Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Comprehensive List of Natively Supported Compression Formats

SkyHighGam3r

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand and imagine that not all DC games couldn't fit a 700 CD-Rom.

What is useful for us to notice about getting the full GDI versions, is that when we compress these versions to CHD, we'll probably have a smaller file size than a CDI.

I'm attaching 3 games, converted from full dumped GDI DC discs, notice their size:

1_zps2cc1bw8i.jpg

Shenmue Disc 1 is even smaller than a ripped CDI, it's still the full game with its original audio quality, most DC games compressed to CHD, from full GDI files tends to gets smaller than 500 MBs, notice how small are the two Crazy Taxi games, 

these just to name a few.

I didn't keep the numbers, but I remember when I compressed my DC set to CHD, I saved over 180 GBs.

WOW that is a major difference lol I guess I am going to have to go scour the net for some GDI files...

It's too bad that Shenmue 2 was never properly localized for English. I'm going to have to keep using the 99min versions with the XBOX audio.

I still think they should just re-release Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast, and then make 3 for it as well. The updates look cool and all but I don't think anyone who was a die-hard fan of the series would be pissed if they 'had' to play it on their dreamcast lol. Plus it would have been WAY cheaper.

WOW that is a major difference lol I guess I am going to have to go scour the net for some GDI files...

It's too bad that Shenmue 2 was never properly localized for English. I'm going to have to keep using the 99min versions with the XBOX audio.

I still think they should just re-release Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast, and then make 3 for it as well. The updates look cool and all but I don't think anyone who was a die-hard fan of the series would be pissed if they 'had' to play it on their dreamcast lol. Plus it would have been WAY cheaper.

I agree that they could make Shenmue 3 in the same fashion as 1 and 2, I like its graphics and the overall game engine.

It's funny how I took the opposite rote, while you want to keep your Shenmue 2 in english, using the Xbox Shenmue 2 version (first shenmue I played, outside the Dreamcast, yeah, a shame, but later I figured out that Xbox and Dreamcast are brothers from the same parents), well I'm playing the Shenmue 1 for Dreamcast using an Undub version, I started to feel kinda, well, I wasn't in the mood to keep listening to the English voice over, it just, I don't know, it started to sound weird for me, no offence at all, so the Japanese voice is fitting better for me, using English subtitles, well, they're in Japan, so...lol

It would be amazing to have Shenmue 3 for Dreamcast, no doubt.

I agree that they could make Shenmue 3 in the same fashion as 1 and 2, I like its graphics and the overall game engine.

It's funny how I took the opposite rote, while you want to keep your Shenmue 2 in english, using the Xbox Shenmue 2 version (first shenmue I played, outside the Dreamcast, yeah, a shame, but later I figured out that Xbox and Dreamcast are brothers from the same parents), well I'm playing the Shenmue 1 for Dreamcast using an Undub version, I started to feel kinda, well, I wasn't in the mood to keep listening to the English voice over, it just, I don't know, it started to sound weird for me, no offence at all, so the Japanese voice is fitting better for me, using English subtitles, well, they're in Japan, so...lol

It would be amazing to have Shenmue 3 for Dreamcast, no doubt.

You say it's amazing 

Remember some posts earlier when I said GCZ (compressed gamecube isos) was the most noneffective of all compression I knew? That's the answer, while DC CHDs, PS1 PBPs, PSP CSOs and so on have a good compression rate, GCZ in most cases kept almost the same size as the original iso...

I'm reading your notes regarding the best compression methods, there's is this detail that can't be missed under the PS1 notes, the games multi tracks games  (that has lots of bins, which needs to be converted to single track using Iggy's batch), have to be in 7z before dragging them to the .dat file, otherwise it won't work, also, there's another useless step we should note in this batch, I say useless because after converting them to single track, the batch automatically compresses it to 7z, so for our goal, it just makes us have to decompress them again, I'd like to ask you guys who know how to mess with .dat and batch stuff, to remove the re compression step, so we can jump straight to the PBP conversion without having to decompress the re compressed 7z (confusing, isn't it?)

