Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Emulators running slower inside HS than on their own or in RL

saint30

Hi everyone.  Long time user of HS but first time poster.  I just upgraded to a better PC in my cabinet and I'm running into issues with HS slowing my game speeds when launching emulators inside HS rather than playing the games directly from the emulators.  I can play Dolphin games at full speed using just the Dolphin app or through RocketLauncher, but when I launch them inside my HS menu, they run much slower, some unplayable.   I am using RL inside HS. Is there a setting to fix this?

I am running an i7 (3.5), 16 gb of RAM and a NVidia 750Ti

Slightly on PS2 emulation, haven't thoroughly tested the others so I'm not sure.  MAME seems to be fine.  Is this a known issue with Dolphin?

I'm noticing that not all games are affected.  Mario Sunshine is bad as are the Rogue Squadron games. 

15 hours ago, Avar said:

Hmm seems bizarre. Have never had this issue. How do you have your Global -> Settings -> Main Settings -> Desktop parameters set?

I don't have a lot of time to test today but I can tell you that all my parameters were set to false so I set most of them to true, including the suspending of HS and now it works on the first game I tested.  I THINK this did the trick.  Thank you very much Avar!

19 hours ago, Avar said:

Np, glad I could help. Still a bit baffled as to why that's happening but hopefully it's a universal fix. Lemme know if the issue returns.

So I tested some other games and the issue is still there.  Rogue Squadron III runs perfectly through Dolphin outside of HS but very sluggish when launched from the HS menu using RL.  It runs ok with just RL too, so it appears to be HS.  Is there other settings I should try?

You could try tweaking your visual settings in HyperHQ but it's strange that anything in hs could be causing chug ig. I just recently upgraded from a 750Ti system myself and never had the issue but did notice HS didn't seem to handle as smoothly at max settings as other cards. GeForce drivers up to date and everything I take it?

19 hours ago, Avar said:

You could try tweaking your visual settings in HyperHQ but it's strange that anything in hs could be causing chug ig. I just recently upgraded from a 750Ti system myself and never had the issue but did notice HS didn't seem to handle as smoothly at max settings as other cards. GeForce drivers up to date and everything I take it?

Yes, all up to date.  I tried running HS visual settings at Medium but didn't do much.  Since HS is technically hibernating while RL is running, I can't seem to understand why it would affect performance unless it's locking up RAM/resources.  I'm not techie enough to know, I just pretend to know what I'm doing.

Starfox was chugging so I rebooted, launched HS and it ran smooth.  Then I loaded Rogue Squadron and it chugged.  I closed HS, loaded Dolphin-->Rogue Squadron and it ran smooth.  Went back to HS and Starfox and it chugged again.

Yeh I'm not comprehending that either yet. Are your roms on the same drive as HyperSpin? Is there anything at all different about how you manually load the roms vs how HS/RL is loading them? Eg. compression, or anything like that?

19 minutes ago, Avar said:

Yeh I'm not comprehending that either yet. Are your roms on the same drive as HyperSpin? Is there anything at all different about how you manually load the roms vs how HS/RL is loading them? Eg. compression, or anything like that?

All Hyperspin files are on a connected G: drive.  I get smooth performance when I manually load roms AND when I load from RL GUI (bypassing HS).  I assume this means the compression or anything else would be nullified.  None of my roms are compressed either.  

I'm curious if I should reinstall HS, however re-doing all my setup seems a bit daunting at this point since I just upgraded last week.

You wouldn't have to re-do the setup or anything if you decide to go that route, just don't overwrite your settings/databases/media. I assume you're running the latest HS version and everything? Have you tried running HyperSpin as administrator?

27 minutes ago, Avar said:

You wouldn't have to re-do the setup or anything if you decide to go that route, just don't overwrite your settings/databases/media. I assume you're running the latest HS version and everything? Have you tried running HyperSpin as administrator?

I have updated to the newest version (July 16). I have not run as admin, where do I make that setting change? I know it's simple but I'm drawing a blank.

1 hour ago, utfalcon said:

I'm having the same issue with dolphin. Runs fine outside of hyperspin but tons of stuttering while hyperspin is running. Alt tabbing back and forth between H.S and dolphin will usually fix the problem. 

There is comfort knowing I'm not the only one.  Admin setting didn't do anything unfortunately.  Let me know if any other fixes arise.  

• 1 year later...

Hai, i have now the same problem.

trough hyperspin 1.4.0 when i launch a game, it is choppy laggy with CPiii system games trough mame.

when i launch it trough rocketlauncher there is no lag or slow speed.

only thing that helps, if i put the resolution lower.

W7 64 bit, i5 GT730 so the rig is strong enough i think?

can somebody help me?

thanks

Ger

Okay, i solved it myself i think.

in the Nvidia settings when you let the software decide it runs slow (only hyperspin with a game that start)

in rocketlauncher there is no choppy or lag in sound.????

so i change the nvidia setting to use my preference emphasizing .....my setting is now Performance.

hope i can help someone else with this answer;)

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:20 PM, Gerurver said:

Okay, i solved it myself i think.

in the Nvidia settings when you let the software decide it runs slow (only hyperspin with a game that start)

in rocketlauncher there is no choppy or lag in sound.????

so i change the nvidia setting to use my preference emphasizing .....my setting is now Performance.

hope i can help someone else with this answer;)

Thank you!, that did the trick!.

Im building a racing cab, and when testing the same thing happened to me, especially supermodel, the sega model 3 emulator. Putting in performance or equilibrate solved the problem.

Archived