Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Windows 10 - How Do I Boot Straight to HyperSpin?

SkyHighGam3r

Well guys, it's been a LONG time coming, but I'm finally at the point in my build that I am actually able to PLAY my system, instead of just constantly tinkering with it over and over. I have seen a lot about using Windows XP or 7 to 'shell' the OS, but I'm not sure that's the desired effect I want.

Here is what I envision, ideally, but I don't know what is actually possible:

1.) Push Power Button.
2.) BIOS screen is replaced with custom logo.
3.) The windows OS logo while loading is replaced with a custom animation/video
4.) Login screen is completely skipped
5.) Boots right into Hyperspin without seeing the desktop.

I realize I'll probably have to some compromise here, but it is what it is.

What do you guys think? I've never done anything even remotely like this, but I know some arcade builds I have seen boot straight to the program in one fashion or another.

Well that's 2 bad about #2 'cause my BIOS screen is Uhg-Lee lol. I do have Windows 10 Home, so the group policy is out I guess.

Anyway, with setting HS as the shell, can I still Alt+Tab out of it if I need to tinker with something? Or say, At+F4 HS alltogether and just go about regular computer business like go online or using photoshop?

Do you know of any tutorials for doing this with Windows 10?

Another option I just thought of too:

Pushing the power button while it's on and sending the system into Hibernate.
Pushing the power button while it's off and bringing it up from Hibernate, but having it reboot Hyperspin.

That way it'd be like every time you 'turn it on' you see the HS intro .

If you have the pro version of Windows 10 you can do this with group policy.

Open the group policy editor and find the Custom UI policy.  Enable it and set the path to your hyperspin.exe file.  When you reboot hyperspin.exe will launch instead of explorer.exe.

If you also use netplwiz in Windows you can also enable auto login, so you don't have to type a password to login to Windows.

Open the group policy editor and find the Custom UI policy.  Enable it and set the path to your hyperspin.exe file.  When you reboot hyperspin.exe will launch instead of explorer.exe.

If you also use netplwiz in Windows you can also enable auto login, so you don't have to type a password to login to Windows.

I'm 90% sure that I have Windows 10 Home.

I'm 90% sure that I have Windows 10 Home.

I'd consider upgrading to pro if you can.  Windows 10 is a free upgrade, so if you can find a Win 7 or 8 pro key you can use that for pro WIn10.

Check in control panel, system for version.

So I do have Windows 10 Home.

I was able to use "netplwiz" to enable auto-login, so that's a start.

I'm not sure what to do next. I don't have Group Policy Editor on my system (as it's not pro).

Try instant sheller.

Try instant sheller.

If I were to "shell" the OS, would I still be able to close HS down and use Windows Functions like a regular PC?

This is my primary computer after all, I just spend 95% of my time with it playing/configuring HS. So I'd like it to at least look like that is it's primary function.

If I were to "shell" the OS, would I still be able to close HS down and use Windows Functions like a regular PC?

This is my primary computer after all, I just spend 95% of my time with it playing/configuring HS. So I'd like it to at least look like that is it's primary function.

Yeah, a lot of shell programs like this give you a way back to the desktop.

So I do have Windows 10 Home.

I was able to use "netplwiz" to enable auto-login, so that's a start.

I'm not sure what to do next. I don't have Group Policy Editor on my system (as it's not pro).

I boot stright into HS, but just using Win 10 Home as it is.

I just disabled the login screen, changed my Avatar to be the same Pac-Man I have on the marquee, changed the boot color and desktop background to match the cab/marquee, hide the taskbar etc...

So when I turn it on it shows red like the cab with matching pac-man, then my marquee on screen, then launches HS. Pretty seemless and didn't need to risk shelling.

The only thing that still looks windows is occasionally a window icon appears on a black screen before the red Pac-Man screen kicks in (but its just the new-school logo, no text so no big deal) 

I boot stright into HS, but just using Win 10 Home as it is.

I just disabled the login screen, changed my Avatar to be the same Pac-Man I have on the marquee, changed the boot color and desktop background to match the cab/marquee, hide the taskbar etc...

