Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

n64 retroarch miracle!!!

epayson85

http://loganbuildbot.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

LoganMC has been building a new core based off of Mupen64 AE with GLES3 support.  You need to be on a nightly build in order to use GLES3 but holy crap its awesome! Still tweaking the settings to get it the way I like it but its running great so far!  Still need more testing but would love to hear others reports of using it.

WOW what a pain! first off per core configs no longer work in the latest nightly builds of retroarch... luckily if you use your old config files as override files it works exactly the same. Then the core options I wanted for Glupen64 were not saving unless I saved them per game.  I did some tweaks to a config file and AMAZING.  Looks just as good if not better than Mupen64plus AE plus it has PERFECT sound latency.  I always noticed a bit of lag on those mupen64 apps but this is perfect!  I would have shot myself if I hadn't rooted my shield though so I would advise against doing this without root.

It looks like Glupen64 has been added to the libretro distribution so you can now download it without being rooted! I do not know if it includes or is the opengl3 variant or not.  If anyone does try it out make sure you increase the resolution in the core options and turn on framebuffer emulation.  Once you do that then in my opinion it beats Mupen64plus AE.  I never had any experience with the mupen core for retroarch though so I can't compare.

So I was going through and checking out other roms last night. I noticed Banjo Kazooie for the first time ever in my experience, displays the puzzle pieces correctly.  Basically when the screens transition the screen turns into puzzle pieces and fly off the screen.  On any version of any n64 emulator I have ever used... the puzzle pieces turn black and it looks awful.  Finally in Glupen with the frame buffer emulation turned on the puzzle pieces actually look correct! I will say I have seen reports of controller lag due to frame buffer emulation turned on for both Windows and Android.  I have not seen it in the least bit on my shield tv.  So far I think this is the best n64 emulator I have ever used for both windows and android.

This is awesome. Blows mupen64 and Paul's away

It honestly does. The only graphics glitch I have found so far is mortal Kombat 4. The health / time doesn't display at the top of the screen. However... the game looks better than it has on any n64 emulator I have ever used. I haven't tested glupen on Windows yet but will be soon.

It does not look like its on Windows version of RetroArch yet !! :(

It is but its not available for download via retroarch.  You have to download it from loganmc's build bot.

http://loganbuildbot.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/cores    - You can download the windows version manually.  I don't really use retroarch on PC besides a couple systems so I will have to test this at some point.

What's the difference between the glupen64 and glupen 64 gles

I have only been using the GLES version.  Its enhanced for hardware that can support GL 3.0 and higher such as the shield.  However, you have to be on retroarch nightlies to use it.  The latest stable release of retroarch only uses GL 2.0.  I have been wondering if those reporting issues on android have been using the non gles version / don't have good enough hardware because I have been loving every game I throw at this thing.

I have only been using the GLES version. Its enhanced for hardware that can support GL 3.0 and higher such as the shield. However, you have to be on retroarch nightlies to use it. The latest stable release of retroarch only uses GL 2.0. I have been wondering if those reporting issues on android have been using the non gles version / don't have good enough hardware because I have been loving every game I throw at this thing.

I had no issues with gles. But the other glupen when I ran scoobie doo game all the characters were blacked out

I have only been using the GLES version. Its enhanced for hardware that can support GL 3.0 and higher such as the shield. However, you have to be on retroarch nightlies to use it. The latest stable release of retroarch only uses GL 2.0. I have been wondering if those reporting issues on android have been using the non gles version / don't have good enough hardware because I have been loving every game I throw at this thing.

I had no issues with gles. But the other glupen when I ran scoobie doo game all the characters were blacked out

I found I bug today not sure if it's just me but when I play mupen gles3 thru retroarch I can play it in 4k and all my controllers inputs work. Now when I play thru hyperspin it is in low resolution and I can't access retroarch menu.

I found this as well and figured out the fix. It will take me a bit to A. Remember and B. Type it up lol but I will. You are on a nightly build yes? Are you rooted or no?

ok so this is going to suck lol this right here is the #1 reason to root.  YOU CAN BACKUP YOUR CONFIG FILES.  Why hyperspin causes retroarch to use a rooted directory for its files is beyond me.  If you use retroarch alone it saves everything in the sdcard directory.

So I will give you a step to try... and maybe it will work.  Otherwise... what I tell you to do after that is going to cause you to lose ALL of your current settings for your other emulators.  Which... should be reason enough to just go ahead and root anyway because when you root you will lose everything then as well.  Just remember though if you were rooted you wouldn't lose all these settings because you could have all your cfg files backed up.

So the first thing to try is this.  You need to do the hyperspin config file trick first.  If you don't know what that is you go into retroarch without hyperspin.  Go to settings, directory, and change the "config" directory.  Choose "application directory" and then select "use this directory."  Now go back to the main menu and go to "load configuration"  you should be in the rooted directory now and select "retroarch.cfg".  That is the trick if you weren't familiar and you have now loaded the config file that Hyperspin uses.  From here load an n64 game... there should honestly be one in your "recently launched games".  Once the game is launched try to change the core settings to your liking.  Go back into the game.  More than likely they won't load because typically they never do until after retroarch is reset.  Now exit the game, exit retroarch and try to load a game from hyperspin and see if the settings stuck.

Now if that doesn't work... and unfortunately I have a feeling it won't then you are going to have to either root so you can edit the config files OR you can do another trick.  The problem with rooting or the trick is you are going to lose all of your configuration settings.

