Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Recently finished 80's space-themed arcade with LCD marquee

scoodidabop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a beautiful build. I love the ground effects and the marquee.

How much of a nightmare is it to set up a marquee like that and how much art is actually already available for MAME and the other arcade systems (Taito Type x, Naomi, Atomiswave etc...)?

Thanks for the positive feedback bros!

Amazing! where did you get your arcade classics main theme from? I love it.

I made it. I added it to the downloads section ;)

This is a beautiful build. I love the ground effects and the marquee.
How much of a nightmare is it to set up a marquee like that and how much art is actually already available for MAME and the other arcade systems (Taito Type x, Naomi, Atomiswave etc...)?

The ground effects are fun.  They just randomly flash with the rest of the buttons on idle but in Future Pinball I have them set to audio react.

Setting up hypermarquee isn't so bad once you get the hang of the flow.  As for the art - as you probably know there's a huge initiative underway here on the forums to redraw hundreds and hundreds of marquee graphics in hi def.  Since that's not ready I grabbed the Progretto Snaps for now:  http://www.progettosnaps.net/marquees/

Progretto has many Naomi, Atomiswave and Sega Model 2/3 included as well.  For everything that doesn't have a specific marquee I setup Hypermarquee to use the wheel art for that game, which actually looks pretty great!  You can also tell Hypermarquee to use the default theme for that game if the resolution of the wheel art is too low. You set the resolution threshold manually so there's some control over what winds up on the marquee.  Ultimately I think I'll jazz up the home console selection in Hypermarquee for my next build but overall this came out pretty cool.

Cool thanks. Doesn't sound bad if you can have defaults to avoid blanks. Any tips on good places to check for marquee sized screens or what to search for?

Now I'm curious if they make one that will fit my cab.

Looks like they're just called ultrawide monitors?

Here's the LCD seller, Vitrolight:  http://www.ebay.com/usr/vitrolight?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They have 32" 1/2 listed but my cabinet uses their unlisted 32" 1/3, which is shorter vertically.  It's a perfect fit.  They have many sizes to choose from.  The LCD acts like a screen that was literally chopped into a third of it's original size which means the on screen menu (adjusting contrast, color, brightness etc) is cut off.  You'll have rotate the menu left and right to see all the options, then adjust them from there. In other words the LCD thinks it's still 720 pixels vertically Kinda shitty, but it's workable.  Plus with Hypermarquee (a godsend!) you can manually adjust the marquee display window to fit the odd little bastard.

Using Hypermarquee you can set the graphics to stretch/fill etc to fill the entire marquee LCD.  Worked like a charm despite some of the graphics getting a little fat on the wide stretch.  Can't win them all!

Great job man! Did you use themes at 16:9 or at 4:3? Because they look good =)

These are 4:3 I believe but since the monitor is a taller 16:10 the stretch isn't too noticeable! 

EDIT:  By the way I asked vitrolight about a discount since their LCDs are so pricey - they said at qty 10 or more we can get only a 10% discount.  Not great :/   

• 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, fwiler said:

I wonder if there is a diy way to make an  LCD marquee.  They obviously are using full size panels and cutting them down.

Just don't know what that would entail.

Follow the advice of Leatherface and his LCD cutting tool of choice.

3016628-poster-p-1-leatherface-speaks-chainsaw-massacre-star-revisits-sweltering-house-of-horror_0.jpg

Disclaimer: HyperSpin staff do not recommend using a chainsaw for cutting down your new 55" OLED TV. 

5 hours ago, gigapig said:

Follow the advice of Leatherface and his LCD cutting tool of choice.

Disclaimer: HyperSpin staff do not recommend using a chainsaw for cutting down your new 55" OLED TV. 

Hilarious, but I think he might do a better job than I could :)

I'm not sure if they slice down bigger panels or make the smaller ones as a special size in the factory.  Don't the edges need some kind of terminating path?  I'm rusty on my LCD science.  

Anyway I have a broken panel that's been removed from the frame.  I'll take a pic of it for you guys so you can see how it's made.

12 hours ago, scoodidabop said:

I'm not sure if they slice down bigger panels or make the smaller ones as a special size in the factory.  Don't the edges need some kind of terminating path?  I'm rusty on my LCD science.  

Anyway I have a broken panel that's been removed from the frame.  I'll take a pic of it for you guys so you can see how it's made.

Yeah they are specially made and that's what makes them probably more expensive. You can't just go down to your garage, grab a hacksaw and start sawing away at it.

Archived