Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Comprehensive List of Natively Supported Compression Formats

SkyHighGam3r

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/29/2018 at 6:21 AM, hErTz said:

I have read that the 4DO core now has CHD support

It does, I converted my set to CHD and saved even more space with this, which was the last console system that needed a compression for isos.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, Aorin said:

It does, I converted my set to CHD and saved even more space with this, which was the last console system that needed a compression for isos.

I can also confirm .chd works with 4DO. Other .chd supported systems (with the right emulator) include DC, Saturn, TG16-CD and PC-FX.

• 3 months later...

On Github, I contacted Unknown W. Brackets, among other tools, he developed maxcso, which a lot of people use to compress games for PS2 and PSP to save space.

He sent me a useful batch script that will facilitate compression/decompression, I'm posting the script here.

Hopefully it will be attached to the OP as well.

Instructions:

First of all, get the latest MAXCSO version on Github here:

https://github.com/unknownbrackets/maxcso/releases

Than extract MAXCSO.exe to the same folder where this batch is in your computer.

CSO to ISO batch will decompress CSO compressed files back to ISO, you need to open this batch in notepad (notepad++ recommended), and add the input CSOs folder in "set inpath=" and the output ISOs folder in "set outpath="

set inpath=Your CSOs folder path here
set outpath=Your decompressed isos folder path here

ISO to CSO batch will compress PS2 and PSP backed up games to CSO, saving tons of space, instructions are like above, just make sure you set the input folder path for your ISOs first and the compressed CSO files in outpath.

As a bonus I'm also posting more two batches that will compress Bin+Cue to CHDs and ISO to CHDs.

Like in MaxCSO batches, all you have to do is making sure you have, in this case, CHDMAN.exe in the same directory as the batch and set the input and output folders like this:

set rompath=your original bin+cue or iso (if you're compressing isos) folder here
set destpath=your CHD compressed folder

Note that the ISO to CHD batch is different and will not compress games that are in other formats and vice versa.

Obs: Even Bin with multiple bin tracks+cue will be compressed and the game will play as usual like it was from the real CD in a single CHD.

ISO2CSO.bat

CSO2ISO.bat

Batch - Bins+Cues to CHD.cmd

Batch - Isos to CHD.cmd

4 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Awesome contribution!

Do you know to which version the script converts the CHDs to?

Any CHDMAN version should work, at least from MAME 190 and above, I've been updating CHDMAN from time to time and the script works without problems.

If you grabbed the scripts above, make sure you download CSO2ISO again, it needed a minor fix in the output compressed file and it's OK now.

• 7 months later...
On Github, I contacted Unknown W. Brackets, among other tools, he developed maxcso, which a lot of people use to compress games for PS2 and PSP to save space.
He sent me a useful batch script that will facilitate compression/decompression, I'm posting the script here.
Hopefully it will be attached to the OP as well.
Instructions:
First of all, get the latest MAXCSO version on Github here:
https://github.com/unknownbrackets/maxcso/releases
Than extract MAXCSO.exe to the same folder where this batch is in your computer.
CSO to ISO batch will decompress CSO compressed files back to ISO, you need to open this batch in notepad (notepad++ recommended), and add the input CSOs folder in "set inpath=" and the output ISOs folder in "set outpath="
set inpath=Your CSOs folder path here
set outpath=Your decompressed isos folder path here
ISO to CSO batch will compress PS2 and PSP backed up games to CSO, saving tons of space, instructions are like above, just make sure you set the input folder path for your ISOs first and the compressed CSO files in outpath.
As a bonus I'm also posting more two batches that will compress Bin+Cue to CHDs and ISO to CHDs.
Like in MaxCSO batches, all you have to do is making sure you have, in this case, CHDMAN.exe in the same directory as the batch and set the input and output folders like this:
set rompath=your original bin+cue or iso (if you're compressing isos) folder here
set destpath=your CHD compressed folder
Note that the ISO to CHD batch is different and will not compress games that are in other formats and vice versa.
Obs: Even Bin with multiple bin tracks+cue will be compressed and the game will play as usual like it was from the real CD in a single CHD.

ISO2CSO.bat
CSO2ISO.bat
Batch - Bins+Cues to CHD.cmd
Batch - Isos to CHD.cmd

Isn’t this what you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
On 3/28/2016 at 4:12 PM, SkyHighGam3r said:

(To be updated with CHD support info)

Hey guys,

So I know a few months back we had a great discussion about various compression methods. I've made a lot of progress and changes on my personal build since then, and I now feel like it's a good time to revisit the subject; and hopefully provide some kind of solid template for the 'best' formats for myself as well as others.

