Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Shield TV: Controls adjustment in Retroarch

Willem35m

Hi all,

I started working on Hyperspin on my Nvidia Shield Tv last weekend. Using some of the guides and topics here, I managed to get most of it working. I.e, finding roms, launching roms, adjusting settings in seperate Retroarch config file for Hyperspin, etc.

However, I am running into an issue with my Nvidia Shield TV controller in Retroarch. All the buttons get assigned automatically, however, some are not to my preference. For example, the SNES controller has the Y en B assigned to A and X, which I would like to turn around. Or on the NES, it uses A and B on the shield controller for the NES B and A. I would like to use X and A as B and A.

However, when trying to change these settings in Retroarch, it completely messes up UI Controls. I can't change anything anymore after I have changed the buttons, because Enter and Escape don't work anymore. Even when connecting a keyboard and mouse to the Shield, I can't control Retroarch with the Enter button anymore either. It's so hoepels I had to uninstall and reinstall Retroarch twice now. In the last attent, it messes up again, so I can try to set everything up again for a third time. Really annoying.

Is there a fix for this?? Anyone succeeded in changing their Shield controller buttons in Retroarch?

I have no phone line ATM and only 1 bar of 3G so bare with! That's really annoying!!

Input binds are a pain I got fed up trying to use them. As soon as you change B to A you can't select anything again!!

The easiest fix I have used to swap select and back (A&B) in the menus is to change the Nvidia shield game pad.cfg in the autoconfig folder. Keyboard autoconfigs are ther too.

Edit: there is a better solution at the bottom of this thread

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/25839-retroarch-controls/#entry233590

Swap the values for menu_ok_btn & menu_cancel_btn. In the retroarch.cfg file

This will change the menu buttons and won't affect how each core/games are auto configured by retroarch.

If you don't have it

Create a folder called autoconfig somewhere you can access (I have created a full set of folders in android/con.retroarch/files. To match all the folders listed under retroarch settings/directory. Except cores and core info as those shouldn't change) it's well worth creating a folder for configs also. This is where all the per core configs and overrides are loaded from, really helpful so you can just delete that core config if you mess up instead of uninstalling.

1.Open a game in hyper

2.Go into retroarch menu

3.Close content so it's no core

4.Change all your directories to the created folders

5.Then go to online updater

6.Update assets/autoconfig etc

7.Make sure save on exit is on

8.Then exit retroarch

(You can do the same thing in the actual retroarch app so both RA and hyper RA will work from the same set of files except the retroarch.cfg in hyperspin will always need to be setup through hyperspin)

9.Open the shield game pad.cfg and edit buttons A & B around (swap input 96&97)

That solved the default menus for me

Now inputs within cores is another pain

Quickest way is to

1.load content

2. Open menu

3. Under quick menu go to core input options

4. Scroll down to user 1 b etc

5. Use left and right to assign the correct button

6. Save core or game remap

7. Make sure load remarks is on under settings/configuration

These remaps will be saved to the directory you have setup should be com.retroarch/files/configs/remaps

They will then load automatically

When I get my fibre line back in going to right this up and sort a download out for the folder structure and autoconfig file (will be on my website at some point maybe a week or so)

However, I am running into an issue with my Nvidia Shield TV controller in Retroarch. All the buttons get assigned automatically, however, some are not to my preference. For example, the SNES controller has the Y en B assigned to A and X, which I would like to turn around. Or on the NES, it uses A and B on the shield controller for the NES B and A. I would like to use X and A as B and A.

However, when trying to change these settings in Retroarch, it completely messes up UI Controls. I can't change anything anymore after I have changed the buttons, because Enter and Escape don't work anymore. Even when connecting a keyboard and mouse to the Shield, I can't control Retroarch with the Enter button anymore either. It's so hoepels I had to uninstall and reinstall Retroarch twice now. In the last attent, it messes up again, so I can try to set everything up again for a third time. Really annoying.

I was curious about this so tested it myself last night.   I downloaded the latest Retroarch nightly (check out the new XMB menu driver if you haven't seen it yet) and using settings -> input -> input user 1 binds, was able to create a new autoconfig profile for my undetected (and therefore non-working) controller using a usb keyboard.    Detection of the keyboard took some fiddling (not sure why) but cursor keys and enter allowed me to start the 'process.

So it's definitely 'doable' on Shield ATV.   A keyboard allowed me to create a new autoconfig and rebind all my buttons (including swap of a/b).

Thank thatman84 for your miniguide :)

I did what you said, created a new folder structure on my external harddrive and moved all the directories there.

Didn't go exactly as planned afterwards.

