Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Bezels

gkny

Hi Sting,

Good vid but before I do the setup just wanted to confirm if your folder structure is personal or retroarch specific.

So in your com.retroarch/files/system/mame folder you have cfg and artwork folders. Is that where retroarch defaults to look for them files

This makes sense to me if you are using per core settings and changing the directories path for overlays and configs

I may have missed something as watching while driving which is bad I know!

Hi Sting,

Good vid but before I do the setup just wanted to confirm if your folder structure is personal or retroarch specific.

So in your com.retroarch/files/system/mame folder you have cfg and artwork folders. Is that where retroarch defaults to look for them files

This makes sense to me if you are using per core settings and changing the directories path for overlays and configs

I may have missed something as watching while driving which is bad I know!

It's (RetroArch MAME core) and (MAME) specific mate, if you don't set it the same way as in the video you won't get the bezels and the other systems to work. Also my personal advice would be to turn off per core settings, follow my video and put the BIOS files for the other system cores in the (system) folder too, along side the (MAME) folder, and then turn your per core settings back on. It will save you hassle down the road.

Hi,

Great video, what version of MAME can you run on MAME core on RetroArch ? I have up to MAME 0.172 with CHD's will it run the CHD's as I think i seen them in your MAME folder on your video ?

Thanks

I don't think there's a definitive answer to what version of MAME you can run, I'm on 0.161 but going to jump to 0.172 this weekend. The MAME core in Retroarch is 0.170, but I just don't think the hardware is up to it, hence why not everything plays. I'm still trying to get the CHD's to load, but haven't managed to yet :/

PS, have you thought about calling yourself SimplySting ? I am sure SimplyAustin won't mind as you are now the Android Hyperspin tutorial person now :)

Hahaha :D No, Simply Austin is Awesome!!! And I'm definitely not try to step on his toes, his videos are the best!!! There wasn't any video's of the Android side of things on HyperSpin and Retroarch, and there's not really any setup guides for MAME/MESS on setting up individual systems, so wanted to make it as easy as possible for people :)

Lol that simply Austin red cracked me up.

Sting I will pm you later but I'm kind of doing a similar thing to you (without videos) and your a huge help! Be good to get some feedback.

Keep up the good work

Happy to help mate, let me know what you need :)

Thanks sting. I'm using 0.139 mame4droid. Do you know which retroarch core works with that

MAME4droid is an emulator, 0.139 is the ROM set number. So if your ROMs are 0.139, just use the (MAME) core, and it should play most of the ROMs :) I know there's a lot of confusion on ROM sets and MAME versions, I know I was was confused at first!!! But the long and short of it is, the newer the MAME version, the higher the hardware you will need to run it. And obviously Android device's aren't up to the same level as PC's yet. If you wanted the latest ROM set though you can download the latest set, and it'll be just hit and miss which of the newest ROMs will work, or you could update your ROMs and when it asks you to skip or replace the ROMs you already have, you could just skip the one's you have for the time being. I've just updated to 0.172, and will live with the fact some ROMs won't play. Here are MINIMUM requirements MAME requires to run:)

System Requirements

MAME is written in fairly generic C/C++, and has been ported to numerous platforms. Over time, as computer hardware has evolved, the MAME code has evolved as well to take advantage of the greater processing power and hardware capabilities offered.

The official MAME binaries are compiled and designed to run on a standard Windows-based system. The minimum requirements are:

Intel Core series CPU or equivalent, at least 2.0 GHz

32-bit OS (Vista SP1 or later on Windows, 10.9 or later on Mac)

4 GB RAM

DirectX 9.0c for Windows

A Direct3D, or OpenGL capable graphics card

Any DirectSound capable sound card/onboard audio

Of course, the minimum requirements are just that: minimal. You may not get optimal performance from such a system, but MAME should run. Modern versions of MAME require more power than older versions, so if you have a less-capable PC, you may find that using an older version of MAME may get you better performance, at the cost of greatly lowered accuracy and fewer supported systems.

This is good info.

While on the mame/android subject

What are the android mame emulator options you know of? Is it just mame4droid and retroarch or are there others.

Mame roms are so confusing. What do you use to organise/clean (clrmamepro?)

What's more compatible to actually launch games (not bothered about storage) merged sets or split sets?

I only have one set and have only scanned it once before giving up until I'm more experienced!

Archived