Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Comprehensive List of Natively Supported Compression Formats

SkyHighGam3r

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,
I discover that using the marvelous  "Multi Tracks (Bins PS1) .bat " for PSX GAMES in order to combine multiple files in one the some games lost some music like the street fighter alpha mentioning on earlier post.
In fact, the result doesn’t create a cue file, just the BIN.
But I discover than manually using isobuster to combines BIN files and ask for creating a cue files:  the BIN and cue files are generated and all music is good.
I would like to know if it’s possible to add a code on the "Multi Tracks (Bins PS1) .bat" or the "no 7z.bat" of Agent47, the creation of the missing cue file in order to allow a BIN+CUE  ?
With the cue files, the music is configuring correctly.
It would be so cool if we could use this bat to create automatically the 2 files for each game and not only the BIN.
Regards

if only mednafen psx core retroarch would work correctly on the shield tv, I would try with CHD. and if only pcsx rearmed could be compatible with CHD. I could test

but both solution aren't possible today

I hope in the future

6 hours ago, mikty said:

if only mednafen psx core retroarch would work correctly on the shield tv, I would try with CHD. and if only pcsx rearmed could be compatible with CHD. I could test

but both solution aren't possible today

I hope in the future

Your best option for now is to use PBP compression on your shield for PCSX Rearmed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peeps! Awesome topic! Read it all but I might have missed something :o

Need to save space urgently, so I wanted to convert PSX and Sega CD to CHD.

What is the name of the program I need? Or is it all done from the CMD?

Do all the games from these two systems work ok while formatted to CHD or are some specific games that should remain without converting?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

Peeps! Awesome topic! Read it all but I might have missed something :o

Need to save space urgently, so I wanted to convert PSX and Sega CD to CHD.

What is the name of the program I need? Or is it all done from the CMD?

Do all the games from these two systems work ok while formatted to CHD or are some specific games that should remain without converting?

Thanks 

@Kondorito, amigo.

Yes, all games for all supported systems will read CHD like an ISO file without any incompatibility, from NEC PC Engine CD to Dreamcast, the only one that still miss this feature so far is 3DO.

Don't miss out this thread over Libretro forums, download the batch tool I posted there and follow instructions, the last post by @SkyHighGam3r there will give you an idea on how you'll save space doing this.

PS: There's also this thread where you can easily make a smarter use of multi disc games for PS1 and Saturn with only one entry in our databases, thus, making a smoother and cleaner wheel.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/multi-disc-for-sony-playstation-and-sega-saturn-using-m3u-files/14161/21

And, there's this updated module @SupraKarma posted in RLauncher forums, it seems to create m3u files automatically, I created mine by hand which I can easily share, but this feature is also interesting.

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?251-RetroArch-Module/page71

Ok, I got the batch file and did a test with Crash Bandicoot - Warped (USA).

• Original 7z file with the BIN/CUE inside is 76.7 MB
  • Extracted BIN/CUE is 278 MB
  • CHD file is 101 MB

I am facing two problems with this. The first one is that Retroarch is not showing the CHD file when I try to load content and go to the folder I have it.
The other thing is that I am able to run the original 7z file directly in Retroarch (selecting it when loading content). So, my question is; why is it better to have a 100MB CHD, instead of a 75MB 7z file? Unless this is a specific case in which the 7z is smaller than the CHD counterpart, and in the majority of the PSX games, the CHD ends up being much smaller than the zipped CUE/BIN.

1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

Ok, I got the batch file and did a test with Crash Bandicoot - Warped (USA).

• Original 7z file with the BIN/CUE inside is 76.7 MB
  • Extracted BIN/CUE is 278 MB
  • CHD file is 101 MB

I am facing two problems with this. The first one is that Retroarch is not showing the CHD file when I try to load content and go to the folder I have it.
The other thing is that I am able to run the original 7z file directly in Retroarch (selecting it when loading content). So, my question is; why is it better to have a 100MB CHD, instead of a 75MB 7z file? Unless this is a specific case in which the 7z is smaller than the CHD counterpart, and in the majority of the PSX games, the CHD ends up being much smaller than the zipped CUE/BIN.

First of all, make sure you update Retroarch to the latest nightly, then open Online Updater and update the core info files, now get the latest cores for the systems you use, this should fix the CHD not showing when you try loading a content.

Yeah, 7z will always beat other compression methods, no doubt, unless something really amazing happens in this regard in the future.

Note that using 7z you can load the contents, the downside of using it, like using 7zipped roms via RocketLauncher, is that the content inside the compressed file will decompress to a temp folder, so the emulator will load the cue that was extracted, along with the bin or iso.

CHD on the other hand is a content loaded directly like an ISO and most cores will have an internal option that allows you to cache the entire game into RAM, this is an amazing feature that will free your HDD to always keep reading it as you play the game.

In short, you`ll not only have faster loading, using CHD, but will also span your HDD life.

Regarding the cache to RAM feature in Retroarch, it will also work for 7z content, since it will actually cache the extracted content to RAM, so, even if you decide to keep your roms as they are now, I suggest you to use this cache.

Thank you @Aorin :)

Did another test (Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.1)) and the difference between the original 7z and the CHD is just 391MB for the 7z against 421MB (meaningless), so taking into account the time it takes to unzip and run 7z, and the over-usage of the HDD in this scenario, I'll check my RA later on to solve the CHD locator and compress the entire PSX/SegaCD dbs to CHD.

Again and as usual; thank you amigo!

2 hours ago, Kondorito said:

Seems the pcsx_rearmed core does not have CHD support, and I never was able to make the mednafen cores work in my machine, so I guess I am stuck. So close...

Yeah, the PCSX-R core still lacks this, only Mednafen PSX and the (HW) one, probably something easy to implement since even PC Engine CD and Sega CD already support it.

PS: In order not to derail the thread, I PMed instructions so you can give Mednafen PSX another try.

14 minutes ago, Aorin said:

Yeah, the PCSX-R core still lacks this, only Mednafen PSX and the (HW) one, probably something easy to implement since even PC Engine CD and Sega CD already support it.

PS: In order not to derail the thread, I sent you PMed instructions so you can give Mednafen PSX another try.

BAM! All done! Working awesomely! :D

Hi Folks, I am loving CHD compression, although there is not much info available on it.

I have been using a windows batch file, which works on .cue files, as I understand, .ccd is unsupported in chdman

Add your batch file and chdman.exe  (from the latest mame release) to a folder of .bin, .img, .iso, as long as there's a .cue for it.

I have done Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Neo-Geo CD, PC-Engine CD, TurboGrafx CD, it is currently working it's way though the PS1 set.

Cue files must be correct or it will give an error, I hope this helps

cue2chd.bat

for /r %%i in (*.cue) do chdman createcd -i "%%i" -o "%%~ni.chd

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, progets said:

For PS1 specifically, does anyone use .chd? This seems to give the best compression but is limited by emulators. Is it yet to come to other emulators or are you better off with .pbp files?

Defo CHD for PS1, I have not found any (yet) that don't work. Both Mednafen cores in RA work great

• Aorin pinned and unpinned this topic

Archived