Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

46" / 30" / 19" widebody cabinet

chriz99

key3.png

Hey Guys!

Inspired by this great forum, I am planning to build a nearly "bezel-less" fullscreen cabinet with a 46" lcd playfield, 30" lcd backbox and 19" lcd dmd monitor. I will revive an empty star trek:tng widebody cabinet for this project which I got for a few bucks.

mheadk.gif...check out my newlogobcmini.png pinball project!

- cabinet

• empty star trek tng (sttng) widebody cabinet
  • new legs
  • new widebody lockbar
  • new "old" williams siderails
  • black painted coindoor (illuminated)
  • wired and fully functional coin acceptors (gives real arcade feeling when you hear the coin drop)
  • original pinball service buttons
  • new playfield and backbox glass
  • blank williams speakerpanel / grill

- screens

(if you need high-res backglass pics (2560res, 6mb each) for your cabinet check out my other thread at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8860)

• 46" playfield lcd sharp fullhd 1080p 1920x1080 screen (sharp LC46D65 - almost no inputlag/delay (< 10ms), awesome viewing angles, auto power on)
  • 30" backglass lcd hdready 720p 1280x768 screen with DVI (noname tv brand, medion)
  • 19" scoreboard / multicolor dmd lcd screen with DVI (benq tft pc monitor)

- pc-setup

(check out our "How to get the best performance for your cab thread" at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8595 and "fps comparision thread" at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12846)

• optimized win XP SP3 - 32bit (check vpin performance thread above)
  • intel quad core i5-750 overclocked to 4x 4.0ghz
  • msi P55-GD65 mainboard (easy overclocking, very stable)
  • 2x2GB RAM DDR3 1600 (8-8-8 timing)
  • 2x nvidia GTX260 1792MB GPU (1x for playfield and dmd / 1x for backglass, overclocked to GTX280+)
  • 32GB SSD (nudging approved. os booting / table loading / hyperpin browsing. just awesome!)
  • soundblaster x-fi music soundcard (model SB0460. creative crystalizer. great enhancement for pinball sound plus more cpu power left)
  • 2.1 teufel concept c100 quality soundsystem with huge tower-subwoofer (better sound than a real pinball machine, amazing bass effect)
  • 550W 80+ arctic psu / 86% efficiency (pc power consumption is averagely about 350watt)

- additional details

(for ledwiz wiring diagrams, electronic tutorials and more visit maxxsinner's "pinball electrical 101" at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12459)

• ledwiz usb board for rom controlled pinball output. virtual pinball is coming more real as you can imagine! check out http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10980 for software and tutorial. you can drive rgb flipperbuttons, blinky start-, launchball-, extraball-buttons. extra force-feedback for flippers, bumpers, slingshots, replay-knocker and game specific events. pinball shaker motor, gear motor, real flasher/strobes, topperlights... all rom controlled (via original pinball rom)
    • extra 150W 12VDC 12.5A power supply for all ledwiz toys (meanwell SNT MW150-12)
    • 8 siemens 12VDC contactors (inside solenoid/coil) for flipper, slingshot, bumper... force feedback - to hear and feel the mechanical pinball action on your virtual machine.
    • 5 cree mc-e RGBW high power LEDS on top of the backbox, covered with transparent original pinball flasher domes to emulate every pinball flasher color/position of each pinball machine. they are so bright that it reflects to the whole room and the playfield glass.
    • 1 shaker vibration motor for all original shaker pinball tables (like godzilla, harley davidson, last action hero, jurassic park, tales from the crypt, wwf royal rumble, apollo 13, corvette, roadshow, earthshaker, elvis, spider man, indiana jones stern, batman dark knight, csi, 24, lord of the rings, nba, big buck hunter pro, iron man, avatar, rolling stones...) and for special custom mods (medieval madness troll hit, castle destruction, sttng/t2 cannon shot, cactus canyon bandit hit, funhouse rudy hit...) which are not available on the real pinball machine!
    • 1 dualbridge pwm driver to change the intensity (0-100%) of the shaker, for awesome custom mods.
    • 1 car wiper gear motor to emulate the typical pinball gear sound (funhouse rudy's mouth motor, medieval madness drawbridge, addams family bookshelf,sttng/t2 cannons, indiana jones path of adventure...)
    • 1 big analog 1500W stroboscope for special events (attack from mars strobe multiball, theatre of magic captive ball hit, medieval madness castle...)
    • 4 LED strips on the bottom side/underside of the cabinet, wired parallel to the shaker (cool takeoff effect :D )
    • 1 pinball replay knocker for the original replay "knock"!
    • 4 RGB LED illuminated transparent pinball buttons to match the button color of each dedicated pinball with original leaf-switches (= no lag/delay. no microswitches) for the right feeling (2 for flippers and 2 extra buttons, like magna-save/extra function for black knight, black knight 2000, grand lizzard, haunted house, jhonny menmonic, judge dredd, jungle lord, medusa, pharaoh, shadow, solarfire, starship troopers, strange science, world cup soccer...)
    • 6 LED illuminated "arcade-like countersinked" frontbuttons with plotted inlays: start, exit, extraball, launchball, howtoplay, pause (rom controlled blinky start-, extra-, launchball buttons...)

