Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nugen/viewlix inspired mini build

Hi Richie,

This is awesome!  I’m planning on building my own cabinet and googled ‘DIY Nugen style arcade cabinets’ - which brought me here.  Funnily enough I’m just down the road from you in Flint! 

Quick question:  how did you get such a quality paint finish?  Was it a painstaking process of sanding, filling and repeat?  What paint did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?  

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob, Great to here your nearby.. All the pieces were covered in 3m car vinyl, if you fill and prime your wood then sand smooth before sticking you vinyl it looks as good as high quality paint. Never any orange peel and i find it quite hard wearing.  If you did choose to do this method its best to plan where you seems are hidden, for example the side pieces that hold the control panel the join is hidden in the t moulding groove you couldn't wrap a whole 2 sided piece completely in one piece vinyl, if that makes sense..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2018 at 8:13 PM, richie_jones said:

Hi Rob, Great to here your nearby.. All the pieces were covered in 3m car vinyl, if you fill and prime your wood then sand smooth before sticking you vinyl it looks as good as high quality paint. Never any orange peel and i find it quite hard wearing.  If you did choose to do this method its best to plan where you seems are hidden, for example the side pieces that hold the control panel the join is hidden in the t moulding groove you couldn't wrap a whole 2 sided piece completely in one piece vinyl, if that makes sense..

Genius!  I’ll definitley consider using vinyl for my build.  Thanks for the tip Richie 

• 1 month later...

Look at that baby can!!! :)

Actually be cool to see how an xu4 built arcade performs. I am contemplating that over the pi3b+ next year for a portable control panel all in one thing that works with my PC as a standalone panel. Just an idea right now but threads like this help the ideas stay strong!

Archived