Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

HyperSpin install, potential virus infection

the_book

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously people still use that crap? AV programs are so pointless, like putting a bandaid over a bullet wound. There are no viruses or trojans in Hyperspin, RocketLauncher or anything. Just stop, use common sense. Do you think we'd be here putting in the work we do and using infected software knowingly?

Uninstall your useless AV programs and relax. If you ever believe your PC is infected, then temporarly install MalwareBytes and run it in safe mode. If worst comes to worst, then be smart and keep your things backed up on an external drive or on the cloud somewhere, then simply reformat. Big deal.

For the scared people.. get yourself a dedicated machine for hyperspin.. install it and be happy. 

antivirus programs just hog up system resources lol, best way to keep your computer safe is don't get on the internet (dedicated machine). The most I do and it's not 100% but I scan everything I download (the suspect stuff anyways) with the microsoft crap in windows and if it doesn't detect anything I transfer it over to my dedicated machine... you can get a virus from anywhere but 99% of the time anything emulation related is going to be fine because the people behind it put in so much work and it's normally from a trusted source. Downloading Hyperspin from Hyperspin is the last place I'd even think to find a virus. 

I haven't used AV since win 98 lol. I don't see the point in it. Don't download shady stuff from places that are sketchy and you will have no problem.

Yup!!! best advice! most people know which sources to trust... but those folks that just download crap from anywhere almost deserve what they get.

• 2 weeks later...

yea its a bit disturbing to tell my friends hyperspin is the best front end, give him the EXE and then be embarrassed it shows up in norton.

I couldnt believe it myself so I installed norton.

Guys why cant you just open source the code so people can compile it themselves and analyze for malware.

Its not like you guys are going to make tons of money aside from advertisements of people without adblockers on the website.

Dont you guys at least want to see for yourself and recompile the download?  What if your zip files got hacked and malware injected into the EXE on the webserver side?

If you recompile a new test version from source.  Give us the MD5 of the file you zip up on your machine during compilation, we run it through our crappy antivirus programs.  At that point when I check your work, I can submit a claim that there isnt a virus in the software. 

Sucks I use my machine for some non arcade tasks and potentially have a trojan.  I guess Ill consider building a new drive just for hyperspin and keeping it offline.

Really confused by all of the comments here advising against using an Antivirus. That is just terrible advice no matter which way you slice it. "Being careful" doesn't prevent having a virus. Neither does downloading from only "safe" sources, as there is really no such thing. Systems can be injected and many of the botnets and trojans out there are spread through legitimate pathways that have been compromised.
I realize this is my first post here and perhaps I should introduce myself before I go on about what I believe is right or wrong on this forum, so hello everybody this is me AMT. 
My AV (eset) flags this file too as being suspicious and it might very well be a false positive. However, I am currently about to scan it on https://anubis.iseclab.org/ to see what it thinks. 
The biggest issue I have is people advising you to not bother with your AV. That is about the worst advice I have ever heard aside from "jump off a cliff" or "attempt to molest a Buffalo"...  

For anybody who is interested here are the latest VirusTotal scan results of HyperSpin.exe. Anubis won't scan it as the file size is too big and it can't be compressed beyond 10MB. 

You are silly

Hows that Sir? 

Norton is a good AV. So is ESET.
VirusTotal has a 17/53 detection rate, and a couple of months ago the rate was close to double that on an older version of the file. 

I myself believe it to be a false positive as the latest version of the file has had the same detection rate for some time. You see the same with other multi-scanners. Metascan also had a 9/43 detection rate in June and it has remained constant (9/44 now) until today. I would say that is a pretty good bet things are just fine. 

All that being said I would still recommend people to be cautious. Always. Just good advice!

• 2 weeks later...
This version is safe according to norton:

Size: 4,886,793 bytes

Vertsion: 1.0.0

MD5: 7154A804218F069690D684B7AB9E60F6

Yea these new versions these guys compile could possibly have viruses embedded in the zip files from a web hack?  Since the owners of this front end software dont open source it, we cannot verify their builds sitting on the server.

If the owners of this free software are so confident that there is no virus, then just upload the 1.0.0 version to your download section that I put up on this fileupload server.  At least 1.0.0 will pass the virus checks from norton's latest definitions.

This file is apparently safe according to nortion so at least people can utilize the software without default norton quarantining their main hyperspon.exe file.

The authors of this executable should explain what specifically changed at the code level from 1.0.0 to 1.3.3 version which would be deemed a trojan/virus according to norton.  I would be curious what specific parts of the code cause A/V to match as a threat.

Ill stick with this file rather than latest builds.  I dont even see any new features from 1.0.0 to the latest version anyway.

This drop file website says theres a virus on it, but norton doesnt.  

Again, I wish that hyperspin could just open source so we can compile from source.  You guys arent going to lose money by putting the source on github.  No one is going to steal the source and start making money on it or something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can the HyperSpin developers talk to Microsoft and other antivirus companys and tell them no not flag as virus: HyperBrite.exe???

That file gets Quarantined by Windows Defender on each computer I plug my USB HDD.

Thank!!

can the HyperSpin developers talk to Microsoft and other antivirus companys and tell them no not flag as virus: HyperBrite.exe???