• 2 original pinball tilt-bobs for nudge-left and nudge-right and 1 mercury-switch for front/top-nudging
  • original star trek tng plunger gun (sensitive ball shooting / skillshot also possible)
  • ipac/interfasd buttoninterface (ps2 keyboard connection = no lag/delay, no gamepad emulation)
  • 3x 22cm fans for cab ventilation. silent & powerfull 600rpm, 161.61m³/h (2x cabinet / 1x backbox)

- faq

- videos

• check out my youtube channel for all videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/getmoresun#p/u.
  • Here is a first digital camera video of the machine. the quality isnt the best (switch to "360p -> 480p" @ youtube for a better quality)
    F_ILihnUCMc&hl
  • First test with rom controlled outputs via Ledwiz
    3 rgbw topper flasher, 8 force feedback solenoids/contactors for flippers, slingshots, bumpers, outholes, kickers, autoplunger, diverter and additional special effects, 1 pinball shaker motor, 1 original replay knocker, 1 gear motor, rgb button leds for the right button color... The 3 topper lights are mainly for pinball flasher. Every pinball has flasher, so you can emulate each color and position. They are so bright that it reflect to the playfield glass and to the whole room. Amazing effect - you have to see this in real! All these toys adds so much fun to gameplay! I think this was the missing part of visual pinball. Thanks again to manofwar!
    ElS7v5Kq2zc
  • check out my new big old beast stroboscope at the end of this video (up to 15000lumen per flash) :D
    3844JcOK-gk
  • Another Vid of Lord Hiryus fantastic Indiana Jones Table
    kaeWTNyN3Gs
  • Here is a video of the virtual flipper sound and force feedback (siemens contactor + 2.1 subwoofer system) vs. a real medieval madness flipper. I think the virtualmachine sounds better ;)
    _wTm5ECX10E
  • Fine adjusted my 2 tilt-bobs, works very well now. check out the smooth nudging... you can nudge left and right separately. Here is a youtube-vid for you:
    CBa_uX69hTQ

- trackback

- pics

P1030132%20%28Large%29.JPGP1020961%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030007%20%28Large%29.JPGP1020925%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030352%20%28Large%29%20%282%29.JPGP1030137%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030949%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030933%20%28Large%29.JPG

sttng.png.jpg

P1030400%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030382%20%28Large%29.JPG

4col.jpg

hp.png.jpg

2011-01-12%2016h52_31.png.jpg

refl.png.jpg

- some pics during construction

P1010867%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010882%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010891%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010896%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010897%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010880%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010870%20%28Large%29.JPGP1010871%20%28Large%29.JPG100_8613.jpgP1010886%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1020677%20%28Large%29.JPGP1020343%20%28Large%29.JPG

