Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Running Roms via a Nas on Shield

egatimra

You need to share the NAS device as a share and Mount it as a drive on your Shield.

The new 3.2 Update should make this much easier to do and i will write up my experience on that once my NAS comes in.

I have a link to a older setup on how to do this , but i need to review the rules on linking to another forum first to see if tha'ts ok.

I didn't particularly want to change the hostname of the machine to sdcard1 so another method is to add this to your smb.conf:

local master = no

netbios aliases = sdcard1

You can now access the same shares using sdcard1 as the hostname while setting up the shares on the shield.

So has anyone been successful I've a 4tb wd my cloud and having awful trouble can see yo link if at all I'll rename or whatever I bought this drive specifically for roms

I've all folders on a sd card and when I point hyper hq and rocketlauncher to the roms I still get a message saying

"Warning attempting to launch missing rom"

Is it possible to just rename the drive sdcard1 and have full set up on the cloud ?

I'm still moving my data to my 16TB EX2 My Cloud. (1 Week!) I've been transferring for days at this point and will FINALLY be able to continue with testing methods on this issue probably tomorrow.

excellent... what would be the syntax to get me started? am I right I thinking it would be /storage/<my nas ip or name>/<share>/roms/<system name eg Sega - Genesis>

Be great to see if it was possible I'm not the most technically minded,so if someone found a way it'd be great the issue I think is the hyperspin apk searches in

Storage/usbdrive/hyperspin

Storage/sdcard1/hyperspin

Storage/sdcard0/hyperspin

So getting the whole set up on an external hd(which I previously had) is a no go I think but can't understand why pointing hyperhq and rocketlauncher to the roms on my cloud should be an issue but no matter what I do it ain't working hopefully one of you guys with a bit more experience might be able to shed some light on it

my understanding is that the Hyperspin programme itself needs to be either on the USB, SD or Maindrive of the shield.  However, looking at the setup for ROMs I see no reason why they cant be run from anywhere with just the change to the ROMPath within the ini file being changed.

When I had set up RCB (Rom Collection Browser) within Kodi that's exactly how my ROMs played.  Granted it was easier because within Kodi you could add the path, and previously with Android it couldn't natively see Media servers etc.  However with Marshmellow my Nas now appears under storage so the shield can see it thus im thinking as long as I can get the path correct it should work.  Cloud however im not sure, as I don't know if that can be seen and/or it would handle passwords etc for it

That's what I thought alright but for some reason the roms aren't showing up getting

"Warning attempting to launch missing roms"

I've pointed hyperspin to the rom path in hyperhq and rocketlauncher and as I'm not the most experienced user I got a mate of mine who's been using hyperspin for years(although he uses pc) to have a look and make sure I'm not doing something wrong which is quit possible

I hopeing someone can get it up and running and then I can try figure out what I'm doing wrong

if you go to here http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/9226-how-to-set-up-hyperspin-on-the-nvidia-shield-beginners-guide/ and look at the 6th post down I believe.

The guy there is referring to his SNES config and the ini file.  The only that that needs changing is the ROMPATH however like I said im not sure if natively the shield will see Cloud Storage?

I know Marshmellow 6.0 allows mediaservers such as NAS drives to be seen as storage which thus makes it possible in my mind to do, but I don't know about cloud or at least cloud via hyperspin

Tried editing the ini alright put the exact rom path that I pointed hyperhq and rocket launcher too still no look only other thing I can think of is to edit the ini file to the temporary unzip folder will try that and see but think my lack of knowledge here is shining true could be missing something so this is what I've done

Changed the rom path on hyperhq and rocketlauncher

And edited the ini rom path

Tried editing the ini alright put the exact rom path that I pointed hyperhq and rocket launcher too still no look only other thing I can think of is to edit the ini file to the temporary unzip folder will try that and see but think my lack of knowledge here is shining true could be missing something so this is what I've done

Changed the rom path on hyperhq and rocketlauncher

And edited the ini rom path

right my knowledge here could be wrong however........ Hyperspin maynot be able to even play the file zipped up, potentially an android issue not Hyperspin

your best bet first is to put a game locally, set you're ini path to that and try that game to see if it works.  Exactly the same format as you would do in the cloud.  If that works it rules out the zip issue.  If it doesn't then you need to try a ROM not zipped same procedure place it on local and try.  once you get it working on local you can then start working on getting it to work further afield, first with a card or USB, then your cloud.  Im still not convinced it will work on cloud.   If I get a chance tonight/this weekend i'll try and get some testing done for a NAS, but im busy this week with my INSANITY Class and the start of the football season (UK).  Plus im still in process of setting up my system on windows first but ive got the Genesis working so I could at least try and test with that

Thanks for the reply I had it all working great on an sd card all the non disk systems as it was only 64gb. I think maybe your right about the cloud not working,for whatever reason one of the guys on this thread is going to attempt it on his 12tb cloud so I'll hold fast and see how he gets on as there doesn't seem to be evidence online anywhere that someone has successfully linked a nas drive with hyperspin.

Didn't you know the football league started last weekend and just for the record Leeds started it in there usual fashion :)))

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply I had it all working great on an sd card all the non disk systems as it was only 64gb. I think maybe your right about the cloud not working,for whatever reason one of the guys on this thread is going to attempt it on his 12tb cloud so I'll hold fast and see how he gets on as there doesn't seem to be evidence online anywhere that someone has successfully linked a nas drive with hyperspin.

Didn't you know the football league started last weekend and just for the record Leeds started it in there usual fashion :)))

Thanks again

a NAS is different to the cloud so its highly likely it will be possible as the NAS sits on the same network as the shield etc. 

Oh yes I forgot that Sunday league football started last weekend but I meant the big boys league ;-)

Although that said im a Gooner so it'll be another season filled with hope followed by the usual no plan b tactics and injuries with our inspector cluless as manager

See now I'm really showing my inexperience I thought nas was the same as cloud

I am actually to run the roms on my wd mycloud

Arsenal so close to being a fantastic team yet so far

its not inexperience its simply a learning curve...thankfully for me I work with PCs all day, but android is all new to me. a NAS is simply a Network Attached Storage device.  In other words its a harddrive or bunch of harddrives that are connected to your network allowing all your devices to connect to it for various purposes the main being to access your music and films etc.  The Cloud is say something like Google drive.  Its located on the web and while you're devices can access it from anywhere its not actually on "your network".

and yes as per we are so close but with AW in charge I feel we will remain so far

Archived