Rooting it is pretty self explanitory.  Once you have rooted the system and reset everything up the way you want it... then you create an "override file" while having an n64 game launched.  It will then create a config file in "retroarch directory/config/Glupen64/GlupeN64.cfg"  You access that file and add the line " core_options_path = "/data/data/com.retroarch/retroarch-core-options.cfg" "  Then it should save all your settings correctly in that file.  If not you can put them in there manually and it would look like this -

glupen64-cpucore = "dynamic_recompiler"
glupen64-screensize = "1600x1200"
glupen64-BilinearMode = "standard"
glupen64-EnableFBEmulation = "True"
glupen64-UseNativeResolutionFactor = "0x"
glupen64-EnableCopyAuxiliaryToRDRAM = "False"
glupen64-EnableCopyColorToRDRAM = "Async"
glupen64-EnableCopyDepthToRDRAM = "Off"
glupen64-EnableCopyColorFromRDRAM = "False"
glupen64-EnableNoise = "True"
glupen64-EnableLOD = "True"
glupen64-EnableHWLighting = "False"
glupen64-CorrectTexrectCoords = "Off"
glupen64-EnableNativeResTexrects = "False"
glupen64-EnableLegacyBlending = "True"
glupen64-EnableFragmentDepthWrite = "True"
glupen64-PolygonOffsetFactor = "-3.0f"
glupen64-audio-buffer-size = "2048"
glupen64-astick-deadzone = "15"
glupen64-pak1 = "memory"
glupen64-pak2 = "memory"
glupen64-pak3 = "memory"
glupen64-pak4 = "memory"

Now... if you want to go through the work of not rooting but still having to resetup your emulators you can do this.  And it will give you the ability to at least backup your config files without root.  

First use a file explorer or FTP server and create a directory in the SDcard.  I just used "retroarch".  Then create a folder called config.  Next go into Retroarch and do the hyperspin config trick again and load up the retroarch confg file in the root directory.  Now go back to the directory settings and we are going to change the config directory again.  This time we are going to change it the new directory you just created... so it would look something like this "/storage/emulated/0/retroarch/Config"  Then same thing as before load an n64 game and then get back into the menu and select create override file.  Only now the override file will be in this new folder that you have access to.  So now you can edit the file and add the line in for the core options.  Only this time I would put the core options file in the new "retroarch" folder you created.  This way you can edit that file as well.  From here now all of your override files will also be saved here for all of your cores.  So you can now back them up.  These "override" files can also be complete core config files just like they use to be on the stable version before they got rid of separate configs per core.  

OOOO!!!! ALSO A BIG THING I FORGOT ON EVERY ONE OF THESE STEPS! You have to enable override files hahaha

Now if that doesn't work... and unfortunately I have a feeling it won't then you are going to have to either root so you can edit the config files OR you can do another trick. The problem with rooting or the trick is you are going to lose all of your configuration settings.

Rooting it is pretty self explanitory. Once you have rooted the system and reset everything up the way you want it... then you create an "override file" while having an n64 game launched. It will then create a config file in "retroarch directory/config/Glupen64/GlupeN64.cfg" You access that file and add the line " core_options_path = "/data/data/com.retroarch/retroarch-core-options.cfg" " Then it should save all your settings correctly in that file. If not you can put them in there manually and it would look like this -

glupen64-cpucore = "dynamic_recompiler"

glupen64-screensize = "1600x1200"

glupen64-BilinearMode = "standard"

glupen64-EnableFBEmulation = "True"

glupen64-UseNativeResolutionFactor = "0x"

glupen64-EnableCopyAuxiliaryToRDRAM = "False"

glupen64-EnableCopyColorToRDRAM = "Async"

glupen64-EnableCopyDepthToRDRAM = "Off"

glupen64-EnableCopyColorFromRDRAM = "False"

glupen64-EnableNoise = "True"

glupen64-EnableLOD = "True"

glupen64-EnableHWLighting = "False"

glupen64-CorrectTexrectCoords = "Off"

glupen64-EnableNativeResTexrects = "False"

glupen64-EnableLegacyBlending = "True"

glupen64-EnableFragmentDepthWrite = "True"

glupen64-PolygonOffsetFactor = "-3.0f"

glupen64-audio-buffer-size = "2048"

glupen64-astick-deadzone = "15"

glupen64-pak1 = "memory"

glupen64-pak2 = "memory"

glupen64-pak3 = "memory"

glupen64-pak4 = "memory"

Now... if you want to go through the work of not rooting but still having to resetup your emulators you can do this. And it will give you the ability to at least backup your config files without root.

First use a file explorer or FTP server and create a directory in the SDcard. I just used "retroarch". Then create a folder called config. Next go into Retroarch and do the hyperspin config trick again and load up the retroarch confg file in the root directory. Now go back to the directory settings and we are going to change the config directory again. This time we are going to change it the new directory you just created... so it would look something like this "/storage/emulated/0/retroarch/Config" Then same thing as before load an n64 game and then get back into the menu and select create override file. Only now the override file will be in this new folder that you have access to. So now you can edit the file and add the line in for the core options. Only this time I would put the core options file in the new "retroarch" folder you created. This way you can edit that file as well. From here now all of your override files will also be saved here for all of your cores. So you can now back them up. These "override" files can also be complete core config files just like they use to be on the stable version before they got rid of separate configs per core.

OOOO!!!! ALSO A BIG THING I FORGOT ON EVERY ONE OF THESE STEPS! You have to enable override files hahaha

wow thanks for the very detailed explanation. I'll give it a whirl. Not sure I want to root. Any downside in rooting? Whays wired is this is the only core that is doing this. All the other cores let me go into the menu from hyperspin

Archived