Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) 16x9 Theme Conversion For Android

thatman84

(FYI having trouble with upping some screenshots and the new formatting so please excuse the wierd format)

Converting 16x9 Themes for Hyperspin Android

List of theme animation compatibility

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-8Ofa_GrAdnQ22nf7W7QYVeQoKBQxA_-

(I am in NO way competent with artwork resolutions but my method works and looks good to me)

Why...

Because sometimes that theme you really liked just doesn’t display correctly 

The main reason for theme problems is the use of animation and scripting of the .swf assets in the “theme”.zip

(It’s best to replace themes that cause Hyperspin to crash out, but you can try to convert them)

What’s covered...

1.      Extract PNG assets from swf files

2.      Reduce HQ artwork to be compatible with Hyperspin

3.      Further reduce artwork width to allow for Hyperspin 4x3 -> 16x9 stretching

4.      Recompile your theme

What is Needed:

Update on resizing tool.

Fotosizer is now advised against because of the compression/quality loss it causes.

pPlease use Photoshop or this program recommended by @IceLancer https://sourceforge.net/projects/easyimagesizer/?source=typ_redirect

A    A  Fotosizer (http://www.fotosizer.com/) batch resize image files

B.     Flash Decompiler (https://www.free-dec...flash/download/) extract png’s from swf

C.     Time and Themes

I have done a little testing for Main Menu themes. This spreadsheet shows what I have tested and its Android compatibility status. The sheet has download section links for all themes I have tried.

Let’s get to it... 

So grab a theme zip you want to play with and Unzip it. Any 16x9 Main Menu, Game or System Default theme will do.

BakerMan provided me a guide to extracting the PNG’s from SWF but it has since been lost. 

These are the steps

1.      Open JPEXS once downloaded and installed from link above

2.      Click on the “Open” tab and browse to the offending .swf file from your unzipped theme

SCREENSHOT

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2e

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2eimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5e9927cec29fe2e

3.      Right click on “Images” on the left and click “Export Selection”

(At this step you may find multiple images. If these images are only parts of one image, say the arms and legs of a character, you will have to lose that image completely from the theme or replace it with another one)

SCREENSHOT2

4.      Click “ok” to PNG file type then choose a location for the exported images (Default is Desktop. Only export one at a time and  then move the PNG out of the output folder as it overwrites each one if not)

SCREENSHOT3

5.      Now browse to that Output location and you will find your PNG’s in an “images” folder.

images folder.png

You are now ready for phase 2 – Resizing the images

Note, fotosizer does cause a reduction in artwork quality. If your sensitive to this you may want to use another method. (If you know of a better program please comment) I only run a 37' screen and don't mind myself.

(Resizing Artwork is covered comprehensively by Avar in his tutorials found HERE)

1. Open Fotosizer
  2. Add the Artwork that was converted to PNG
  3. Reduce the images to 68% KEEP MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO TICKED (this is the best size for the ones I have done) Fotoziser reduce swf image size.png

4.       Move the right side settings bar down and select an Output Folder

Fotosizer Output.png

5   Remove that Artwork from Fotosizer

6.   Add the newly resized artwork back into Fotosizer

7.   Reduce the Width to 75% (to allow HS to stretch it back when its loaded)

8.   UNTICK MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIOFotosizer 16x9 convertion.png

9.   Now add this finished art back into the theme folder and zip it up again

add to theme zip.png

10.       Name the zip file the same as you have it in the “Main Menu.xml” database

Final Thoughts...

Now when you try this theme out you may find the artwork has slightly changed location. If so adjust the Artwork positions in the theme.xml file within the theme.zip OR load it into Hypertheme and adjust it as required

Hope this helps someone.

HS Android Theme Animations.txt

No problem...happy 2 help if I can....on another note I got a question...how can the atari st be emulated?...is there a way I can look at maybe your main menu database file 2 see what can and can't be emulated .....?....I been talking to badhemi alot recently and I got good news....I got the amstrad cpc core for him just testing the ini file to make it launch from the wheel like any other game automatically . ...as of now there is no option within retroarch . ...any edits have to be made manually

@sanchezmike01 that's real cool about Amstrad CPC, if you can drop the how to as a new topic in the forum that will help people out. 

Lol people think I have a lot setup but I don't!! I take so long testing and writing I don't get much time to add systems. I got about 15 now aiming for about 30. I don't have the roms & started everything from scratch about a year ago.

