Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

The Bliss-Box 4-play Thread!

ulao

Could you elaborate on the changes that make it compatible with retroarch?

Well when you said retroArch I assumed you meant the Linux version because it always worked on the windows version. If my assumption was correct, it's as simple as that. Dual device = fail. I simply had no choice but to remove the dual device in flavored of the retroPi users. I do believe at one point getting the windows version of retroArch to work required some hackery.  This was because SDL 2.0 was favored by retroArch. Turns out SDL also had a bug with dual devices and was also resolved with this fix. So it was much easier to use retroArch in windows.

• Upvote 1

Could you elaborate on the changes that make it compatible with retroarch?
Well when you said retroArch I assumed you meant the Linux version because it always worked on the windows version. If my assumption was correct, it's as simple as that. Dual device = fail. I simply had no choice but to remove the dual device in flavored of the retroPi users. I do believe at one point getting the windows version of retroArch to work required some hackery.  This was because SDL 2.0 was favored by retroArch. Turns out SDL also had a bug with dual devices and was also resolved with this fix. So it was much easier to use retroArch in windows.

By always worked in Windows, do you mean with an autoconfig? With xpadder? What's the correct implementation? I had trouble during the kick starter, so hoping to get it right this time

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RetroArch changes a lot. When I installed it here, everything just worked. With the latest firmware I'd expect that to be the case still.  As for getting it right, just know many users are using it with RetroArch now so you're good either way.

RetroArch changes a lot. When I installed it here, everything just worked. With the latest firmware I'd expect that to be the case still.  As for getting it right, just know many users are using it with RetroArch now so you're good either way.

1. Which firmware has the Retroarch support?

2. What exactly has been added?

@newoski
Within the last version or so I believe. The RA team has a 4-play for development and they seem pretty committed to maintaining compatibility with it.
Here are the latest firmware Release Notes.

There's no mention of RA or libretro. Can you explain what was updated and how it impacts RA? Just got mine and I'm struggling to find the balance between autoconfigs, mappings, and xpadder

I don't personally use RA att so I'm sorry I can't offer a more insightful answer :shok: I'm pretty confident it's fully compatible now though and @ulao just confirmed for me as well on FB that was the case. Did a little digging and found a udev Bliss-Box core from around the time I believe it became fully compatible. Does this help?

7 hours ago, Avar said:

I don't personally use RA att so I'm sorry I can't offer a more insightful answer :shok: I'm pretty confident it's fully compatible now though and @ulao just confirmed for me as well on FB that was the case. Did a little digging and found a udev Bliss-Box core from around the time I believe it became fully compatible. Does this help?

Thanks, but unfortunately not very helpful. Autoconfigs have existed for quite some time and have nothing to do with BlissBox, directly. There just happens to be an autoconfig for BlissBox. @ulao implied that the firmware on BlissBox has been updated to support RetroArch, recently. But I can't find any reference to the changes in the ChangeLog or anywhere on his webpages (social and website). 

Hoping he can chime in here and explain what he changed and how it would benefit RetroArch usage 

I've been using retro arch with the blissbox for probably a year now.
It works fine. But I have used the unofficial firmware updater so my ports are numbered in windows.
This made configuration easy.
Let me know if you have any questions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iNTiGOD said:

I've been using retro arch with the blissbox for probably a year now.
It works fine. But I have used the unofficial firmware updater so my ports are numbered in windows.
This made configuration easy.
Let me know if you have any questions.

1. How are you using it? 

- With xpadder? With joy2key? With autoconfigs?

2. How do you customize the mappings, so different controllers work with different systems? 

- Right now, I'm running into issues where A/B work on the SNES controller in NES, but then button Y also duplicates a function. 

Also, after flashing the custom firmware successfully and experimenting for the last 24 hours, my Port1 just completely disappeared. WTF. Reflashing, following the instructions (press button, plug USB, select firmware and hold til complete) isn't working at all, to reflash that port

Have you tried plugging the blissbox into a different USB port and reflashing?

Re my setup, I'll get back to you over the weekend and update in this thread. My setup hasn't been touched in a while so I can't remember which version of retroarch I'm using.

