Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Vectrex overlays, bezels

badhemi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here, rename them to match your ROMs :) (.art and .png files)

thanks sting I think I got those but not sure how to setup. Do I use mess mame in retroarch and do the same as with the donkey Kong tutorial? Or can you use vectrex core and use as per game?

• 6 months later...

I downloaded Vectrex Screen Overlay Pack 20111127 from Emumovies. But can someone help me in setting up the overlays to work in rocket launcher I keep getting the default bezel that looks like a tv screen. My file names from the rom to the overlay are correct. I made a file in Rocketlauncher Media file called GCE Vectrex. and put them in that file I even moved the overlays to the DEFAULT folder with out successquestionmark.gif

Oh ok just read that RL post. Makes a little more sense now!

@propdept

you can activate the overlays in the retroarch menu. Depending on the version of RA you will need to have per game override config files or per game configs as I guess you will need different overlays per game. The other option could be to assign a hot key to overlay next function and build a config file similar to what I done in this thread https://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5654

then you can scroll through the overlays.

for normal use an overlay.png file will need a .cfg file named the same. Then it's just figuring out how to get retroarch to load the ones you want. 

Best to ask over there..

I am sorry for posting In the wrong forum but thank you for replying everyone!  I don't care if I can use rocket launcher  or Retro Arch to put the overlays in.   I just want it to work,  if I load in pole position up comes the overlay for Pole position , if I loading but Berzek then up comes the overlay for berserk and so on.....

If you do, let us know. I had a little look last night but I'm not using MAME so will have to convert all my roms first.

they can all be put in a Vectrex folder. In the Artwork folder unzipped. Then you need a lay file that states position and associates them all to the rim name

• 2 months later...

Figured out how to get the overlays working and how to make them stick individually for each game after exiting and reloading. I assume it's safe to post a link to the overlays I used so download that pack and place them somewhere of your choosing. At first I couldn't get them to work because I placed them in the retroarch Overlay folder in the data/data/com.retroarch/overlay folder thinking they needed to go there with the other preset overlays, I was wrong. In fact Retroarch won't even register the overlay files due to how it's all configured. The moment I put them somewhere else (my external harddrive) not only were Retroarch able to finally see the overlays but they all worked right off the bat without having to rename anything.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/Kpc09sgH/file.html

After unzipping that you'll notice files with .zip extensions, ignore those and go straight to the other folder, for some reason trying those .zip files didn't work but they came with the package when I got it so I just left them. Load up a game and then go to the overlay option (Settings>Onscreen Display>Onscreen Overlay) and turn Display Overlay on. I also recommend setting the overlay opacity to 0.50 and leave overlay scale on 1.00 then go into Overlay Preset and choose an overlay .cfg file to the game you just loaded. Go back in game to see if it loaded it up. If it worked go to Quick Menu>Save Game Overrides and then exit Retroarch right away through the menu itself and not any one button hot keys. Re enter Retroarch and check the game you first tested to see if it starts with the overlay intact, if it worked repeat everything you just did with all the other games

Extra tip. For a more authentic looking image use the shaders neon-variation-1 (in the neon folder) and motionblur-simple (in the motionblur folder). Afterwards go to quick menu>save core overrides and then exit Retroarch by the menu and the shaders should also stick as well. Hope this helps.  This was all tested on Retroarch 1.4.1 on my rooted Shield TV btw

2 hours ago, sonkun said:

Figured out how to get the overlays working and how to make them stick individually for each game after exiting and reloading. I assume it's safe to post a link to the overlays I used so download that pack and place them somewhere of your choosing. At first I couldn't get them to work because I placed them in the retroarch Overlay folder in the data/data/com.retroarch/overlay folder thinking they needed to go there with the other preset overlays, I was wrong. In fact Retroarch won't even register the overlay files due to how it's all configured. The moment I put them somewhere else (my external harddrive) not only were Retroarch able to finally see the overlays but they all worked right off the bat without having to rename anything.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/Kpc09sgH/file.html

After unzipping that you'll notice files with .zip extensions, ignore those and go straight to the other folder, for some reason trying those .zip files didn't work but they came with the package when I got it so I just left them. Load up a game and then go to the overlay option (Settings>Onscreen Display>Onscreen Overlay) and turn Display Overlay on. I also recommend setting the overlay opacity to 0.50 and leave overlay scale on 1.00 then go into Overlay Preset and choose an overlay .cfg file to the game you just loaded. Go back in game to see if it loaded it up. If it worked go to Quick Menu>Save Game Overrides and then exit Retroarch right away through the menu itself and not any one button hot keys. Re enter Retroarch and check the game you first tested to see if it starts with the overlay intact, if it worked repeat everything you just did with all the other games

Extra tip. For a more authentic looking image use the shaders neon-variation-1 (in the neon folder) and motionblur-simple (in the motionblur folder). Afterwards go to quick menu>save core overrides and then exit Retroarch by the menu and the shaders should also stick as well. Hope this helps.  This was all tested on Retroarch 1.4.1 on my rooted Shield TV btw

Nice job. This is vectrex core right?

4 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Weird I have been messing with this all night! 

Im trying to get a picture of the console to surround the screen and the overlay to cover the game screen. Can't get it to  work. Really annoying

i can do what you have done above though.

thanks for sharing 

You're welcome and glad you at least got the overlays to work. If you come across/have a picture of the console and wouldn't mind sharing it, I can try out a few things to see if I can get it to work as a background pic along with the overlays.

9 minutes ago, badhemi said:

Crashes when I load up overlay cfg. So you say load up game then go to overlay cfg and search for overlay then choose cfg overlay?

Try these is Vectrex core

Then need to do the rest. What overlay images did you get in the end.

You will need to play around with the overlay opacity so you can see the game behind properlyberzerk.pngberzerk.cfg

Archived