Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Finally starting my Popeye machine....

MontyQ

Very well said. The little Nintendo joysticks are so tiny at first you almost cant believe it, but when you start playing popeye, DK, or mario bros you will learn quick those short little sticks are the best for those games. Those zippy sticks are great and have a nice smooth motion to them, but only really good if you emulating every game. If you want the true feel and gameplay of the Nintendo games and have your cab look a little more authentic the Nintendo joystick is the way to go. BTW I first used zippy like balltop joysticks in my FIFjr Nintendo cab, was good for all around hyperspin but I was never happy with the feel and look. Since I changed to the classic Nintendo 8-way setup I can play all hyperspin systems and it feels so much better with the classics.

Here is a pic of my first control panel I made for my FIFjr cab, towards the bottom left of the page.

FIFjrCPm.jpg

One more thing, MonkeyChunkUK your control panel for sure deserves Nintendo sticks. And so many control panels in the 80s had routed out sections for sticks and I have never seen one with that area cracked or broken. So I think its totally ok.

I find playing Nintendo games on a real stick a lot different then on any other stick. It's tiny its loose play action, and I always would think playing on my other machine with stiff happ sticks it would be better.....it's nothing the same. But being a fan of those games the real stick just feels great, not like you could say play SF2 with a Nintendo stick. So in the end certain games feel just right imo with the controls you grew up playing them on. Like playing Metal Slug on a real Neo Geo cab is awesome feel for me as it seemed growing up every pool hall /bar here had a Neo Geo cab to play. lol that and Golden Tee was also everywhere.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah to make it just like the real Nintendo cabs you put the plexi on top. I havent done that yet for my DK2 or Felix, but soon will. Here is the dimensions of the plexi piece. Also I have the download link here to the actual size of the entire CPO and all buttons and holes match right up with actual Donkey Kong, Popeye, and DKjr control panels. PDF HERE

NintyCPOtemplate.jpg

i am a new member (Plt) and i will like to know what to do next. i try installing Hyperspin and its note working fore me i all so downloaded the Gold Member file and dont know what to do. can i get some help and do platinum members get a 1click install?

need help & thank you for your time.

i am a new member (Plt) and i will like to know what to do next. i try installing Hyperspin and its note working for me, I all so downloaded the Gold Member file and dont know what to do. and do platinum members get a 1click install?

need help & thank you for your time.

All that's left at this point is to put the pc in and do the side art. I'll be done in like an hour or so ................ but not today as the cabinet is in the garage and it's pouring rain out. So like I said before by Monday all well be setup and running :)

Hi Monty,

In 1 hour Sideart is that so easy ?

You need a hairdryer to work exactly without bubbles ?

Greetings from Germany uNkeLo

One hour includes setting up the pc and monitor and doing the art....the art I got from RidicRick is air release vinyl so it's really simple to apply takes only a few minutes to do it bubble free. No hairdryer was needed at all to install the art in my case just peel it and stick it really, as I put it on I use a plastic piece like a small squeegee to smooth it out as I go. The bezel was the hardest part because all the cut out shapes ect...that took probably only under ten minutes to get it right and nice.

ah ok,

Time for new Pictures ?

after some hours researching and thinking about the Marquee i decided between a Standard lighten Marquee , a wide LCd or a DMD.

LCD is eventually not the arcade flair to high resolution and to expensive and the standard marquee is only one picture.

Whats all your opinion about such a thing here. I can imagine some pacmans sprites walking over this ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=45lv-mggMAU

Greetings uNkeLo

ah ok,

Time for new Pictures ?

after some hours researching and thinking about the Marquee i decided between a Standard lighten Marquee , a wide LCd or a DMD.

LCD is eventually not the arcade flair to high resolution and to expensive and the standard marquee is only one picture.

Whats all your opinion about such a thing here. I can imagine some pacmans sprites walking over this ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=45lv-mggMAU

Greetings uNkeLo

Ya that's really cool and I seen a video of a member here having one all setup and it looks amazing. Thing is cost and how to setup plus then I highly doubt that there is a marquee for every game in the mame set ready to be put on it.....other then that its awesome but for the cost of that digital marquee I could probley build my whole Popeye all over again.

Hi,

Yeah Platinum now =)

The DMD From China cost only ~170 dollar thats ok .

I want pictures ^^

Greetings uNkeLo

170 not bad at all, I thought it be a lot more then that. Also congratulations on platinum :)

As for pictures I am going to add some in a few minutes. I always update the first post to keep it all in one area, take a look there in five minutes ;)

Damn that cab looks beautiful!!! great job on this buddy....congrats this will fit nicely with your other cabs

Cheers :) I can't wait to get it running tonight and add it to the line up........ I better go get a roll of quarters lol.

Well done Sir, It looks beautiful, love the white t-molding.

Now the hard part, pm me and we will discuss shipping it to the UK. ;)

Thanks :) , I'll post more pics when it's all up and running ect........shipping to UK well I bet that would be 2-3 times the cost of building the cabinet lol.

All is now up and running and completed, pictures have been added. The build is finally over and I can say it was a lot of fun :)

• 4 months later...

Just had a good time reading this thread... I have been restoring a Popeye cab I found lying out for bulk trash 5 years ago and ran into a lot of the same issues/dilemmas. I ended up making 2 control panels that can be switched out - one 4 way with the original control panel overlay and layout and a second panel with 8-way happs and SF II button layout for the full Hyperspin gamut. With the panels just being clasped in and an iPac in both panels it makes it easy to do a (relatively) quick switch. After seeing your progress I may embark on a "from scratch" journey to build a Playchoice-themed cab this summer.

Just had a good time reading this thread... I have been restoring a Popeye cab I found lying out for bulk trash 5 years ago and ran into a lot of the same issues/dilemmas. I ended up making 2 control panels that can be switched out - one 4 way with the original control panel overlay and layout and a second panel with 8-way happs and SF II button layout for the full Hyperspin gamut. With the panels just being clasped in and an iPac in both panels it makes it easy to do a (relatively) quick switch. After seeing your progress I may embark on a "from scratch" journey to build a Playchoice-themed cab this summer.

Ya go for it that be awesome, I did it with no real tools even lol and it was pretty simple and I still play it daily.

Excellent job. I was just thinking today that I wanted to do a nintendo cab strictly for DK, DKj, Mario, and Popeye but I really don't want to pay for and gut an actual nintendo cab in the process. Did you use the Jakobud plans for your build?

Archived