You say it's amazing 

Remember some posts earlier when I said GCZ (compressed gamecube isos) was the most noneffective of all compression I knew? That's the answer, while DC CHDs, PS1 PBPs, PSP CSOs and so on have a good compression rate, GCZ in most cases kept almost the same size as the original iso...

Is anyone able to confirm if CSO works in Dolphin for certain? If the compression is better, it seems like it would be worth it to do that to both Wii & Gamecube for the size benefits. We had someone say earlier they think it did lol, but do we know?

I'm reading your notes regarding the best compression methods, there's is this detail that can't be missed under the PS1 notes, the games multi tracks games  (that has lots of bins, which needs to be converted to single track using Iggy's batch), have to be in 7z before dragging them to the .dat file, otherwise it won't work, also, there's another useless step we should note in this batch, I say useless because after converting them to single track, the batch automatically compresses it to 7z, so for our goal, it just makes us have to decompress them again, I'd like to ask you guys who know how to mess with .dat and batch stuff, to remove the re compression step, so we can jump straight to the PBP conversion without having to decompress the re compressed 7z (confusing, isn't it?)

I'll put that in the notes section. It's really seeming like the method for mounting virtually and then ripping is much easier. Only takes about 5 seconds to rip using IMGburn.

I just wanted to take a second to say thanks for this. :)

:) No problem! It seemed like people were into the conversation a couple months back on the subject, and I couldn't help but wonder how such a topic hadn't been thoroughly documented on here. It's very confusing with all the different formats and compression methods and emulators and everything lol.

I just felt like we could use something like this as a community.

I'll put that in the notes section. It's really seeming like the method for mounting virtually and then ripping is much easier. Only takes about 5 seconds to rip using IMGburn.

Yeah it's easy using IMGburn for one or two games, but there are people that has tons of PS1 games, for this case, batches are the best alternative, we should ask anyone who knows something about batching to just remove the re-compression to 7z process.

Try these. "no7z.bat" will leave all the bin/cue files in the FIXED folder, "no7zSub.bat" will create subfolders for each game inside the FIXED folder and put the bin/cue files in there.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah it's easy using IMGburn for one or two games, but there are people that has tons of PS1 games, for this case, batches are the best alternative, we should ask anyone who knows something about batching to just remove the re-compression to 7z process.

That's true! Honestly I micromanage my system to an absurd degree so I would never even consider batching. Lol That's a huge appeal that I just never would have thought about.

That's true! Honestly I micromanage my system to an absurd degree so I would never even consider batching. Lol That's a huge appeal that I just never would have thought about.

I somewhat do the same as you, just do go losing the hidden gold.

BTW, I'll ask you to upload the batch files our secret Agent 47 kindly uploaded for us, believe me, for those who'll batch multi track PS1 games, it's REALLY useful.

I tried dropping a multi track game into the batch you provided, but it opens and closes instantly, this is the log:

-4/-01  0:25:50 **************************************************
-4/-01  0:25:50                    Starting Job
-4/-01  0:25:50 ************************************************** 

-4/-01  0:25:50 Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2002 (Europe) has only 0 .bin file and will NOT be repackaged.

-4/-01  0:25:50 -+::SUCESSFULLY COMPLETED EXECUTION ON ALL FILES::+-

-4/-01  0:26:04 **************************************************
-4/-01  0:26:04                    Starting Job
-4/-01  0:26:04 ************************************************** 

-4/-01  0:26:05 Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2002 (Europe) has only 0 .bin file and will NOT be repackaged.

-4/-01  0:26:05 -+::SUCESSFULLY COMPLETED EXECUTION ON ALL FILES::+-

-4/-01  0:27:13 **************************************************
-4/-01  0:27:13                    Starting Job
-4/-01  0:27:13 ************************************************** 

-4/-01  0:27:41 **************************************************
-4/-01  0:27:41                    Starting Job
-4/-01  0:27:41 ************************************************** 

-4/-01  0:27:41 Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2002 (Europe) has only 0 .bin file and will NOT be repackaged.