• 2 months later...

thanks very much mate ill have a go when i can get abit of time together may have a go tonight on one. is their a place where we can upload them and to find out whats been done. also how long has it been takeing for you to do one roughly thanks again

There's not a spot for them but we could put them somewhere. Maybe in the android base pack. Idk there's not been many people to fussed.

once you get the hang of it should only take half hour. Depends if placement on screen is right. Editing the theme xml takes a little while (for me at least anyway

Ill have a crack at one and see how i get on dont think it will be tonight tho as im busy also my setup is identical to urs and i see uv fixed quite alot already so is their any u desire i can upload the working themes for now like nds psp ect. the systems on my android now are 

Neogeo,Ps1,Gamegear,Dreamcast,Megadrive,Nds,n64,Snez,Nes,Psp,mame

i can drag my themes from pc to test aswell tho but i have to keep connecting and disconnecting sd card which will be a pain 

Small amounts of swf are allowed...my game and watch uses swf and it displays and moves....now if u have a theme that is heaving on swf such as artwork1 2 3 and 4 then yea it will crash....if u want to do it rapidly my approach is openot the swf in exploerer or a swf file reader and see what it consists of....then u can easy search for png images that are the same and use a photo editor like online free ones or gimp which is a free program to resize the image to a good size then do the theme in almost the same fashion it was by reading the xml in the theme....usually takes a few minutes but u can take more time if u can find a good image....if u find one with a border or white background there's a free android apps that allows u to automatically delete the background to have the transparency 

2 hours ago, viper360 said:

Ill have a crack at one and see how i get on dont think it will be tonight tho as im busy also my setup is identical to urs and i see uv fixed quite alot already so is their any u desire i can upload the working themes for now like nds psp ect. the systems on my android now are 

Neogeo,Ps1,Gamegear,Dreamcast,Megadrive,Nds,n64,Snez,Nes,Psp,mame

i can drag my themes from pc to test aswell tho but i have to keep connecting and disconnecting sd card which will be a pain 

is your shield on your local network. You should be able to browse straight to it from your PC? Ifits new 5.0 firmware ther is an option under settings (maybe storage not near it right now) it alllows it to be visible and gives you a password to use. then in windows explorer just browse to the IP address. Save all the disconnectingScreenshot (97).png

Intesting im using tablet with 128gb sd card i tryed to plug it streight in to pc without ejecting sd via cable but takes too long to transfer or even rename files ect so i found it easier to just eject sd card and put that to pc but its a pain ill have to check this out im no wizz on a computer pritty new to be honest havent had a computer for over 10years but im always learning and got a pritty decent set up now lol ill get their my biggest pain is doing 2x hyperspins at once with 2 kids and work its hard ? what does this do exactly is it to just transfer files ect thanks for the info dude

I'm not sure about the tablet, its probably different. It just allows you to edit the files on your SD card over the wifi like they are a folder on your PC. I'm running the SHield TV though.

I hear you about real life! I hardly used my laptop at home a year ago and now its on LOTS. :0 and I only have 1 kid to control.

47 minutes ago, viper360 said:

All themes finished in my setup thanks for ur tutorial mate if you need help doing any more pal just ask

Sweet, glad I could help

Zip them up and add them to this thread. They wont be to big so worth dropping them incase something starts to build

41 minutes ago, sanchezmike01 said:

I'm currently making 3 main menu themes and 3 game themes for pinball apks....the most painful part is either finding images or finding good jpgs and cleaning them up and making the background transparent 

nice 1 id like to take a look when uv finished. iv only adjusted the themes so the pictures show up properly. iv been looking at hyperspin redesign theme looks brill that does 

34 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Sweet, glad I could help

Zip them up and add them to this thread. They wont be to big so worth dropping them incase something starts to build

Compatible themes for nvidia tablet android just drag and drop and replace ur old ones...

not tested on nvidia tv by all means try but back up ur old ones just incase

Nintendo DS.zip

Nintendo 64.zip

MAME.zip

Nintendo Entertainment System.zip

Sega Dreamcast.zip

Sega Genesis.zip

SNK Neo Geo.zip

Sony PlayStation.zip

Sony PSP.zip

Super Nintendo Entertainment System.zip

1 hour ago, viper360 said:

All themes finished in my setup thanks for ur tutorial mate if you need help doing any more pal just ask

theres so many themes and ways to customise I still have not decided!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinematic videos, cinematic videos inside normal themes, united mega theme, Aeon Nox theme

The biggest bummer is with the theme sets if you find you want to add a system not included its a bitch to make it look ok. Unless your a Photoshop wiz

Hyperspin_20170207_231717.png

I really like the background animation on this but the artworks a bit small and off, I cant remember the theme I have for it as not added NDS yet as waiting on some final roms before adding it in.

This Dreamcast one is better than the one I have I'm going to stick with this one

Hyperspin_20170207_231744.png

Archived