I'm trying to find formats that are natively supported by emulators. The standard zip formats are great (7z/Zip/Rar5, etc.), but they also require unzipping; which takes time and local hard drive space (Albeit, temporarily). This can be handled with various methods like scripts, but for the sake of simplicity, I want to focus on formats that load up natively in a given systems emulator.

Here is a list of what we have discussed and compiled thus far:

Playstation
Compressed Format: PBP
Original Format: BIN/CUE (single-track)
Program: PSX2PSP (v1.3)/(v1.4.2) <<<Version needs clarification
Supported by: RetroArch's PSX Mednafen Core, ePSXe, and PCSX-R

Notes:

• PBP Playstation games are mostly playable on soft-modded PSP hardware. However, results vary based on the game.

Important:
In order to convert PSX games to the PBP format, your game disc must bin a single track bin/cue (only one.bin file). In order to convert a multi bin-track image to single-track, there are a couple methods available to you:

• Mount/Rip
    Usining a program like Daemon Tools, mount the disc's cue file.
    With the disc mounted, you can then use IMGburn to 'rip' the disc into a single bin/cue.
    You can also take this opportunity to re-name your BIN/CUE when you rip the disc and it will automatically make the change inside the CUE file.

Playstation Portable
Compressed Format: CSO
Original Format: ISO
Program: MaxCSO
Supported by: PPSSPP & PPSSPP (RetroArch)

Playstation 2
Compressed Format: GZ
Program: 7zip
Supported by: PCSX2

Supported by: PCSX2

Notes:

• When opening a GZ file for the first time, PCSX2 will take up to a minute in order to create a gz.tmp file in the same directory. This is an index file that PCSX2 will read to access the GZ file. Everytime you open the game after that, it will open as normal.
  • GZ and CSO both appear to have the same rate of compression.
  • CSO will open just the same as a normal ISO.

Gamecube
Compressed Format: GCZ
Program: Dolphin
Supported by: Dolphin

Wii
Compressed Format: WBFS
Program: Wii Backup Manager
Supported by: Dolphin & Hardware (via USB Loader)

Compressed Format: GCZ
Program: Dolphin
Supported by: Dolphin

Supported by: Dolphin (Requires Confirmation)

Notes:

• WBFS files are supported by various USB loader programs on 'softmodded' Wii hardware.
  • GCZ files are not playable on Wii hardware.
  • When compressing DL-DVD games, GCZ is recommended over WBFS.

Dreamcast
Compressed Format: CHD
Original Format: GDI
Program: GDI to CHD
Supported by: NullDC, Demul, & Reicast (RetroArch Core)

Notes:

• GDI files are direct 1:1 copies of a GD-Rom game. (The format Sega used for Dreamcast games)
  • CDI files are GDI files that have been converted to fit on a standard 700mb CD-R. If a game's size was larger than 700mb (up to 1.2Gb) then files such as audio or video are downsampled. (or ripped alltogether)
  • Hardware will only play CDI files burned onto CD-Rs
  • Emulators will play both GDI and CDI files
  • CDI files are not compatible with CHD compression.

GBA/NDS/3DS
Compressed Format: Same as Original
Original Format: GBA/NDS/3DS
Program: NDSTokyoTrim
Supported by: As it's the same extension, it's believed this is supported by all emulators.
(Confirmed to be working on NDS flash carts)

(As well as anything with "???" next to it)
Here are the ones needed to fill the current holes listed above:

Playstation - RetroArch's Mednafen PSX Core
.PCE  - Possible compression format?

Wii - Dolphin
Can Dolphin natively run CSO?

Dreamcast - NullDC/Reicast
CDI Games - Any compression possible?
.ELF - Possible compression format?

I'm looking to make this as comprehensive as possible, so please, any input you have I would love to hear.
Is there another format you are aware of? Do you think any systems should be added?

Just remember the idea is to focus on natively supported compression formats. Rather than using RocketLauncher/7zip to unzip everything. Let's see if we can make this thread worth a sticky ;)

Thank You 4 this but i have Question:
I have converted to pbp but how to do it now to run the game through hyperspin, RL ?
Game working fine in PBP + Epsx but in HS, RL no see the game or is black screen ?

19 hours ago, Spawk said:

Add the pbp extension in RL ( I would add it first before 7z as RL will search in the order listed):

372747427_RLaddextension.thumb.PNG.82edf8839a5eeb1f5d3b0761c3f55c5d.PNG

And if you are using any filters (roms only) in HQ, add the extension there as well.

Thank You very much I'm a chestnut so I forgot to add in RL PBP hehe: P
3 weeks break from settings and such failures: D
It is a pity that this compresion option is not more efficient as in the case of 7zip etc. but better than nothing;)
Thank you again ?

• Aorin pinned and unpinned this topic

Archived