So when I turn it on it shows red like the cab with matching pac-man, then my marquee on screen, then launches HS. Pretty seemless and didn't need to risk shelling.

The only thing that still looks windows is occasionally a window icon appears on a black screen before the red Pac-Man screen kicks in (but its just the new-school logo, no text so no big deal) 

This sounds like a really easy route to go! Might be perfect for my uses too. If nothing else something I could try before going the shelled route.

I just have a few questions:

How did you disable the login screen? I managed to make it auto-sign in, but that's it.

What do you mean "boot color"? Given that I'm doing a console, I'd probably just set this to black to match a TV.

Once that's taken care of how do you boot straight to HS?

I'll also need Xpadder to start on boot as well, I'm hoping that's a similar process.

Maybe it was auto-sign in. It keeps the text box from showing up and just shows your avatar in the circle. You pick your windows color in the normal windows personalization options, black isn't available though (dark Grey is as close as you can get). To launch something at startup you just right click it (Hyperspin. Exe) click "create shortcut" then drop it in the Windows Startup folder.

Right now I launch Hyperspin with a 60 second delay so Steam, the volume adjuster etc... . Can all finish loading without fighting HS for focus.

Sent from my SM-G935V

I also use windows 10 and I use the same method as Metalzoic. Very easy to setup and it's pretty seamless. I didn't do anything to fancy I just disabled the login screen and made a shortcut to hyperspin and dropped it in the startup folder works like a charm. You can set it up for all users or just 1 user

1 user
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

all users
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Just change username to your computers user name

I also use windows 10 and I use the same method as Metalzoic. Very easy to setup and it's pretty seamless. I didn't do anything to fancy I just disabled the login screen and made a shortcut to hyperspin and dropped it in the startup folder works like a charm. You can set it up for all users or just 1 user

1 user

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

all users

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Just change username to your computers user name

Did you fully disable it, or just auto-sign in?

I remember on older versions of windows, if you didn't set up multiple accounts, it wouldn't even pull a login screen up what-so-ever. Just straight from "Loading Windows" to the desktop.

If it's possible I'd like to make it go away forever anyway lol I hate having to enter a password on my own personal computer.

Dang lol

K, well either way you guys have given me some nifty stuff to try tonight. I'm gonna try to set it up when I get home and post my results.

I know I always say "I'll do that tonight" and then never do lol, but I have ADHD and tinkering with HyperSpin is like crack for that, so forgive me XD.

It's cool I tinker with mine everyday too.

That sounded a little dirt lol.

You know what I mean.

Dang lol

K, well either way you guys have given me some nifty stuff to try tonight. I'm gonna try to set it up when I get home and post my results.

I know I always say "I'll do that tonight" and then never do lol, but I have ADHD and tinkering with HyperSpin is like crack for that, so forgive me XD.

So I turned the background back, set taskbar to auto-hide, and removed all my desktop options, and set the login screen to match color. That all worked well.

I put my Hyperspin and Xpadder shortcuts in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp" ... But nothing.
I double-clicked the shortcuts to make sure they work, and they do... so I don't know what I did wrong.

• 8 months later...
On 4/13/2016 at 11:23 AM, tonesmalone said:

I can't figure this out. Is there a step by step on how to do this? I can'y find the Custom UI policy!

• 6 months later...

Might be able to help here...

First you need to open your Group Policy Editor

1.png.97d864e15b6071e0741d2e82166380be.png

Then you need to find "Custom User Interface" in User Configuration -> All Settings.

2.png.2587087ad1469458fddca25a28e4e73c.png

Double click on the option to change the default load "Shell" from explorer.exe to hyperspin.exe. (Be sure to set the full path to your Front End)

3.png.9d391b61bd80af00f06013377fb1be0b.png

Warning: This will disable the start Menu from showing and the desktop environment I am pretty sure. You will need to Win+R and launch Explorer to get it back.

Apply and you should be done, however you can also find ways to skip login screens etc and customize wallpaper if you haven't done so already.

Restart and bingo.

Archived