Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

ScummVM on Shield TV

Norkusa

I didn't mean to sound snarky dude. I'm with friends this weekend saying my goodbyes before I head off again..I don't have time to do a step by step write up. I've tried to supply all the important info in that post. I understand your frustration, it's why I did make that video originally (which you had already seen), because Pouteur's explanation was very vague.

Never said it was easy, just not that difficult. It's tricky because we have to use "the folder trick" as you know this has a knock on effect to the artwork. Hopefully that post puts people on the right track. Would be nice if somebody else did an explanation if they got it working, you do enough as is IMHO

P.S If people aren't using Hyperspin and just want to play the games on an Android device, just use the official scummVM app on the playstore. It's not as fussy with the game rips as the RA core. Yes you need to add the games in the launcher but that's less hassle than creating all those .scummvm files

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did not work through Hyperspin, no.  There's sometimes a theme of "Look what I got working, it's easy" and then minimal (or evasive) help on how to do it.  thatman84, you find it frustrating because you're extremely helpful and don't understand why others are not :)

I now got it working with the help of a tip from Pouteur.  I still cannot add games into the RA core interface but it's not necessary to launch from Hyperspin (krater9 seems to have done it this way, not sure how, and why I was going down this path).  The solution for me was to make sure the game name in the ScummVM.xml has a forward slash in it to tell Hyperspin to traverse into the subfolder for the game:

<game name="sky/sky" index="" image="">

Then, in this "sky" subfolder, make sure you have a sky.scummvm with the single word "sky" in it along with the game files.  Lastly, it's been posted before but this is my ScummVM.ini for Hyperspin:

rompath=Roms/ScummVM/roms/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=true

If anyone has any issues or questions let me know.

12 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

It did not work through Hyperspin, no.  There's sometimes a theme of "Look what I got working, it's easy" and then minimal (or evasive) help on how to do it.  thatman84, you find it frustrating because you're extremely helpful and don't understand why others are not :)

I now got it working with the help of a tip from Pouteur.  I still cannot add games into the RA core interface but it's not necessary to launch from Hyperspin (krater9 seems to have done it this way, not sure how, and why I was going down this path).  The solution for me was to make sure the game name in the ScummVM.xml has a forward slash in it to tell Hyperspin to traverse into the subfolder for the game:

<game name="sky/sky" index="" image="">

Then, in this "sky" subfolder, make sure you have a sky.scummvm with the single word "sky" in it along with the game files.  Lastly, it's been posted before but this is my ScummVM.ini for Hyperspin:

rompath=Roms/ScummVM/roms/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=true

If anyone has any issues or questions let me know.

Thats cool dude. Glad its sorted. Can you test curse of monkey island please (comi) as im getting "no data" found error from Hyperspin not sure what I did wrong but only had 10mins

Did you watch the video i posted? It shows you how to add the toms folder to the scummvm.ini in retroarch system so you can browse and add games to the core after you "start core"

My example was a mounted NAS drive storage/MYCLOUD/

Adding the forward slash in the xml (e.g sky/sky) is "the folder trick". There's a post in the Playstation thread (for us Android users) which explains how to quickly apply it to all game entries in the XML file, using a simple command in Notepad++. It also explains the artwork has to live in it's own folders though, this is a side effect to using the trick.

Krater9 explained the change he made in Retroarch to get the games added into the launcher. As I said that is not needed.

@Honosuseri last thing before I leave this so you can get your goodbyes done my friend.

I remember there being and audio issue you explained a fix for for in the vid. What was that again? :)

Also if your back for any reason weekend the 30th june im gonna organise a meetup at arcadeClub nr manchester....

8 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Thats cool dude. Glad its sorted. Can you test curse of monkey island please (comi) as im getting "no data" found error from Hyperspin not sure what I did wrong but only had 10mins

Did you watch the video i posted? It shows you how to add the toms folder to the scummvm.ini in retroarch system so you can browse and add games to the core after you "start core"

My example was a mounted NAS drive storage/MYCLOUD/

Just tested Curse of Monkey Island and it works for me.  Same process as I described in my previous post.  Let me know if I can help with anything.