-4/-01  0:27:41 -+::SUCESSFULLY COMPLETED EXECUTION ON ALL FILES::+-

I think it would be useful for it to recognize if the multi track iso is a folder or a 7z file (the latter is my case).
I tried dragging both 7z files or the bins themselves, is there something I missed?

Thanks!

So larger files, I'm assuming the DVD-DL ones, are having the issue?

Yes, larger files then 2^32 bytes  :-).

DVD-DL, don't know if they come from here (but you might be right here!).

I just removed the code that compressed the image after it was converted to a single bin, I didn't touch any of the code before that. I didn't test it myself yet, I'll give it a go now but that error has nothing to do with my modification. Did you try using another game?

EDIT: Just tried a few games and both scripts worked fine for me. I checked the same game you did and both scripts converted it without issue. As you mentioned before, the script only works with 7z files, and I didn't change that so that's still the case.

It's really not working for me, could you please upload your batch folder, is just the the dat file we need?

All I did was download Iggy's zip from the link you posted and modified the batch file. From your log it seems like it's not detecting any bin files in the 7z, do you have the 7za.exe in that folder?

Yeah, it's weird, I don't know what's causing it, look, I just extracted Iggy's batch and then put your modified batch file, when I drag the 7z multi track PS1 games, it doesn't do anything.

The log also doesn't have any info:

1_zps4z5crdje.jpg

I used Y.A.C.C. To convert my psp to CSO. If I recall this does batch processing and gives you the choice to keep or delete the original file.

Does ps2 conversion to CSO need to use maxcso?

You can probably batch with MaxCSO by selecting as many ISOs as you want and dragging them on the .exe. It doesn't look like there's a command line option to delete the original files after compressing though.

You should be able to use any CSO utility to compress and have them work in PCSX2. MaxCSO is just supposed to have the best compression.

There's that older post you mentioned NDS Tokyo Trim, it trims NDS, GBA and 3DS roms, I was reading some pages in this thread, people who actually play on the real NDS console didn't complain after trimming their NDS games.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ndstokyotrim-batch-trimmer-with-wifi-detection.55162/

I'm giving it a try.

I just trimmed 100 NDS roms, this is the Trimmer log:

http://pastebin.com/GP5i0YqK

These are the original files, before trimming, 100 NDS roms in Zip/7z format needed 4.45 GBs.

1_zpsoedecpqb.jpg

After Trimming and repacking them into zip, under best compression with winrar, they now need 4.08 GB:

2_zps2irvxbpg.jpg

I think I'm going to use CSO for my PS2 games. It compresses so much faster then GZ.

Does anyone know if it is possible to decompress CSO back to ISO? If so how?

Edit: Since it appears MaxCSO can't decompress from CSO to ISO (If anyone knows how to please post!), I found something that can. Was able to do it with CSOMultiCompressor!

https://sites.google.com/site/theleecherman/cisomulticompressor

Only tested with one game (ATV off-road fury 4) and I was able to play it without any issues after decompressing from CSO to ISO with this

Edit: Since it appears MaxCSO can't decompress from CSO to ISO (If anyone knows how to please post!),

Ciso - PSP Iso Compressor   1.0.0 can do it both ways.

SkyHigh: 

Wii-Compression to WBFS (see first post) can be done with Dolphin itself  (right click on an uncompressed iso and you get an option for that).

I think I'm going to use CSO for my PS2 games. It compresses so much faster then GZ.

Edit: Since it appears MaxCSO can't decompress from CSO to ISO (If anyone knows how to please post!), I found something that can. Was able to do it with CSOMultiCompressor!

https://sites.google.com/site/theleecherman/cisomulticompressor

Only tested with one game (ATV off-road fury 4) and I was able to play it without any issues after decompressing from CSO to ISO with this

It can, you have to use the command line: maxcso --decompress input.cso -o output.iso

There's a hint I totally forgot to tell you guys, if you have NEO GEO CD isos there, you can shrink your CDs set down to 5GB, Raine emulates NEO GEO CD really good and it has some interesting features, it will play your game if they are in ISO+WAV or Zip+Mp3, so that's what I figured out, this picture shows the size of the whole NEO GEO CD set, including Samurai Showdown RPG:

NGCD_zpsmruwirrc.jpg

Here's an example of what one of NEO GEO CD games look like, the ISO content is extracted and then zipped, the WAV files are converted to MP3, if you convert them to 320 Kbp/s you'll still have a high quality soundtrack, but the resulting size is tremendously smaller, in my case, I converted most to 128 kbp/s and they all play with a nice quality:

Raine will load the zip file as any other rom:

NGCD2_zpskfksy1w9.jpg

One of the things that was a down point in NEO GEO CD console, is that it had long load times compared to the cart AES console, but Raine has options to turn off completely the loading screen, it will run the game as the cart AES console, but it will have the high quality songs and soundtrack, which is a must for NEO GEO lovers, KOF games, Samurai Showdown games have a different experience when compared to the Arcade/Console AES versions as the NEO GEO CD, Sega Saturn and Playstation used real instruments to play most of the songs, in my case I put the loading screen to 32X because I like seeing, at least for 2 seconds the artwork they put in between the battles, even in 32X it's like it doesn't load the game at all, it's seems more like a quick fade screen than anything.

NGCD2_zpsysnwzi4q.jpg

If you have NEO GEO CD and wants to save over 50 GBs without removing anything from your HDD, you should consider this.

Hope it helps.

Hey, sorry for the weekend delay guys.

I updated the main post with some of the information we've seen here. I'll have to add the files later that were posted on, I can't download things at work.

That GDI to CHD compression is amazing. I went from 78gb to 34gb.
I still need to try out a batch process for converting PSP to CSO. I discovered I have not converted all of those by a long-shot.

There's a hint I totally forgot to tell you guys, if you have NEO GEO CD isos there, you can shrink your CDs set down to 5GB, Raine emulates NEO GEO CD really good and it has some interesting features, it will play your game if they are in ISO+WAV or Zip+Mp3, so that's what I figured out, this picture shows the size of the whole NEO GEO CD set, including Samurai Showdown RPG:

Here's an example of what one of NEO GEO CD games look like, the ISO content is extracted and then zipped, the WAV files are converted to MP3, if you convert them to 320 Kbp/s you'll still have a high quality soundtrack, but the resulting size is tremendously smaller, in my case, I converted most to 128 kbp/s and they all play with a nice quality:

Raine will load the zip file as any other rom:

One of the things that was a down point in NEO GEO CD console, is that it had long load times compared to the cart AES console, but Raine has options to turn off completely the loading screen, it will run the game as the cart AES console, but it will have the high quality songs and soundtrack, which is a must for NEO GEO lovers, KOF games, Samurai Showdown games have a different experience when compared to the Arcade/Console AES versions as the NEO GEO CD, Sega Saturn and Playstation used real instruments to play most of the songs, in my case I put the loading screen to 32X because I like seeing, at least for 2 seconds the artwork they put in between the battles, even in 32X it's like it doesn't load the game at all, it's seems more like a quick fade screen than anything.

If you have NEO GEO CD and wants to save over 50 GBs without removing anything from your HDD, you should consider this.

Hope it helps.

Regarding Neo Geo CD, you mentioned converting .wav to mp3? How does one go about doing that?

I've yet to integrate any of the NGCD games into my system yet. I'm hesitant to do so as you describe some of them provide a different experience like Samurai Shodown (I'm trying my best to avoid censorship of that series)

I know it had Samurai Shodown RPG and Crossed Swords 2 as exclusives though so I do want to get those implemented. I've seen translations of Crossed Swords 2 on youtube, but never found the patch or translated game.

Samurai Shodown RPG I am unsure if a translation was ever made.

Yeah, you have true instruments, providing a different experience, I like NEO GEO CD games better because of that:

Samurai Shodown IV

https://youtu.be/ndcZ1cSLcsM?t=48

KOF 97

https://youtu.be/E-kp_dCSklI?t=476

"I'm trying my best to avoid censorship of that series"

I don't know what you're talking about avoiding censorship of that series;

• Aorin pinned and unpinned this topic

Archived