, i was losing a lot of the vibrancy and couldnt get them to match between the CP and the side panel, so i decided to take things back to basics a bit... LESSON: DESIGN in CMYK from the start!!

Interested for thoughts on the following:

Right Side:

31e20ee563a24b51b1235ad03f666fba.png 

nb. very subtle background which you can see zoomed in here - interested in opinions on this as I only added as I felt was a bit bland without it...:

http://image.prntscr.com/image/2c2e3d50156a4249b4cb6d1e361da151.png 

CP.

ecaf462ba38048b089a51c26fcb3dd20.png

Left Side:

c67cf65861cf46beab5c5ea929cabf85.png

Marquee is the same as above, relatively unchanged apart from a couple of colour shifts...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, guess what... I've finally finished my cab :)

Still a lot of tinkering to do (some LED work, few emulators that I can't get working properly etc), but IT'S ALIVE.

And I thought I'd show you lucky people the outcome...

Introducing Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo

Well, guess what... I've finally finished my cab :)

Still a lot of tinkering to do (some LED work, few emulators that I can't get working properly etc), but IT'S ALIVE.

And I thought I'd show you lucky people the outcome...

Introducing Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo

DSC07008.JPG

DSC07006.JPG

DSC07010.JPG

DSC07012.JPG

DSC07013.JPG

Archived