14 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@Honosuseri last thing before I leave this so you can get your goodbyes done my friend.

I remember there being and audio issue you explained a fix for for in the vid. What was that again? :)

Also if your back for any reason weekend the 30th june im gonna organise a meetup at arcadeClub nr manchester....

Yeah sure. As I said it comes down to the game rips. I think in some cases I used the mac version which doesn't do audio through .sou files. I can't really discuss the games because...rules! BUT people need to understand just because the game rip they have works on PC or the ScummVM app doesn't mean the RA core will like it.

You asked someone to test Monkey Island...I already took the time to post another video showing my setup and several classic games loading, COMI was one of them.

17 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Also need to know a game that needs a .dat file setup. Im not grabbing a whole set! 

Please read the thread. I also took the time to attach a video of Lure of the Princess being tested and shown working for Krater9. It's pretty obvious which games need the .DAT files from their names (Lure and Kyra)

Thanks man....yeah ScummVM has no real interest to me so i dont watch those vids like the Amiga ones!

Ok so rips are key thats good to know.

Sometimes I hate those bloddy rules! Thats why everyone loves a facebook or closed groups, pain in the arse.

5 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Please read the thread. I also took the time to attach a video of Lure of the Princess being tested and shown working for Krater9. It's pretty obvious which games need the .DAT files from their names (Lure and Kyra)

Yes those were noted by myself but as krater didnt have it setup and you said about game series, i just wanted a quick concrete answer on a game that needs it and is working. I guess i will look for lure then.

22 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Thanks man....yeah ScummVM has no real interest to me so i dont watch those vids like the Amiga ones!

Ok so rips are key thats good to know.

Sometimes I hate those bloddy rules! Thats why everyone loves a facebook or closed groups, pain in the arse.

No worries. All the info is here if people read the thread, if someone wants to do an "idiots guide" step by step that's fair enough. The video I had done helped a few people out and got them going very quickly...there just wasn't much interest in the channel. As you know my time is precious and now you mention it the recent "troubleshooting guide" I did for Amiga has very few views...and people wonder why I have stopped doing it ;)

2 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Yes those were noted by myself but as krater didnt have it setup and you said about game series, i just wanted a quick concrete answer on a game that needs it and is working. I guess i will look for lure then.

Kyrandia is a series of three games SO each game's folder will need the Kyra.DAT inside it. Lure of the Temptress requires the Lure.DAT. You'll know if a game requires a DAT  as if it's missing it's stated when you try to load the game.

3 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Kyrandia is a series of three games SO each game's folder will need the Kyra.DAT inside it. Lure of the Temptress requires the Lure.DAT. You'll know if a game requires a DAT  as if it's missing it's stated when you try to load the game.

Perfect, thats exactly what i was after. :)

You should do some snes, nes, mega drive, ppsspp, and ps1 videos if you want to drive up the views! Lol release some setup packs like every other youtuber! Its nice to get views but all that comes over time and with high profile stuff.

I shamelessly promote my worthwhile vids anywhere i can to drive up the view count a little :) i will always point out a good video to anyone just like i do for the official tutorials every week!

I already explained the .DAT situation to Krater9 here in the thread, if I've clarified it then that's good :)

I'm not interested in doing the videos any more dude. People have this sense of entitlement and want the absolute lot to download, if you don't do that it's not good enough. Rules prevent me from doing this and I don't want to be banned from here, not that they would care.

I'll make sure to get that Android stuff I knocked together to you before I head off into the blue yonder.

