Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

ScummVM on Shield TV

Norkusa

26 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Its the best way to do it. If you have never come across it you wouldn't really know

It crossed my mind it might be an issue with the wireless KB BUT I've never heard of the problem personally. have a k400 which I let my mother use for her HTPC. I do also have another Logitech keyboard for my rig, which should pair directly with the STV. It was before they used the "unified dongle"...might be worth seeing what happens using that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grabbed a USB be one from work recently.

hate using a keyboard on the Shield, doubt I will use it unless Amiga ever gets out of limbo or the RA devs need something testing.

may have it plugged in permanently when I have a Gaming desk, if I ever finish this stupid diy stuff off :) 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:32 PM, thatman84 said:

I grabbed a USB be one from work recently.

hate using a keyboard on the Shield, doubt I will use it unless Amiga ever gets out of limbo or the RA devs need something testing.

may have it plugged in permanently when I have a Gaming desk, if I ever finish this stupid diy stuff off :) 

Have you considered an Arcade coffee table for the lounge? Those cheap Ikea tables are dead easy to cut open and drop a panel in there. That way the wife can have the TV and you have a dedicated screen and private listening through the STV gamepad...no need to put the arcade sticks in as most people have done. You can "tinker" and still spend quality time together ;)

Ok...just got home from work..also tried kq3.....idk about a prompt but it booted str8 to the game....for this one u need a wireless keyboard that is recognized as a keyboard and not gamepad like my logitech k400...I can type and move with the keyboard shown in the pic...

20180423_193808.jpg

3 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

Ok...just got home from work..also tried kq3.....idk about a prompt but it booted str8 to the game....for this one u need a wireless keyboard that is recognized as a keyboard and not gamepad like my logitech k400...I can type and move with the keyboard shown in the pic...

20180423_193808.jpg

Thanks Mike and everyone else for your help.  I also have a Logitech K400 so I'm guessing that's my issue.  I'll invest in a keyboard that works then!

6 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

Thanks Mike and everyone else for your help.  I also have a Logitech K400 so I'm guessing that's my issue.  I'll invest in a keyboard that works then!

No worries. Question is what to buy!

I tried my Logitech MX5000 which connects to the STV directly via Bluetooth (no unified dongle). As soon as I press a key, RA flashes up a gamepad is detected. So it's not just the K400 from Logitech with the issue. Apparently the issue is to do with Keyboards reporting to Android they are both a gamepad and KB when they have "Special buttons".

What Sanchez is using looks like the Rii brand of mini wireless keyboards. I've had them bundled with RPI kits, they're "OK" but it wouldn't be my preference. Being an old skool gamer I played Doom and other DOS classics on KB, I'd prefer the full layout. I tried a generic USB keyboard with a USB extension cable and it worked fine with RA and KQ3.

On April 24, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Honosuseri said:

No worries. Question is what to buy!

I tried my Logitech MX5000 which connects to the STV directly via Bluetooth (no unified dongle). As soon as I press a key, RA flashes up a gamepad is detected. So it's not just the K400 from Logitech with the issue. Apparently the issue is to do with Keyboards reporting to Android they are both a gamepad and KB when they have "Special buttons".

What Sanchez is using looks like the Rii brand of mini wireless keyboards. I've had them bundled with RPI kits, they're "OK" but it wouldn't be my preference. Being an old skool gamer I played Doom and other DOS classics on KB, I'd prefer the full layout. I tried a generic USB keyboard with a USB extension cable and it worked fine with RA and KQ3.

As soon as I press a key on my keyboard RetroArch text appears detecting it correctly as a Logitech K400 keyboard (not a gamepad). It still doesn't work though :/ if anyone has any Bluetooth keyboards that work in RA let me know :)

Retroarch updated to 1.7.2 and ScummVM has stopped working.  The instant I click to load the rom, it blinks back to my main Shield menu.  Other cores work.  

Tried deleting and re-download the core.  Also tried re-installing RA, neither work.

I did notice I can still run games through the standalone ScummVM app and the keyboard even works. I like RA but it's a real pain sometimes.

42 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

Retroarch updated to 1.7.2 and ScummVM has stopped working.  The instant I click to load the rom, it blinks back to my main Shield menu.  Other cores work.  

Tried deleting and re-download the core.  Also tried re-installing RA, neither work.

I did notice I can still run games through the standalone ScummVM app and the keyboard even works. I like RA but it's a real pain sometimes.

It sure is a pain. I set up Quake then that stopped non scummvm! I'm cursed lol.

has the core name changed to what's in your .ini? 

I may have upped the .so file to the tutorial WIP. You could try my local online updater guide to reinstate the core to your Shield if not routed

4 hours ago, thatman84 said:

It sure is a pain. I set up Quake then that stopped non scummvm! I'm cursed lol.

has the core name changed to what's in your .ini? 

I may have upped the .so file to the tutorial WIP. You could try my local online updater guide to reinstate the core to your Shield if not routed

I'm not even trying it in Hyperspin yet, just RA so it's not the .ini :) I may go back to an old core or just say forget it for now and play ScummVM through the app until this is fixed.

I just asked someone to test this on andriod RA directly with .scummvm files. All working on latest core, stable RA and latest nightly.

Works on my phone also. Latest core but v1.7.1 RA 

I must be something in you setup or the Shield. Try deleting you scummvm.ini in RetroArch/system

23 hours ago, thatman84 said:

I just asked someone to test this on andriod RA directly with .scummvm files. All working on latest core, stable RA and latest nightly.

Works on my phone also. Latest core but v1.7.1 RA 

I must be something in you setup or the Shield. Try deleting you scummvm.ini in RetroArch/system

I was repeatedly trying King's Quest III (kq3) and it no longer works for me with RA 1.7.2 (it worked with RA 1.7.1).  I tried Space Quest I, Goldrush, Police Quest I, they all worked.  No idea what has suddenly happened to this one game.  Tried deleting the scummvm.ini, no luck.  Very strange.  Oh well, RetroArch's input fork breaks keyboard control for most of these games anyway so the standalone ScummVM app it is for now.

For future reference to avoid any retroarch headaches, I recommend to switching almost all directories to an area of the shield to u have access to...that includes overlays, saves, config,info file, controller remaps,....the only things that should stay default are the cores location and maybe the shaders location....reason behind it is u can manually edit any configs or manually add overlays per game via a batch or import ur own core info files if custom...if u chose to delete retroarch and start from scratch at least u have everything saved on hand and all u will need to do is downlaod a different version of retroarch and go back to directories and map them again to the custom locations

Archived