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice to see your using a sharp panel!

i tryed with a sharp pn46 commercial panel at 120 hz was very very nice but a bit to wide for my taste. anyway you can be comfortable that you have a quality piece of equiptment in 5 years we have not had a sharp fail in the field. over 400 sold no other brand can boast those stats.

if anybody is interested take a look at NEC information display panels they have a 5mm bezel out of the box so no need to pull apart the unit and void warranty also has full rs232 controls and a temperature sensing fan system.

can't wait to see this finished

thanks guys,

the empty sttng cabinet comes from a commercial amusement dealer. he parted the sttng due to spareparts :(

i will place the 46" lcd on the cabinets rails, so the screen fits exactly to the cab.

greets

chris

nice to see your using a sharp panel!

i tryed with a sharp pn46 commercial panel at 120 hz was very very nice but a bit to wide for my taste. anyway you can be comfortable that you have a quality piece of equiptment in 5 years we have not had a sharp fail in the field. over 400 sold no other brand can boast those stats.[/Quote]

This screen costs 5-times as much as the Sharp (which was on sale at Amazon).

if anybody is interested take a look at NEC information display panels they have a 5mm bezel out of the box so no need to pull apart the unit and void warranty also has full rs232 controls and a temperature sensing fan system.

can't wait to see this finished

Afaik these are 1366*768 resolution. A No Go.

This screen costs 5-times as much as the Sharp (which was on sale at Amazon).

Afaik these are 1366*768 resolution. A No Go.

they used to be 1366*768 now 1080p as from june this year.

Amazon is not the place to get these screens better to go into your local retailer who sells nec and talk to them they are a commercial screen not usually sold for domestic use

i can buy 46" for $3,100 australian so they are not that bad of a price they will last allot longer than a normal domestic lcd so i think they are worth it.

it was only a sugestion.....

i think it's the LCD4615 but i'm not sure i can find out on monday at work if i remember one problem with these is they are steel chasis and have a bit of weight.

but i would still say that the sharp is a better panel there power supply's and backlighting systems are the best i have seen in any lcd.

hi guys,

i've got 22cm (8.5") acasa supersilent fans for cab-ventilation:

P1010903%20%28Large%29.JPG

i am planning to install 3 fans, hope this will be enough...

image-15%5B1%5D.jpg

to protect the screen (nudging, glass) i will make a test with this adhesive foam stripes. there will be no visible metalframe due to the foam-stripe, too

P1010905%20%28Large%29.JPG

greets

chris

I used foam strips on my cab. I sandwiched the glass between thick foam tape attached to the wood frame, and thinner foam tape on the inside of my edging. I think it worked out pretty nice.

If you are going to put the tape directly on the tv bezel, and then put the glass directly onto that, you are going to seal the heat from the screen inside there. I have a good 1" gap between my TV and the glass, and it gets pretty warm if I leave it turned on.

hi rawd,

thank you for this information. i will double the thickness of the foam-stripe (only left / right side of the bezel) to prevent heat accumulation.

did you protect the screen itself, too? (nudging)

greets

chris

MORE details please!!!! I'm currently setting up a very similar system and have been looking for someone that had the same idea. I'll be using a little smaller playfield at 42, but....

My first remedial question is WHERE did you find Fullscreen versions of Medieval Madness? I've looked everywhere and all I can find is 4:3 tables from VP9 and the like. VP.org doesn't have FS or 16-9 tables for it. Please enlighten me!!!

MORE details please!!!! I'm currently setting up a very similar system and have been looking for someone that had the same idea. I'll be using a little smaller playfield at 42, but....

My first remedial question is WHERE did you find Fullscreen versions of Medieval Madness? I've looked everywhere and all I can find is 4:3 tables from VP9 and the like. VP.org doesn't have FS or 16-9 tables for it. Please enlighten me!!!

Hey man. MM is here:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3422

Archived