There's no mention of RA or libretro. Can you explain what was updated and how it impacts RA? Just got mine and I'm struggling to find the balance between autoconfigs, mappings, and xpadder

Use joy to key instead of xpadder, it sucks to convert but it's a much better experience

Also after you flash the official, also do the unofficial which allows each port to read as a separate usb. It allows the device to read al the ports individually

Few small things to address here.

1. The 4-play fix is a fan project. Not support or endorsed by Bliss-Box in anyway. Soon the new API will fix the ID issues. Maybe this month!

2. RA is a beast in itself. When I said the new firmware now works on it, I only mean that is detects and can be used. As for as setting up goes, that is not anything I can help with. RA does do a few strange things because it was design to be used with many adapters. Since the Bliss-Box is self contained, they are braking the way it is designed to be used. A few things are being address here for that.

a) The RA team has a unit and they are looking for a solution, please bug then LOL!
https://forums.libretro.com/t/one-of-those-pesky-bliss-box-4-play-users/8815/16

b ) 1.56 and greater has  360/PS3 Mapping mode. This could be used to make the Bliss-Box act like those controllers. So the button layouts are the same.

c) The API will allow user configure HID assignments. You can send a simple command to change the mappings on the fly! - should be out soon!

If xpadder is an issue report it on the Bliss-Box forums, we need to know when things break?

Few small things to address here.

1. The 4-play fix is a fan project. Not support or endorsed by Bliss-Box in anyway. Soon the new API will fix the ID issues. Maybe this month!
2. RA is a beast in itself. When I said the new firmware now works on it, I only mean that is detects and can be used. As for as setting up goes, that is not anything I can help with. RA does do a few strange things because it was design to be used with many adapters. Since the Bliss-Box is self contained, they are braking the way it is designed to be used. A few things are being address here for that.
a) The RA team has a unit and they are looking for a solution, please bug then LOL!
https://forums.libretro.com/t/one-of-those-pesky-bliss-box-4-play-users/8815/16
b ) 1.56 and greater has  360/PS3 Mapping mode. This could be used to make the Bliss-Box act like those controllers. So the button layouts are the same.
c) The API will allow user configure HID assignments. You can send a simple command to change the mappings on the fly! - should be out soon!
If xpadder is an issue report it on the Bliss-Box forums, we need to know when things break?

Where can I find more info on the 360 mode? I'll post on the forum about xpadder

I have like 100 systems and have yet to get the BlissBox functioning to the point that it's worth switching. Once I get the BlissBox going, I'll consider it. Think I need to RMA this one, as Port 1 appears to be bad -- based on the troubleshooting steps provided. 

Are you able to do unique layouts, per controller, per system?

IE for Nintendo Entertainment System:
NES controller layout

SNES controller layout

Also, after flashing the custom firmware successfully and experimenting for the last 24 hours, my Port1 just completely disappeared. WTF. Reflashing, following the instructions (press button, plug USB, select firmware and ho

5 minutes ago, ulao said:

Did all 4 ports before you used the 4-play fix?

They worked before, and after. Then, the next day, the Port1 disappeared

On 5/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, newoski said:

1. How are you using it? 

- With xpadder? With joy2key? With autoconfigs?

2. How do you customize the mappings, so different controllers work with different systems? 

- Right now, I'm running into issues where A/B work on the SNES controller in NES, but then button Y also duplicates a function. 

Ok let me explain how I set this up.

Forgive me because I haven't touched my setup in ages and i'm a little rusty.

I have hyperspin and rocketlauncher running on my bartop. I have set it up to use both my ipac (in keyboard mode, for my joysticks, buttons etc) and the 4-play (for original gamepads).

For example I can play a NES game using arcade controls or I plug my 4-play in for gamepad controls (but my setup does allow for you to use either of those options at the same time if the 4-play is connected).

I setup up my ipac first for each system by selecting "bind mode" in retroarch to "Retrokeyboard". This allowed my to manually configure each keyboard input to my arcade controls.

After that was completed I would change "bind mode" in retroarch to "retropad". Retroarch would then recognise gamepad inputs (4-play). 

The resulting example in the screen shot below shows for the "up" direction it is now configured to use both (-1 [axis] for the gamepad - 4play) and (key 8 for the arcade joystick - ipac).

I always configured my controls with "autoconfig" disabled as I ran into some issues. I also needed to obviously save the retroarch config file and rename it to the system name (as per the RL requirements).

