Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Best games of all time wheel

ninja2bceen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I’ve removed the original spreadsheet because it was very outdated. Since the time I’ve posted it I’ve added a lot of new top lists to it. Also I have expanded this little project tremendously and the focus moved on to a giant undertaking, namely to compile the definitive “Top 100 notable games of every year”. I’m working on and off on it for over a year now, compiling all kinds of various lists from a lot of different sources and it’s nowhere to be finished even if it currently contains data of 200 to 300 different lists and over 5000 different games.

I can create an updated version of my “Best Games of All-Time” list if you want but it’s gonna take a few days.

That sounds very promising !

I was using your file for a very specific use case : which systems should I setup in HyperSpin ... and also to make sure the "Top XXX" list I use are not missing anything obvious....

So you have a new list available, it would be great indeed, but nothing too urgent :)

So, here’s the updated version of my “Best Games of All-Time list”. It now includes 22 different top lists to evaluate the final rankings and initially had over 1600 games in it.

Thanks to my new way to calculate the final rankings I was able to make the cut exactly at rank 1000.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SCHKsDjVZpnjpIO6aUwHRV5k7extdQg9YguGRX_wZqc/edit?usp=sharing

I’ve changed the way how I handle the suggested systems quite a few times over the past year so it got a little bit messy in that regard. I cleaned it up the best I could but please take it with a little grain of salt. There might be a few things I have overlooked and I also haven’t checked every multiplatform game on which system it has the best emulation compatibility. For example, even if I wrote PlayStation 2 as the preferred system for a game, the GameCube version might be a better choice because of better emulation. If anyone has suggestions about that feel free to tell me :)

List criterias:

1. Lists can’t be older than 2011. All lists will also lose more and more influence on the final ranking with every year since its release to give more recent games a fair chance.

2. Every game in existence should theoretically have to get the chance to be in the list. So no hidden gems, system, year, decade, or other more specific lists!

3. No lists which handle whole franchises as a single entry. We want to do this on a per game basis.

4. Lists which were created by only one or two persons aren’t allowed either.

5. The list has to feature at least 100 games.

6. If the same website/magazine has released more than one list since 2011 I will merge all lists to a single one (entries in the older lists which didn’t made the cut into the most recent one will be added at the end of it based on their previous rankings)

7. No on-going votings. The final rankings of the games must be definitive.

Here's the Top 30:

1.    Red Dead Redemption
2.    Shadow of the Colossus
3.    Final Fantasy VII
4.    Chrono Trigger
5.    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6.    BioShock
7.    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8.    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
9.    Mass Effect 2
10.    Super Mario 64
11.    Portal 2
12.    Resident Evil 4
13.    The Last of Us
14.    Super Mario World
15.    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
16.    Half-Life 2
17.    Dark Souls
18.    Super Metroid
19.    Grand Theft Auto V
20.    The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
21.    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
22.    Metal Gear Solid
23.    Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
24.    Tetris
25.    World of Warcraft
26.    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
27.    Goldeneye 007
28.    Deus Ex
29.    Halo: Combat Evolved
30.    Metroid Prime

Please note that I’ve tried my best to find a balanced way to give more recent games a fair chance while at the same time not to devaluate older lists too much and give the creators of the newer lists too much power over the final ranking just because they happen to release their list a little more recent. But even with this measure you will notice that the top games of 2016 and 2017 don’t show up as high as they might deserve it. Unfortunately there’s no way to avoid that as it’s not like that websites/magazine publish this kind of lists every week.

Top Lists that are included:

1001: Video Games You Must Play Before You Die (2013)

EasyAllies: The EZA Community Top 100 Videogames! (2016)

EDGE Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames (2017) + 2015 Version

Empire Magazine: The 100 Greatest Video Games (2014)

Famitsu Readers Top 100 (2017)

G4TV: Top 100 (2012)

GameFAQs: Best. Game. Ever. [Top 128] (2015)

gamesradar+: The 100 best games ever (2015)

Gameswelt.de - Top 100 (2016)

Giga.de - Community Top 100 (2011) + Giga.de: Top 20 Editorial Choices not seen in the Top 100 (also includes lots of honorable mentions)

Good Game TV: Top 100 (2014)

HG101: The 200 Best Video Games of All Time (2015) (also includes all 55 runner-ups, all 200 'See Also' entries and the 19 games featured exclusively in the Patreon bonus pages)

