Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Would someone kindly demystify MAME & resolution?

ChinMuzik

Firstly I'm not building a cab. This is going to be a build on a 65 inch 4k display in my home theater.

Setting the resolutions for all the other emulators is simple enough. Just set the resolution configure the emulator to launch in full screen and done.

If only it was this simple with MAME.

In my research all of the information has been overwhelming regarding MAME and the multiple resolutions for various emulated cabinets combined with endless types of displays and other variables.

Is there a simple(lol) solution to go about configuring MAME to launch games in their native resolution and launch them in full screen that are optimal for my display?

Even if I have to configure video settings on a ROM by ROM basis that is fine as long as the settings adhere on each subsequent launch.

This may be an oversimplificaiton of what you're asking but how is MAME launching for you now as far as your display goes? I'm not running the latest MAME release but if you open the tab menu you can set per-game aspect ratio options. Is that all you're after?

@JoyStickKilla -b55, was a typo actually. Pretty sure the dilemma stays the same.

@Avar - I guess, in a nutshell. But I see some builds of MAME are optimized more for soecific displays.

I.e, groovyMAME is supposed to be the final word for a CRT

I believe I read somewhere AdvMAME was best for LCD/LED.

Also, I'm looking to utilize HLSL shaders and someone told don't even bother on a display that large because it will look like crap.

Gotcha. Personally, I avoid shaders so I'm sorry that I won't be of much help on that front. I sit with my eyes 72" back from a 55" display though and as far as I can recall, shaders didn't look outlandish by any means they just weren't to my preference.

As for getting the right resolution, I believe this really depends on your ultimate goal. With a lot of the classics, the original resolution was well below what our cards can output now so things get a bit more complicated if you're aiming for absolute perfection. Are you aiming for perfect res for older games or newer games, or for across the board? With larger modern displays it's definitely most convenient to roll with MAME's built in AR options as long as you're happy with how everything looks. Depending on the level of minutia you want to get into with this, the cab folk should have a deeper knowledge base on the subject.

I'm looking for a healthy compromise as my interests cover Donkey Kong up to SF4 and all in between.

But I think you're probably correct in MAMEs AR is going to be the best bet. Playing PacMan with the pixel aspect ratio setting (or standard for that matter) isn't unbearable by any means.

I guess I get caught up in a lot if the purist propaganda.

I hear ya. The purists may have a point but if it helps put your mind at ease, I've always left everything at auto for MAME on modern displays and I've never had a complaint. Hope that helps lol wish I knew more.

Use GroovyMAME. Create an mame.ini file and store it in a folder named "ini" in your MAME directory. There is a switch in the ini file called 'switchres'. Enable it by setting the value to '1', from '0' if it isn't already set like that already. Make sure the setting for 'windowed' is set to "0" for off. And fullscreen is set to '1" for enabled. Then run VMaker wich comes with Calamity's CRT Emu drivers or can be downloaded separately (Calamity is the brilliant man that codes GroovyMAME and the CRT Emu drivers). VMaker will create all the per game ini files for each MAME game you have and as you launch the game, they will play in their native resolutions. Here are the instructions. Just be sure to not install the drivers as they likely won't work for you anyway and you are not connecting to an arcade CRT.

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290

Conceivably this should work and allow you to get all the games running in their native resolutions, but be displayed full screen on your TV. I do this with LCD monitors that I have, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

EDIT:  Also set the monitor to 'LCD' in the ini file. I believe by default it is set to 'generic_15'.

• 1 year later...

Archived