Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

ScummVM on Shield TV

Norkusa

Hi all,

I have the game working from inside retroarch but when launching them from Hyperspin it's a no go. I did edit the xml with the extra / but still no go.

I also have the .scummvm files in my rom folder but when I start a game from inside Hyperspin it's just flashes and back to HS.

Any ideas?

Greetings Ron

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my ini file:

rompath=Roms/scummvm/roms/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_Android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true

And this is a example of how my XML looks like:

<game name="Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis/Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"

All the .scummvm files are in the roms folders 

3 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Hey Ron,

@Honosuseri is the only man around often with this setup. I skipped it myself.

do you have each game in its own folder?

chuck up a screenshot of your romfolder and .ini file... it's easier to spot problems.

doubt I will get a chance tonight to look. :(

Yes it was a bit of a pig to do. Sorry the video is gone BUT as I have explained, I don't have the time to maintain that channel or add more guide content to it. So it's now gone and not coming back. Ron hasn't really supplied the info you asked for, although if he has the games working in RA he must be nearly there.

.ini snippet...
[exe info]
path=
rompath=/storage/emulated/0/Hyperspin/Roms/ScummVM/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=true

[filters]
parents_only=true
themes_only=false
wheels_only=true
roms_only=false

Note the parameters line is "cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so"...a small "a" not a capital.

I can see my XML is different. I am using the shortened names, so "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" is just called "atlantis". The FM Towns version is "atlantis-fm". The games must be in their own folders and the .scummvm file name must also match what is in the xml file.

I'm "shipping out" again real soon, I've done some more on the Android wheel BUT I won't be around much longer to give anymore assistance. All the best with it Ron

I sunk a fair bit of time into this ScummVM wheel. I'm not doing "video guides" anymore BUT you can see this showcase with some of the all time classics/my personal favourites loading up. Hopefully it inspires others to get this cool "system" shown off in Hyperspin on the STV...

7 hours ago, krater9 said:

Thanks Honosuseri and thatman84, I already came alot futher and the first games started loading from within hyperspin, thanks alot :):)

Np, great you got it going

Please let other user know what fixed things.... its good to round these threads off for future readers.

Did you replace some files?

you have to ake sure that the Scummvm.ini in the org.retroarch/data/files/system folder points to the drive that containes the games. Else it's impossible to add the scummvm gamen into the retroarch scummvm core. But I found out that I still have issues with some games who need dat files like Kyra and Lure maybe that someone has a solve for that.

I'm starting by trying to get a game to load in RetroArch.  I updated my ScummVM core to the latest.  I load the core.  When I start the core I get the black/green interface, but the default folder is the root folder (/) and I can browse from that to point to my roms folder because the root folder is not accessible on the Shield.  I don't see any way to enter a path here either.  So, I went to my RA System folder and found an empty scummvm.ini file.  If I enter a path in here to my roms folder it just crashes RA as soon as I try to start the core in RA.  I've tried many valid paths, it won't seem to work with any path.  Anything in this file crashes RA.  Any ideas?

@aftermath17 since I posted i domloaded Beneath the syeel sky from a "paradise" of emu and placed a text file with the word sky as the only contents inside the extracted game folder.

This is on my phone not the shield. 

Stoarge/emulated/0/roms/ScummVm/Beneath The Steel Sky/Beneath The Steel Sky.scummvm

I launched into the game by browsing and loading the .scummvm file with retroarch.

Note on my phone i had to load the core 1st but its been playing up since i grabbed the Daphne core from a custom online updater url so dont think its a problem others will have

I have .scummvm files with the GameID in them.  I have these files in both my ScummVM roms folder and the subfolder that contains the game.  Example, in my roms folder I have a sky.scummvm file that contain the single word "sky" on the first line.  This file is also in my roms/sky subfolder (along with the game roms files).  

The problem I have is this part:

I launched into the game by browsing and loading the .scummvm file with retroarch

I can't browse to anything.  It defaults to the root folder and I can't move forward to my roms folder to choose the .scumm folder.  Out of curiosity, what is in your scummvm.ini from your RA system folder?

This is the full contents of the .ini file on my phine

[scummvm]
versioninfo=2.0.0

4 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

The problem I have is this part:

I launched into the game by browsing and loading the .scummvm file with retroarch

I can't browse to anything.  It defaults to the root folder and I can't move forward to my roms folder to choose the .scumm folder.  Out of curiosity, what is in your scummvm.ini from your RA system folder?

Doh I thought you were contradicting yourself at 1st there before realising that was my statement :)

Sounds like your launching into RA from within Hyperspin?

Launch RA directly from your Shield home screen.

If your launching RA directly already I suggest updating from the playstore. Before you update YOU must backup your install.

Home/RetroArch

Home/Android/data/com.retroarch

Just incase you break everything

I'm launching RA standalone, not from Hyperspin.  I already have the latest version of RA (1.7.1) and the latest core (2.0.0).  Maybe we're talking about different things.  I can "Load Core" and "Load Content" to start a game.  I'm talking about "Start Core".  I get a ScummVM interface but can't browse to a folder to add my games to that interface.  My understanding was that was what's needed in order for these games to launch from Hyperspin.  My scummvm.ini is still completely blank in my RA system folder too.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, krater9 said:

you have to ake sure that the Scummvm.ini in the org.retroarch/data/files/system folder points to the drive that containes the games. Else it's impossible to add the scummvm gamen into the retroarch scummvm core. But I found out that I still have issues with some games who need dat files like Kyra and Lure maybe that someone has a solve for that.

This is the part that I'm talking about.  Can you show me what you have in your scummvm.ini in your RA system folder?  I assume that's why it's impossible to add games into the RAW scummvm core (as you say).

2 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

This is the part that I'm talking about.  Can you show me what you have in your scummvm.ini in your RA system folder?  I assume that's why it's impossible to add games into the RAW scummvm core (as you say).

Ok I get it now.

i would have to set this up on the Shield to test it.

I guess you have tried just launching the .scummvm files from Hyperspin?

i will try tonight (it's 7am here)

5 hours ago, thatman84 said:

This contradicts what krater9 said.

idk why people don't just write it down to help everyone else out. So frustrating 

So? In fairness I have it completely working, he is the one asking for assistance. Yes if you use the ScummVM app to play the games you add them into the launcher, so I understand why people would think it was necessary BUT when launching through Hyperspin we are pointing to the Scummvm files to load the games.

I had done a video but it didn't get much attention. It's really not that difficult, we have to use "the folder trick" and have .scummvm files for the games in their folders (these are what Hyperspin thinks are the roms). I've even linked the .DAT files required for some games to run, these also live in the games folder if required. There is a set of scummvm files available which are easy enough to find, they would need renaming though to match the HS xml file. I just made my own, the first line is just the shortened name for the game listed on the ScummVM website (in the compatibility section)

If some games aren't working (even though they work on PC or the official ScummVM app), it's  the game rips which I can't help with or they have invalid .DAT files. The .DAT files I linked I have tested and are a OK, I provided a video of Lure of the temptress launching from HS and playing, it's one of the games that requires a .DAT file.

@Honosuseri that was not a dig at you specifically mate. Im on a day out so not read the whole post

I linked your comment to highlight to aftermath that you contradicted krater on setting this one up.

You say things are easy but theres still tricks to setting things up. My 1st attempt at launching from Hs failed and aftermath posted in here in 2015 iirc. The only reason I got this nearly setup quickly was from 4 or 5 different comments in this thread from different people.

Why everyone has to keep doing the same things over and over just erks me

I will do my best to get this system setup working and written up for others even though I will never play any of these games

Archived