Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Taito Type X key mapping

acpowell

I recently started setting up the Taito Type X games on my machines using Giga's instructions.  I also have all the files he used (I think).  I have the games working for the most part, short of a few things I cannot figure out.

#1 in order to exit games on MAME and Naomi I use a 2 button Key combo of Coin 1 and Player 2 start.  I cannot figure out how to do this with the Type X games nor do I know if it is even possible.  I know some of the games are hard to change the key mappings.

#2 so far only in Raiden IV (the game I want to play the most) when press certain buttons at the same time, it changes the orientation of my screen.  I have only ever had this happen when the Intel Video shortcuts were enabled.  I have disabled them forever ago and even double checked this.  Perhaps since the game loads like an application it is a windows that is seeing the keys combo as a windows command but I havn't looked into that yet.

I know I have other issues, but those are the 2 that I need to resolve as of right now.  I of course will ask more when I find questions I cannot answer on my own.

Thanks for helping!

1 hour ago, FhMoTa said:

If you are using a two key combo are you using some kind of encoder I assume?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes I have an Xarcade kit that I have been using for quite some time now and it has never given me any issues.  It is this https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-parts/products/x-arcade-build-your-own-arcade-control-panel-kit only I bought mine in a 2 player kit.

The two key combo will be sending another command when combined. If you don't know what it is maybe get the on-screen keyboard on or is there a config program? Once you know this, press this in the Taito config, straight from your normal keyboard.

1 minute ago, FhMoTa said:

The two key combo will be sending another command when combined. If you don't know what it is maybe get the on-screen keyboard on or is there a config program? Once you know this, press this in the Taito config, straight from your normal keyboard.

In mame it says 1+5.  So what you are saying is key 1 and key 5 pressed at the same time = some other key?

How practical it is to just use the Steam versions of the games that are available, the ones that have virtually no issues with controls or bluetooth drivers or really difficulty of any kind and generally have better features.

35 minutes ago, adamg said:

How practical it is to just use the Steam versions of the games that available, the ones that have virtually no issues with controls or bluetooth drivers or really difficulty of any kind and generally have better features.

oh, I have no clue.  I don't have those I have these.  I could always look into it. Maybe.

How practical it is to just use the Steam versions of the games that available, the ones that have virtually no issues with controls or bluetooth drivers or really difficulty of any kind and generally have better features.

Very practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well even if you acquired the steam versions other ways than steam, it is the same as having the Taito versions so legality or cost isn't an issue (though I got most of them through a Humble Bundle for fairly cheap).  To me the only argument is size I suppose.

35 minutes ago, adamg said:

Well even if you acquired the steam versions other ways than steam, it is the same as having the Taito versions so legality or cost isn't an issue (though I got most of them through a Humble Bundle for fairly cheap).  To me the only argument is size I suppose.

Oh I'd pay for them if it wasn't too bad of a price.

6 minutes ago, adamg said:

I think most of them are around $5-$10 but some of them are not available like the Half Life game and some of the other ones.  The Street Fighter games are much better imo but they run a little more expensive.

I am really only interested in a few.  Definitely not the HL one.  I am still playing around with it.  If I can't get it then I will consider my other options.

5 minutes ago, gigapig said:

So the xarcade show up as an encoder, have you tried using the pad config inside the game folders?

And have you also tried setting an exit emulator key in RLUI?

THE MAN HIMSELF RESPONDS!!!

I need to double check when I get home but I believe I have tried the pad config but when I press both buttons at the same time it doesn't register them both.  I was going to try and edit the file it creates but it looked confusing.  I believe I have set an exit emulator key globally.  I did that so long ago though I will also need to double check that.  Will post an update when I get home in about 4 hours.

Quick side note: thanks for making the video guide, I would of never gotten as far as I did without it!

16 hours ago, gigapig said:

So the xarcade show up as an encoder, have you tried using the pad config inside the game folders?

And have you also tried setting an exit emulator key in RLUI?

When I looked at RL it had the default of: ~q & ~s

I changed it to match the to buttons I use on all my emulators and it quazi works.  I launched the game from within rocketlauncher and pressed the buttons.  Rocketlauncher then appears but the game is still running.  I have to press the exit key on the keyboard I have temporarily connected.  I also messed with the exit program in the module/games settings (the spot where you point it to the correct exe for each game) and that had no effect.

Just now, agent47 said:

That's the default Exit Script hotkey, not the Exit Emulator hotkey. The Exit Script function is an emergency shutdown of RL and only RL, the emulator will remain open.

Then I clearly don't know where to look.  Poop.  Okay, I will do some more looking around when I get home. :(

2 minutes ago, agent47 said:

The Exit Emulator Key is on the Global -> Settings tab in RLUI.

Okay, I installed RL on my machine and see where you are talking.  I will check at home what I have there and see if I can get it to work.  Is it possible to use 2 sets of commands IE: ~Esc or ~2 & ~3      Or use a comma instead of "or" ??

That should sort out your exit problems, if not make sure you have the fade title set for each game.

With regards to the game controls, if your encoder is a keyboard encoder then don't you just find out what key each button is sending then load the pad config and use the same keys in there?

48 minutes ago, agent47 said:

Yeah, if you click on the key icon you can add another hotkey.

I want to say I remember doing that but I will check when I get home (unless I can talk the Mrs into turning on the machine so I can remote into it)

47 minutes ago, gigapig said:

That should sort out your exit problems, if not make sure you have the fade title set for each game.

With regards to the game controls, if your encoder is a keyboard encoder then don't you just find out what key each button is sending then load the pad config and use the same keys in there?

So taking Raiden III as the example, I launched the typex_config.exe and run through configuring all the buttons.  That works fine short of I still need to figure out what combo press is causing the screen to rotate (I think it is a windows or AMD GPU thing).  When following your instructions I did notice a slight difference in the fade title spot (you had the older hyperlaunch I believe).  The wife is going to power on my machine at lunch time for me so I can remote in.  We will see what I can find and I will report back.

alrighty, the wife came through for me and I was able to get these 2 screenshots for the exit key

As for the fade title, I was unable to locate the spot until just now.  I will go through your tutorial and make sure it is set properly because I think some are not.

exit2.PNG

exit.PNG

Archived