On my first attempt, I followed your step 6 and downloaded all the updates. Afterwards, I found out it didn't save anything to my new folders, so I figured I should save the new config first and then update. Also, it went wrong during the update proces. When I clicked 'Update Autoconfig Profiles', it did something to my controller driver and I couldn't do anything anymore. Neither could a keyboard, so exit and try again.

Second attempt, change all directories first and then save. Then however, I get the massage, failed to save to my external drive. What was also interesting that it was trying to save it as a nestopia config, even though I had turned off the core when entering Retroarch from Hyperspin.

Exited anyway, tried launching again. Boom, controls no longer working. Message: could not configure gamepad. keyboard not working either. Probably have to uninstall again.

Controls not working anymore is probably because I couldn't save the settings file, which is probably because of the external drive error I have been Reading about that occured since the 3.0 update. Which means I probably can't save, unless I go throughout the whole Shield root procedure, something I am not quite comfortable with (I never worked with Android before I got my Shield this month)

Starting to get pretty annoyed by this. I appreciate the effort all the developers have put in this software, but unfortunately it all feels quite unstable and buggy to me. I mean, all I am trying to do is change a button.... Which has already costed me hours. As I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I think I might wait until they resolve some of the Shield / Retroarch issues before I'll try again.

Thank thatman84 for your miniguide :)

I did what you said, created a new folder structure on my external harddrive and moved all the directories there.

Didn't go exactly as planned afterwards.

On my first attempt, I followed your step 6 and downloaded all the updates. Afterwards, I found out it didn't save anything to my new folders, so I figured I should save the new config first and then update. Also, it went wrong during the update proces. When I clicked 'Update Autoconfig Profiles', it did something to my controller driver and I couldn't do anything anymore. Neither could a keyboard, so exit and try again.

Second attempt, change all directories first and then save. Then however, I get the massage, failed to save to my external drive. What was also interesting that it was trying to save it as a nestopia config, even though I had turned off the core when entering Retroarch from Hyperspin.

Exited anyway, tried launching again. Boom, controls no longer working. Message: could not configure gamepad. keyboard not working either. Probably have to uninstall again.

Controls not working anymore is probably because I couldn't save the settings file, which is probably because of the external drive error I have been Reading about that occured since the 3.0 update. Which means I probably can't save, unless I go throughout the whole Shield root procedure, something I am not quite comfortable with (I never worked with Android before I got my Shield this month)

Starting to get pretty annoyed by this. I appreciate the effort all the developers have put in this software, but unfortunately it all feels quite unstable and buggy to me. I mean, all I am trying to do is change a button.... Which has already costed me hours. As I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I think I might wait until they resolve some of the Shield / Retroarch issues before I'll try again.

Shame this didn't work for you, if you do give it another go do the same thing just with retroarch app first instead of through hyperspin.

Then just change the directories in the hyperspin launched config.

Once you have the directories and inputs sorted it's plain sailing!!!

I have everything on internal storage so don't have the issue about saving. No need to try and save it if save on exit is on. Just exit by quit retroarch option.

Although the basic retroarch settup is only 300mb I just keep everything in the android/data/com.retroarch/files folder

@thatman84 Thank you for taking the time to write out all the steps you took. +1 for contributing your files.

Cool, how do you have yours setup?

Not sure how or where to add them to hyperspin downloads section, If anyone knows hola. If not I'll stick them on my site over the weekend but I have my daughter and a shed to build :)

I flipped the enter & back button from the main menu, but the change was universal so I had to go into every core individualy and change them back. I recently did a full wipe, and haven't bothered getting everything set back up again.

Enjoy building that shed with your daughter. I'm going on a safari with my daughter this weekend..........to look for dinosaurs................. in our backyard :-)

Shame this didn't work for you, if you do give it another go do the same thing just with retroarch app first instead of through hyperspin.

Then just change the directories in the hyperspin launched config.

Once you have the directories and inputs sorted it's plain sailing!!!

I have everything on internal storage so don't have the issue about saving. No need to try and save it if save on exit is on. Just exit by quit retroarch option.

Although the basic retroarch settup is only 300mb I just keep everything in the android/data/com.retroarch/files folder

I gave it another go today Thatman. However, looking at the data folder on the internal storage, where the RA config files are stored, I can't access that folder. Please notice that I don't have root access. Is there another folder I can use on the internal storage, without having root access?

the folder download can be found here

I dont have root access

This is all done for normal retroarch FIRST. Once that is setup you can change the Hyperspin launched Retroarch to line up.

have a look at my guides to help (emulationguide.com)

I use ES File Explorer and if you go to the HOME tab under Local then

Android/data/com.retroarch/files you should see a couple of folders and your retroarch.cfg

(you should end up at the same folder if you go through sdcard or mnt folders in your shields directories)

copy in any folder from my download that is not already there

Im writing the guide for my site now so you can follow that when its up.

Let me know how you get on its good to get feedback

Archived