Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

It looks great. I will be remaking old desk, I have a lot of boards with furniture and will use them. My cockpit is smaller because I have little space in your home. And I'll take the seat of a passenger car.

Thanks for the pictures.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem Pro_Pop - be sure to post your progress when you start :)

I've spent the last couple of hours doing the final fixing of the pedal assembly, dead pedal, carpet and rubber matting. I've also started to prepare the inside of the side pieces. Blackboard vinyl has been applied to one of them:

VinylNose1_zps21081e35.jpg

VinylNose2_zps5f9f2192.jpg

I want to get the two sides finished and glued/ screwed in place before the evening is over.

Coming along nicely! I wish I had enough room to have a rig like that.

Ironically, I have my parents' double garage and lots of tools at my disposal to build things, but my flat is so small I would have to get rid of my sofa and coffee table to fit something like this in it.

Before I attach the sides permanently, I need to be sure I've covered all the bases. To provide some additional base support, I've attached an extra baton underneath the peal assembly - I'll be able to screw and glue higher up which will only add to the stability:

Batton_zpsc50302ef.jpg

I've also decided to paint the internal batons as well just in case any wood is visible. Masked out:

Blackened2_zps9a50dddd.jpg

Flat black paint applied:

Blackened1_zps72bbe7e2.jpg

The sides have been glued and screwed on. Everything still lines up - always best to check as you're going along:

Glued2_zpsdbf7d7f8.jpg

The dashboard will taper upwards and extend forwards slightly when fitted to give the profile a thinner look - I also want to make sure I have enough room for buttons and dials / screen devices etc.

Glued1_zps1bece7ea.jpg

Shot of the bracing for the wheel stem and shelf - there's still a bit to do here. The stability is much improved with the cross braces:

Glued3_zps572122ff.jpg

Such a great build thread...and the speed you're pulling stuff together is remarkable.

Why did you not think to build some adjustability into the wheel shelf as on the pedal unit? Or don't you think it would have offered the stability you needed?

Thanks mattedsmith :) I have (and still am) considering adjustability but will likely go with what I've implemented here, primarily for stability. My previous rig suffered from a bit of flex and this system should be much more stable. Everything else is adjustable so I can work around any limitations.

Pro_Pop, I'm not sure I understood what you meant unfortunately. Regarding the colours, I like to keep things simple (black and which is a 'signature' scheme on my projects) but am using other contrasting colours sparingly on this build.

Just finished designing (and ordered) a badge to sit on the front of the pod. The r-pod Mk II graphic is in chrome (hopefully I've done this correctly!) rather than white. The size is 7cm x 4cm and is domed, covered in acrylic / plastic material:

MyRPODBadge_zps899955ce.jpg

Thanks mattedsmith :) I have (and still am) considering adjustability but will likely go with what I've implemented here, primarily for stability. My previous rig suffered from a bit of flex and this system should be much more stable. Everything else is adjustable so I can work around any limitations.

Yup, I really like how you've made it so adjustable. I have a Game Racer chair and that has the steering wheel on a sliding metal section with a screw down piece to hold it in place. Seems to work, but the reality is that I took so long getting everything in the right place that it never ever gets moved! Keep at it...expecting you to have it finished with 2 bank holidays coming up this weekend

I will not be able to continue with the build for most of the weekend but I have free days today and Monday to make some progress.

A couple of panels have been mostly prepared this morning. This will not be screwed and glued into place fully just yet though.

FrontPanels3_zps18b4d38d.jpg

FrontPanels2_zps6ca2bbe9.jpg

FrontPanels1_zps3f56c92a.jpg

As with the shifter pod, the angles will have sharp edges and will be wrapped in blackboard vinyl.

Finished up for the evening but worked a little later to make up for lost time over the last few days. The shaping for the grill piece is now complete. I will be inserting some aluminium bars into this provided I can source them tomorrow.

Guides attached to the back of the grill:

Grill4_zps7e5f883a.jpg

Trimmed and beveled on the inside edges:

Grill5_zps62081c96.jpg

Beveled on the outer edge:

Grill6_zps9040f33b.jpg

Close-up:

Grill3_zpsd7626ff5.jpg

Hi Pro_Pop, once it's done, I will definitely post a video on YouTube with lots of close-up and distance shots. I need to learn how to record and edit though - I'm sure that will be a fun learning experience.

Thanks for your continued interest and hello Poland!

The grill section is complete aside from filling in a few gaps, painting and cutting the black mesh to sit behind it.

Routed back with inlay for mesh and recesses for the aluminium:

Grill7_zps8e09400e.jpg

Close-up of the recesses (over cut to give a bit of wiggle room to allow the bars to be lined up correctly:

Grill9_zps50432495.jpg

Front:

Grill10_zps89d70165.jpg

With a temporary piece of mesh behind it:

Grill8_zpsfce91e4c.jpg

It will look much better once it's painted black and the mesh is backed by grey vinyl.

Final update for the holiday. Back panel has been cut out to access the inlays. I've glued the outer and inner frames together so I can start to work (fill and paint) on them during the week.

CutOut2_zps6b786ec1.jpg

CutOut1_zpsbd6fc625.jpg

I'm pleased as I managed to complete the components I'd set out to.

Archived