Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

starting a cabinet build (wall-mounted)

haimbilia

finally gonna have time this month to get back to hyperspin and doing a project i have been planning for years now.

the plan is to have the cabinet wall mounted to save space

something like this:

polycade_arcade_machine_2.jpg

only with less sharp edges.

i made a sketchup model of roughly what i want:

post-34631-0-35737500-1469976615_thumb.jpg

post-34631-0-69124700-1469976632_thumb.jpg

also i ordered this kit, a trackball, and some extra buttons.

i know it's a cheap chinese crap but im on a tight budget.

the pc is an old i3 first gen with an r9 290 i have.

i also ordered this amp so i can hook up some nice speakers.

i will try to update as i go...

also gonna get back to helping xALPHAxOMEGAx with he's project and im about 80% finished with the WSC cartridges. so good things are coming.

Interesting build. Never seen anything like that and it seems like it could be really cool. Retro-Future 60's-ish idea.

Those parts though... I know you're on a budget, but I would still at the very least ditch that encoder for an iPac. I just have the feeling that thing is going to give you 10's if not 100's of extra hours trying to get it to work right.

this encoder register as a gamepad for the pc. you think it could be a problem? i saw some reviews saying it works fine.

I've never used one, but there are always a bunch of people making topics here using various joystick encoders that have problems.

I know that to even get it to work with HyperSpin you'll need to set it up and then you'll need to use a 3rd party program like Xpadder or Joy2Key to even get it working.

From there I believe you need different profiles to load in/out for starting games and/or exiting back to HyperSpin...

I don't know the specifics, just that there are multitudes of help topics with them here. I've just read enough of them to know I'd never want to have to mess with one.

thank you for the input. i can return them in 30 days. so i will check them and see if there are any problems.

joy2key is fairly simple to set up so i don't think i will have any problem.

i will also have 10 additional buttons just for hyperspin and hyper pause so i don't have to constantly switch between profiles.

BTW i need a name for this machine to put on the marquee, any suggestions?

Glad to see you back buddy, and nice idea let's see were this is going. and yeah add the fans you can add 2 on bottom for in and out flow since i dont see much space on top...but t will flow into the entire machine anyway

Glad to see you back buddy, and nice idea let's see were this is going. and yeah add the fans you can add 2 on bottom for in and out flow since i dont see much space on top...but t will flow into the entire machine anyway

thank you, im glad to be back,

actually the fans are going to be on the sides closest to the gpu. i don't know yet if i will add a grill or drill holes, im leaning more to holes because grills are ugly.

here are the side panels:

post-34631-0-60447900-1470056994_thumb.jpg

with wood filler:

post-34631-0-90427300-1470057069_thumb.jpg

i also want to have a couple usb ports on the side so i modified this internal esata-usb thingy i had laying around:

post-34631-0-97197800-1470057207_thumb.jpg

post-34631-0-87636000-1470057290_thumb.jpg

the front of the controls will be the hardest thing to as i want it to be curved, i still don't know if i will use a thin sheet of plywood soak it in water and then try to bend it or maybe just go with soft pvc plastic.

anyway here are the ribs that will form the curvature:

post-34631-0-53494700-1470057476_thumb.jpg

and here it is with the control panel (its upside down):

post-34631-0-49916800-1470057647_thumb.jpg

i cut it all with a jigsaw cuz thats what i have so i have a lot of sanding to do.

the plan is to have the cabinet wall mounted to save space

something like this:

polycade_arcade_machine_2.jpg

only with less sharp edges.

[sexism]

I can see plenty of curves in that picture.  Took me a while to spot the wall mounted cabinet though.

[/sexism]

Nice..how do you rate the joysticks?..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

well i have nothing to compare it to, so you shouldn't take my word but it works fairly well, no noticeable lag and the diagonals are fairly easy to reach. i would say the travel distance is a bit to short for my taste but it's something many people like.

madhatter3339 - yes i been researching about it and its seem straight forward i still haven't got to that part,  i will update my success/failure when i get to it. 

there is also the method of soaking the wood in warm water and it should work fine on thin plywood i guess i will have to try and learn.

Before you try to bend it...check this video out. Dave Rat from Rat Sound (sound engineer for red hot chili peppers) bends wood by making cuts that almost go through...looks much simpler and easy to test.

Archived