HiConsumption.com: The 100 Best Video Games of All Time (2015)

IGN: Top 100 Games of All Time (2015) + IGN: The Games that Didn't Quite Make Our Top 100 (2015)

Jeuxvideo.com: The 100 (2017) + 2011 Version

M! Games: Bundesspielewahl 2013 [Top 128] (2013)

PC & Tech Authority: 100 games to play before you die (2013)

PC Gamer: The Top 100 PC Games (every annual list from 2011 up to 2017)

Popular Mechanics: The 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time (2014)

PowerUpGaming.co.uk: The 100 Greatest Games Ever (2016)

RetroGamer UK: Reader's Top 150 (2015)

Slant Magazine: The 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time (2014)

So I take it if I filter for PC in Original Version and PC & Blank in the Improved and Remake columns I can get the top PC games of All time if arranged by the Score?

Hmm I Smell I top 100 PC Games of ALL Time Wheel. :D

Thank you for your work here CrititalCid.

Ninja Edit: Maybe more than a Top 100.. due to many being completed already. Hmmm might test my reach and do 300 if anyone wants to help. :anyone:

So i went ahead and did a quick PC only version for you. Please note that I haven’t listed every PC port for every game in my sheet for multiple reasons. So there are definitely some games with a PC port missing in this filtered list but the huge majority should be definitely included.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ewxYFBc-wxNYhp4TT3JPHMx0_aHuFWcPckR5bK7X5Cc/edit?usp=sharing

Awesome, Well I should have a lot of the Top 100 done with my current list. And other contributors are adding more and more all the time.

I will look to as I said, start a more ambition version with the Top 300 of All Time and fill in the gaps.

Also I would encourage other members if you have nice 16:9 themes of PC Games that are ready, post some announcements and lets get this Platform Rocking!!

I know a lot of People with Front ends don't just use arcade cabinets but High End PC's and TV Boxes Also.

I love the nostalgia of running through Hyperspin more than anything these days with the sheer amount of quality media produced by this community and forever finding games that I loved in the past.

Speaking of 16:9 themes. I’m not sure if you are aware of this but a user over the LaunchBox forum did over 100 cinematic themes for PC games and uploads new ones almost daily.

I’m not sure  how the mods feel about if I post a link to the LaunchBox forum download section so I just leave his YouTube playlists with some of his themes here for now:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOP5vk3nlfPiVO7wJXSY4pI32jlNcMFiy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOP5vk3nlfPgp1wDJzpFae3l63YIjtF-u

15 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Speaking of 16:9 themes. I’m not sure if you are aware of this but a user over the LaunchBox forum did over 100 cinematic themes for PC games and uploads new ones almost daily.

I’m not sure  how the mods feel about if I post a link to the LaunchBox forum download section so I just leave his YouTube playlists with some of his themes here for now:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOP5vk3nlfPiVO7wJXSY4pI32jlNcMFiy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOP5vk3nlfPgp1wDJzpFae3l63YIjtF-u

I dont think anyone will take issue with links to good quality media regardless of location (excluding romsites :) ).

Its all for the games. I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say thankyou for your contributions to the scene in general Cid

Yeah I will be checking them out, if they better than what I am producing and fills gaps why not use them. :D

From a glance they all look pretty amazing, just not sure on size.

Was hoping to set a limit of around 50ish mb per theme and videosnap.

Might be able to convert them to something small if needed also, or at the very least be inspired to step up my game.

:)

4 hours ago, Bungles said:

@CriticalCid

Would you be able to start up some xml Databases for a Top 300? Or maybe just the 2014 Top 100 PC Gamer list for me?

Would save me a lot of time splitting of my Current PC Games List. :nyam1:

Sorry but I don't actively use HyperSpin anymore besides theme recording as I've switched completely to LaunchBox almost 2 years ago. I'll plan to do an extensive LaunchBox playlists project for my giant excel sheet when I'm done (which won't be anytime soon) but I won't create any HyperSpin databases. I'll definitely share my sheets here with you guys as well but the actual databases would be needed to be done by someone else.

3 hours ago, thatman84 said:

I dont think anyone will take issue with links to good quality media regardless of location (excluding romsites :) ).

Its all for the games. I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say thankyou for your contributions to the scene in general Cid

I guess you're right. Here's the link :)

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/653-pc-game-themes-169/

Also thanks for the kind words, I areally appreciate it!

Archived