Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Neo Geo CD games

mihaliousa

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory, it might be possible but Reicast is only partially complete (and many games don't work).   If mess works on PC/desktop, I would assume that could be a better path.

I've been patient with neo cd because there are very few unique games for that system.

• 6 months later...

I run NEO GEO CD games using Retroarch MAME core, they are all compressed in CHD, there's a tutorial on Libretro forum showing how, it it runs on PC, it should run on Android, not sure though.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/sos-neo-geo-cd-mess2014-core-setup/6235/33

Read carefully all instructions and somethings I've figured out myself later, you should manage to run NEO GEO CD in Retroarch.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I managed to get a game running through retroarch following that thread posted in here along with thatman84's atari2500 tutorial but now I can't figure out how to get the game to start through hyperspin. I'm using chd versions of the games and have it labled the way the mame's neocd xml have them labled. Hyperspin's SNK Neo Geo CD's xml have the same games named completely different though. Do I just copy the contents from the mame neocd xml into Hyperspin's snk neo goe cd xml to have them recognized within the hyperspin game wheel?

1 hour ago, sonkun said:

Ok so I managed to get a game running through retroarch following that thread posted in here along with thatman84's atari2500 tutorial but now I can't figure out how to get the game to start through hyperspin. I'm using chd versions of the games and have it labled the way the mame's neocd xml have them labled. Hyperspin's SNK Neo Geo CD's xml have the same games named completely different though. Do I just copy the contents from the mame neocd xml into Hyperspin's snk neo goe cd xml to have them recognized within the hyperspin game wheel?

Your best off getting Phulshoff's xml's. He converts the mame ones to hyperspin format. The details are in the official mame database thread. They are hosted at the new retrofe website.

otherwise for quick testing you can run Don's tools - Create list to build an xml off the rom folder BUT this looses all metadata.

Just now, thatman84 said:

Does that create a HS xml for use with android HS? As sonkun is setting up for that reason.

No it requires you to create a ini file with the database name and your rom name, but I saw too late this was for Android.

8 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Your best off getting Phulshoff's xml's. He converts the mame ones to hyperspin format. The details are in the official mame database thread. They are hosted at the new retrofe website.

otherwise for quick testing you can run Don's tools - Create list to build an xml off the rom folder BUT this looses all metadata.

Can't I just use the SNK Neo Geo CD xml that's designed for Hyperspin? I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with his xml's. There's so many in there and I don't see a Neo Geo CD xml, assuming that's what I'm even supposed to be looking for.

I found neocd but without the "z" at the end. Should I just use that one. And if yes, do I leave it named as is or do I change it to the way my hyperspin reads it which is "SNK Neo Geo CD"? I also just noticed that the neocd xml in my retroarch mame hash folder is also named without the "z" at the end. I don't know if that missing letter is affecting anything but I've managed to get a game loading that way through retroarch stand alone

14 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Can't I just use the SNK Neo Geo CD xml that's designed for Hyperspin? I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with his xml's. There's so many in there and I don't see a Neo Geo CD xml, assuming that's what I'm even supposed to be looking for.

No you can't because on droid we have to use the software list names from MAME.

as Phulshoff said it's the neocdz one in the mess folder. Will be the same name as your romfolder for RA MAME setup.

grab that and rename it to SNK Neo Geo CD.xml (if that's how you have named the system in Hyperspin)

in your retroarch MAME setup all your games should be setup with the names from Mr P's xml.

Ok so I took Phulshof's neocd xml, renamed it, placed it in my database folder and proceeded to test a game (Samurai Shodown III) through hyperspin, Mame started to load up and then crashed at 100 percent so at least that seems some kind of progress was made if the core at least started. The game is listed as "samsho3" on the xml file. I renamed my zip file to that xml name and tried it, that didn't work. I then tried to rename the chd file itself to that xml name and that also didn't work. So now I'm stuck again. This is the first core I've come across where you need a file to make a rom/image actually start. I think that's where one of the problems lie or it could be I'm naming/doing something wrong. I know that the game works when the zip file is named after the "software name" on the mame neocd xml which is "samsho3" and that you need the cd image/chd named after the "disc name" also on the mame neocd xml which is "samurai shodown iii (1995)(snk)(jp)[!][samurai spirits - zankurou musouken][ngcd-087 mt a04]". Starting up the game through the zip on retroarch standalone that way it works every time. I need to somehow apply that to hyperspin and that's where I'm lost.

I read on the retroarch thread on this topic that a user managed to get the game to start by simply just loading up the chd image, maybe those rules don't apply to the android version.

Edit: Just tried another system through Mame (Atari 5200) that just needs one zip to start the game, but just like with Neo Geo CD I can only get the game to work in Retroarch only and not on the Hyperspin wheel even while using Phulshof's a5200 xml, Mame just crashes. Strange.

16 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@phulshof while your about how/where is the MAME artwork pack you put together. I have forgotten!! :( 

I'm sure yours had bezels and wheels in one spot?