I have set this up for any system I have controllers for i.e. snes, nes, MD, etc (I have about 50-60 systems setup in hyperspin, but about 10 of them use both the ipac and/or 4-play).

I'm not sure these days if autoconfig has simplified the configuration of controllers but I have happy to do everything manually. 

Lastly, I would also manually go through my retroarch configs and remove any keyboard shortcuts e.g. fast forward or volume increase so that it wouldn't conflict with my ipac keys.

I hope this gives you some direction.

Untitled 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, iNTiGOD said:

Ok let me explain how I set this up.

Forgive me because I haven't touched my setup in ages and i'm a little rusty.

I have hyperspin and rocketlauncher running on my bartop. I have set it up to use both my ipac (in keyboard mode, for my joysticks, buttons etc) and the 4-play (for original gamepads).

For example I can play a NES game using arcade controls or I plug my 4-play in for gamepad controls (but my setup does allow for you to use either of those options at the same time if the 4-play is connected).

I setup up my ipac first for each system by selecting "bind mode" in retroarch to "Retrokeyboard". This allowed my to manually configure each keyboard input to my arcade controls.

After that was completed I would change "bind mode" in retroarch to "retropad". Retroarch would then recognise gamepad inputs (4-play). 

The resulting example in the screen shot below shows for the "up" direction it is now configured to use both (-1 [axis] for the gamepad - 4play) and (key 8 for the arcade joystick - ipac).

I always configured my controls with "autoconfig" disabled as I ran into some issues. I also needed to obviously save the retroarch config file and rename it to the system name (as per the RL requirements).

I have set this up for any system I have controllers for i.e. snes, nes, MD, etc (I have about 50-60 systems setup in hyperspin, but about 10 of them use both the ipac and/or 4-play).

I'm not sure these days if autoconfig has simplified the configuration of controllers but I have happy to do everything manually. 

Lastly, I would also manually go through my retroarch configs and remove any keyboard shortcuts e.g. fast forward or volume increase so that it wouldn't conflict with my ipac keys.

I hope this gives you some direction.

Untitled 2.jpg

Thanks! This all makes sense. Are you not using XBOX360 controllers, as well? If you use RetroPad mapping for BlissBox, it creates issues with XBOX360, since you're changing that mapping... Things get complicated, quickly...

My goal is as follows:

1. RetroArch with keyboard mappings for my arcade control panel

2. XBOX360 autoconfig mappings as standard gamepad controller

3. 8BitDo SNES controller for SNES/NES systems, mapped via xpadder, with RetroArch autoconfigs disabled to prevent conflicts

4. BlissBox NES/SNES/GENESIS etc controllers, mapped via xpadder, with RetroArch autoconfigs disabled to prevent conflicts

The issues I'm running into are:

- Using the custom firmware to stabalize the ports complicates things immediately, because each port has a different USB input name and thus, a single xpadder profile folder won't work.

- To solve that, I created xpadder profile folders, in my xpadder system folder (IE Super Nintendo Entertainment System), for each controller (IE 4PLAY PORT, 4PLAY 2, 4PLAY 3, 4PLAY 4)

- Using this logic, then each folder would contain one "working" profile and 3 blanks. IE 4PLAY PORT's p1 mapping is active, 4PLAY 2's p2 mapping is active, 4PLAY 3's p3 mapping is active, 4PLAY 4's p4 mapping is active. All other mappings are blanks. This SHOULD work. But it doesn't. Instead, RocketLauncher is assinging the profiles in reverse. I'm still uncertain of the cause of this problem.

- As a workaround to the above problem, I created identical profiles for p1, p2, p3, p4 in the 4PLAY PORT folder using the p1 mapping, identical profiles for p1, p2, p3, p4 in the 4PLAY 2 folder using the p2 mapping etc etc. This works, but it's absurdly complicated. 

From there, the other issues I'm trying to solve are:

1. Using the above logic, how can I customize the layouts between different joypads. For example, the SNES controller's buttons B and A don't work for Nintendo Entertainment System. Instead, buttons Y and B do. This is obviously due to my xpadder layout for the 4PLAY profiles, but the problem is, we can only use one global profile, since the USB device name is the same, no matter what original controller is plugged into the BlissBox...

PHEW... that was a lot of typing...

Thoughts?

• Avar featured this topic