Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Recently finished 80's space-themed arcade with LCD marquee

scoodidabop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, gigapig said:

What do you actually search for when looking for one of those? Is it a certain size?

I got lucky that one of Vitrolight's panels fit my cabinet design perfectly.  The have many sizes to choose from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-32Inch-1-2-Stretched-Bar-LCD-display-digital-advertising-screen-/291698159083?hash=item43ea90adeb

Start there and email them.  They have other sizes that aren't on their ebay page.  Plus you'll get a slight discount for buying direct.  Be patient though - their customer service reps have somewhat broken english so communication can be a little tough.

Here's the LCD itself.

IMAG4588.jpg

Top signal board and ribbon cable.  Pretty standard stuff...

IMAG4585.jpg

Now the area of interest: The bottom line where the LCD has been cut back...

IMAG4584.jpg

Then there's the backlight assembly and frame.  Containing a full 8 to 10 layers of different diffusion materials, all cut to fit into the custom frame.  I'll get a pic of that if you guys want to see it.  So, yeah these things are made with precision.  Probably just in very small runs, which is why they're so expensive.  I don't see a DIY solution being possible but it if you have a chainsaw I'd love to see you try it!  

As an alternate LG makes an "ultra wide" that's about 28" x 13".  It's pretty tall but might work in a Capcom "Big Blue" style cabinet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122101593219?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Unfortunately if I modified my cabinet design to fit that 13" tall LG it would look very top-heavy and unbalanced (see below).  Maybe I should go back to the drawing board and figure out a design that fits the LG because I'd love to put an LCD marquee in every cabinet I do but they're just too cost-prohibitive for most builds:

BLACKOUT_TALL_MARQUEE_ModdedBlankSideTemplate.jpg

Well I went for a quick stab at it and I'm thinking this might not be such a bad idea...  I'll have to make all new templates and such but this design will allow more space for sideart (sideart - yeah!) and allow for the LG panel which is around $200 instead of $600+

29" deep on the cabinet (as shown below) 35" deep with the control panel included (not pictured).

Well... I don't know.  Now I'm looking at the skinny one above and thinking it might not look all that top-heavy after all.  IDK... :/

BLACKOUT_TALL_MARQUEE_ModdedBlankSideTemplate.jpg

That LG Lcd intrigues me at that price point. My existing cabinet marquee is 10 inches. I would consider rebuilding / retrofitting it to fit the LG model. I don't think it looks too top heavy and the cool factor of the marquee is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, I really like the black buttons with RGB glowing around them, wish I had thought of it.

I'm also looking for a good LCD marquee. Samsung now has 32:9 stretched screens, but I haven't found a price or distributor yet. I'll contact Samsung to get more info.

Models I'm looking at are:

LSI370LN01, 35.8" x 10.5" or

LSI290LN01, 28.2" x 8.3"

I'm not sure if the "0" is "O" or reverse.  These are open cell displays.  If you want the cased version, replace the "I" with "T".

If anyone else has info on these or similar displays, please let me know.  I imagine the native LCDs will be cheaper than a cut one.  I had been looking at 16:3 BAR style screens, but they are crazy expensive.

Yeah, I'm trying to get more info.  I emailed Samsung, so will see what they say.  I think I saw that the 37 came out sometime in 2016, and I saw a "coming soon" label for the 29.

If they're reasonably priced, I will want one, and would be willing to go in on a group purchase.

I spoke with Samsung's rep for the Americas today.  He was helpful, but so far those displays are for wholesale only.  He said they could sell us a pallet, but would not break one apart, so that would mean (40) units.  Definitely do not need that many!

I asked if there were other options, and he said he'd check it out and email me.  Didn't seem too optimistic about it, though.  I really do not want to redesign my cab and have a huge 13" tall LG.  I would bezel out a bit so the display would be more properly proportional with the main display, but it will still add 5-6" to the machine!

I'm still going to try to find another option, but may have to settle for the LG.  Someone told me to check electronic surplus dealers, but no luck yet.  Any ideas on where to even look for these things?  I got some quotes from companies that charge $2k for one!

On 3/17/2017 at 9:05 PM, devilFist said:

I spoke with Samsung's rep for the Americas today.  He was helpful, but so far those displays are for wholesale only.  He said they could sell us a pallet, but would not break one apart, so that would mean (40) units.  Definitely do not need that many!

I asked if there were other options, and he said he'd check it out and email me.  Didn't seem too optimistic about it, though.  I really do not want to redesign my cab and have a huge 13" tall LG.  I would bezel out a bit so the display would be more properly proportional with the main display, but it will still add 5-6" to the machine!

I'm still going to try to find another option, but may have to settle for the LG.  Someone told me to check electronic surplus dealers, but no luck yet.  Any ideas on where to even look for these things?  I got some quotes from companies that charge $2k for one!

Any indication on pricing for the 40 units? That qty is a possibility if we're going a group buy.  

The ones I bring in cost around $620 each with shipping.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:08 PM, detonate85 said:

incredible.

Thank you

On 8/31/2018 at 11:21 AM, psychopath said:

is it hard to configure LEDBlinky? 

No, it's pretty straightforward.  You set your inputs then point LEDBlinky to the MAME config that has all the presets.  As for anything non-MAME I set up custom colors for each system.

Archived