That file gets Quarantined by Windows Defender on each computer I plug my USB HDD.

Thank!!

Just set a exception in Windows Defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Thank you.

I did something better..... I contacted Microsoft about the issue and they've removed all the entries from their database, so from signatures 1.213.5083.0 and above, HyperSpin file will no longer be flagged as virus.

So problem solved!

• 3 months later...

Why you have a computer that's running hyperspin with AV installed? Also, that machine should no be used for daily use, such online payments. It should be stand alone. Plus hyperspin is free, the guys that created hyperspin have other important things to worry about.

Why you have a computer that's running hyperspin with AV installed? Also, that machine should no be used for daily use, such online payments. It should be stand alone. Plus hyperspin is free, the guys that created hyperspin have other important things to worry about.

Why wouldn't you. There's no reason not to run AV, especially on systems/cabinets that need to connect to the Internet.

If something gets flagged it's as simple as making an exception for it in your AV.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Why wouldn't you. There's no reason not to run AV, especially on systems/cabinets that need to connect to the Internet.

If something gets flagged it's as simple as making an exception for it in your AV.

Sent from my SM-G935V

True Metalzoic

• 1 month later...

Seriously people still use that crap? AV programs are so pointless, like putting a bandaid over a bullet wound. There are no viruses or trojans in Hyperspin, RocketLauncher or anything. Just stop, use common sense. Do you think we'd be here putting in the work we do and using infected software knowingly?

Uninstall your useless AV programs and relax. If you ever believe your PC is infected, then temporarly install MalwareBytes and run it in safe mode. If worst comes to worst, then be smart and keep your things backed up on an external drive or on the cloud somewhere, then simply reformat. Big deal.

Your suggestions are only valid for experienced users.  The average user does not have the wisdom to not click on suspicious looking links and will infect their PC in a matter of weeks after a fresh install.  

I know this as I am a Technician and I am constantly amazed as to what my customers will click on and blindly install.  For these type of users AV is a must.  I have tried to get them to run Malwarebytes once every fortnight 

to help keep their machines clean.  1 out of 30 users took notice and runs malwarebytes.  The rest seem to be oblivious and don't even remember me requesting and showing them how to run it.

So you should be cautious of touting "Seriously people still use that crap? AV programs are so pointless"  As it is not true for the vast majority of users.

I would agree that if a user is at the level of trying to configure a MAME front end then they would hopefully have enough experience to avoid most obvious infections.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone still cares about this. I have a direct link through my job to Kaspersky for submitting suspicious files, so I submitted HyperBrite.exe for review as a false positive yesterday, and Kaspersky confirmed today that it is in fact not malicious, and is updating their detection definitions to fix this, should be updated later today.

• 3 months later...

I just decided to try HyperSpin. Downloaded it and unpacked it. Boom: Alert from Microsoft Security Essentials, and HyperSpin.exe is gone (quarantined).

Looks like this has been an ongoing problem for HyperSpin for 2.5+ years based on this thread.

Sorry, guys, but that concludes my test of HyperSpin. This may very well be a false positive, but I want software that just works. I don't want to have to whitelist software in my anti-virus on the multiple machines I'd use this on. (And for those of you who are wont to suggest simply not using AV... Umm... No. That's simply a non-starter for family machines used by kids.)

tl;dr: HyperSpin looks like it could be cool, but until y'all can get rid of the AV false positives I, and many others like me, simply won't use it.

Really, there is no malware inside HS, but HS is a software that has a "suspicious" behaviour (it launches commandline, loads external files and so on).

The only thing you should do to be 100% safe is prevent HS accessing the internet using windows firewall. HS DOES NOT access internet BUT .swf runnning inside HS can access internet. For example there are some weather widgets released by marcoqwerty and ninja2bceen based on my as3 code that connects to yahoo! weather to get weather forecast inside hyperspin.

If you have some doubts about a .swf obviously you can disassemble it to check if some code is running in it (very few themes contains code, i think only my "Aeon Nox XIII" and "pure" relies on additional code running inside HS).

I think I'm going to follow Endiel on this.

As evaluation I am trying others like Maximus Arcade as well and no other FE reports to be a virus and yet they found way of starting other programs and run scripts as well.

I think you should rethink the way your software works.

Before then, this is so much I can say about Hyperspin.

Files deleted...

• 1 year later...

yes avirus toyano 

si es un virus del tipo troyano que espia, lo que pasa es que en versiones viejas no trae nada de virus ni troyano solo las versiones nuevas traen virus troyano lo malo que las versiones viejas solo son compatibles al 100% con windows xp y no con windows 8 o 10, dejen de hacer programas con virus virus

• 5 months later...
On 4/4/2014 at 1:37 AM, DamnedRegistrations said:

You honestly think we'd all be here, doing the work that we do while using virus infected software? Come on, use some common sense and have a look around.

It's called a false positive, something most AV programs can't seem to distinguish between real threats. Tell your silly program to ignore them and relax. There are no trojans, viruses or any such infections in Hyperspin.

No I would honestly think you would take the very simple steps that would get it unflagged.

Archived