The old set is in the Official section at the EmuMovies FTP; the latest set is at /Upload Here/RetroFE/emulators/MAME/artwork of that same FTP site. You can also use this thread if you prefer to use MEGA:

7 hours ago, sonkun said:

Ok so I took Phulshof's neocd xml, renamed it, placed it in my database folder and proceeded to test a game (Samurai Shodown III) through hyperspin, Mame started to load up and then crashed at 100 percent so at least that seems some kind of progress was made if the core at least started. The game is listed as "samsho3" on the xml file. I renamed my zip file to that xml name and tried it, that didn't work. I then tried to rename the chd file itself to that xml name and that also didn't work. So now I'm stuck again. This is the first core I've come across where you need a file to make a rom/image actually start. I think that's where one of the problems lie or it could be I'm naming/doing something wrong. I know that the game works when the zip file is named after the "software name" on the mame neocd xml which is "samsho3" and that you need the cd image/chd named after the "disc name" also on the mame neocd xml which is "samurai shodown iii (1995)(snk)(jp)[!][samurai spirits - zankurou musouken][ngcd-087 mt a04]". Starting up the game through the zip on retroarch standalone that way it works every time. I need to somehow apply that to hyperspin and that's where I'm lost.

I read on the retroarch thread on this topic that a user managed to get the game to start by simply just loading up the chd image, maybe those rules don't apply to the android version.

Edit: Just tried another system through Mame (Atari 5200) that just needs one zip to start the game, but just like with Neo Geo CD I can only get the game to work in Retroarch only and not on the Hyperspin wheel even while using Phulshof's a5200 xml, Mame just crashes. Strange.

You need to do a separate config for hyperspin. You need to load Atari 2600 thru hyperspin. Then go into RetroArch menu. Go to BIOS directory then print your BIOS directory to mame system folder. Then exit out of RetroArch. Then open up hyperspin and go to neo Geo CD and load a game. Make sure you use all your dummy folders for your Roms in xml

7 hours ago, badhemi said:

You need to do a separate config for hyperspin. You need to load Atari 2600 thru hyperspin. Then go into RetroArch menu. Go to BIOS directory then print your BIOS directory to mame system folder. Then exit out of RetroArch. Then open up hyperspin and go to neo Geo CD and load a game. Make sure you use all your dummy folders for your Roms in xml

Tried it, still crashes after trying to start through hyperspin. What exactly is retroarch supposed to be reading/loading from the mame system folder? From what I've read you have to have the 3 neo geo cd bios in the same folder as your chds and that the folder should be named "neocdz". That's where I had my bios pointed to during the times it worked through retroarch stand alone. I also have a dummy zipped file for the game I'm testing (Samurai Shodown III) labeled as "samsho3"  within the same folder as the chd and bios which is what the mame xml is looking for to start the game, I thought at first you needed the actual mame rom that's zipped as "samsho3" in the folder but then read that you just simply need a empty folder as long as it's zipped with the naming that the mame xml needs to read. I also have the disc image/chd labeled the way the mame xml wants it named as well, loading the game through that zip works everytime but only through retroarch standalone itself and not hyperspin.

Edit: Did a quick test and re pointed my system/bios directory directly to the folder where the chds and 3 bios are just to see what happens, started a game through retroarch stand alone and it crashed. Re pointing the system/bios directory back to the retroarch default system folder where my regular bios folder (that also has the 3 neo geo bios files)/mame folder etc. allowed the game to start as normal. I'm not sure exactly what's going on when applying this same method but through hyperspin. I have a feeling it all of this may have to do with the xml's, mainly how the hyperspin one is set up. Or maybe it's something else, not to mention this is all being done through android and I don't think there's been one documented case of anyone succsessfully starting a mess game through the android hyperspin wheel. badhemi if you successfully started a mess game through hyperspin I would like to know exactly what you did step by step, I'm sure a tutorial would help me and any other android hyperspinners in the future.

12 hours ago, phulshof said:

Can't help you there I'm afraid; I don't use RetroArch myself. I use MAME directly, both for Neo-Geo CD as well as Atari 5200.

It's ok, thank you for at least responding. Maybe one day when I start using MAME more directly and I have trouble I can reach out to you for assistance.

4 hours ago, sonkun said:

Tried it, still crashes after trying to start through hyperspin. What exactly is retroarch supposed to be reading/loading from the mame system folder? From what I've read you have to have the 3 neo geo cd bios in the same folder as your chds and that the folder should be named "neocdz". That's where I had my bios pointed to during the times it worked through retroarch stand alone. I also have a dummy zipped file for the game I'm testing (Samurai Shodown III) labeled as "samsho3"  within the same folder as the chd and bios which is what the mame xml is looking for to start the game, I thought at first you needed the actual mame rom that's zipped as "samsho3" in the folder but then read that you just simply need a empty folder as long as it's zipped with the naming that the mame xml needs to read. I also have the disc image/chd labeled the way the mame xml wants it named as well, loading the game through that zip works everytime but only through retroarch standalone itself and not hyperspin.

Edit: Did a quick test and re pointed my system/bios directory directly to the folder where the chds and 3 bios are just to see what happens, started a game through retroarch stand alone and it crashed. Re pointing the system/bios directory back to the retroarch default system folder where my regular bios folder (that also has the 3 neo geo bios files)/mame folder etc. allowed the game to start as normal. I'm not sure exactly what's going on when applying this same method but through hyperspin. I have a feeling it all of this may have to do with the xml's, mainly how the hyperspin one is set up. Or maybe it's something else, not to mention this is all being done through android and I don't think there's been one documented case of anyone succsessfully starting a mess game through the android hyperspin wheel. badhemi if you successfully started a mess game through hyperspin I would like to know exactly what you did step by step, I'm sure a tutorial would help me and any other android hyperspinners in the future.

All my 65 mess systems run thru hyperspin

Archived