Poppin in real quick while at work....I don't always check this unless I get a notification on my email from the phone but anyone can message me on fb...as far as this scummvm goes, for dat files a site was posted or u can downlaod the scummvm pc standalone emulator...those dat files come bundled with it...grab the files and delete the app   don't have to install it..  also like stated above no need to import the games....id stay away from any mac versions of the games   if possible stick with ps1, amiga, FM towns, dos...those usually work 100% fine....other than that it comes down to proper naming.. .u can name the game folder anything u want . .to know what it is I go with the name of the game ...scummvm file needs to be named the same also...now the text inside the scummvm file needs to be the official scummvm name assigned to it...this is easy 2 see by using the PC and simulating as if u were gonna import it .....lastly when it comes to the official names, for android u MUST leave certain tags off like -1,-usa,etc    I've seen scummvm names with those and it will not load on android uniles u remove it ..for an example only...let's say on the PC u see the official name as comi-1 or comi-usa...for this to work on android u just write it as comi.....its basically trial and error but if u have any issues feel free to text me...now that it's getting warm , more ships will be coming which means I'll be pulling 70-80 hour work weeks so I have no choice but to slow up on emulation dramatically :-(

Welp....about an hour free to start working on a new wheel....smh....sucks when all I have is the roms...now time to make vidoes, wheels, themes, bezels, and bring it all together....shyt sucks when it's a hobby but an addiction at the same time...lmaooo

4 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

I've seen scummvm names with those and it will not load on android uniles u remove it ..for an example only...let's say on the PC u see the official name as comi-1 or comi-usa...for this to work on android u just write it as comi.....its basically trial and error

NO, it's not trial and error!

As I already stated the first line of the .scummvm file is the shortened name of the game (aka Game ID) as listed on the ScummVM website in their compatibility section. For some reason the Hyperspin ScummVM.xml has added suffixes like -usa to some games. I would just name the .scummvm files after the xml entry as the Hyperspin media we download will use those same names.

Nothing wrong with the Mac versions I have tested, they were rarely needed. An Amiga or DOS version would NOT have the voices for those games I used the Mac version for. Some of these classic games have been re-released as remasters you can buy on Steam or GOG..they also include the files for the original version of the game to use with ScummVM 

16 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

I feel u....the trial and error was in my personal experience as I used the PC to grab the shortened official names...some games didnt work unless I changed those tags at the end... not forgetting that I got it all from the scummvm PC standalone and I still had to remove tags...I never used or looked at the official XML because I only went with what I got...at the end I finished that wheel with 192 games all working all loading all with sound and all with individual themes...

When you say all working, is this on the Shield?  The keyboard doesn't work for some games I have tried even though my keyboard works fine in the Shield and in other games.  Example: King's Quest III.  You need to be able to type at the prompt for the Sierra AGI games.  I can get the virtual keyboard to appear (not near as good as a physical one) but even that won't enter any text.  I can click the phone-like buttons with the mouse cursor and they show as being pressed but no text. 

4 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

When you say all working, is this on the Shield?  The keyboard doesn't work for some games I have tried even though my keyboard works fine in the Shield and in other games.  Example: King's Quest III.  You need to be able to type at the prompt for the Sierra AGI games.  I can get the virtual keyboard to appear (not near as good as a physical one) but even that won't enter any text.  I can click the phone-like buttons with the mouse cursor and they show as being pressed but no text. 

Tested it for you on my STV, KQ3 plays just fine. I can type "Hello" on a physical keyboard in to the prompt and "Hi" is displayed on screen. I'm sorry but I don't have time to record any more videos, you'll just have to trust me.

It could be down to the game rip, try another. Out of interest try the version you have with the Official scummVM app from the play store and see what happens.

4 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

Also just double check RetroArch does not recognise your keyboard as a gamepad. My wireless k400b is recognised as a gampad.

There is no strict way to fix this afaik unless RetroArch fixed it. Its a known thing that wireless keyboards do with android/retroarch. Thats if your keyboard is wireless.

try a usb keyboard

1 minute ago, thatman84 said:

Also just double check RetroArch does not recognise your keyboard as a gamepad. My wireless k400b is recognised as a gampad.

There is no strict way to fix this afaik unless RetroArch fixed it. Its a known thing that wireless keyboards do with android/retroarch. Thats if your keyboard is wireless.

try a usb keyboard

I should have mentioned I am using a USB keyboard

Archived