Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Modify controller setup for RetroArch on Shield

djdaveoc

Hi all,

I got RetroArch installed on my 2 Shields yesterday and can launch games.  The buttons on the Shield controller are not setup well by default.  For example I want to set the A and B buttons of the classic NES controller to be in different places on the Shield controller from where the default is.  Anyone know of a recently made (so it's still valid) YouTube video that shows how to customize a controller in RetroArch Android and save those settings?

Or can you walk me through it by a good, detailed explanation here?  I don't have a ton of time to spend to get this running but that may be my last step left is getting the controls setup.

Thanks in advance

What exact version of Retroarch are you using??? 

There are MANY options for setting up retroarch controls, I think you are a bit to soon on the update for ANY good guide on this yet, although remaps have been around for ages. Good current guides are thin on the ground. 

There are a couple of new options in the settings somewhere to swap A&B around in menu and also in the core mappings. It's an obvious option but i have not had time to play with it or remember where it is off hand.

the best way is to use the remap system.

load a game up first

hit menu-> quick menu -> controls

all your current button mapping a are listed under the user

scroll left and right to change the selected button

the save it as a core remap or game remap.

resume content just to give RA time to save things.

go back to menu close content and quit retroarch (check save on exit is ON under "settings-> configurations"

these will then get loaded next time you launch them.

i have some info on this stuff at emulationguide.com

its specifically for 1.3.6 retroarch but may help you a little

The version of RA I have is the current one that would get pushed out from the Google Play store.  I logged into it on a PC and told it to install RA on both my Shields.  How do I get menus to appear from within a game in RA Android?  I'm using the Nvidia Shield and there controller.  I don't know what button to press to get any RA options to appear.  Also, once I save the settings while playing that specific game, will they be that way indefinitely for just the game, just that system (for example NES, or for every system and game I play in RA on my Shield?  I'll have time to mess with this when I get home in a couple hours and will try to figure it out based on your help so far.  I'm wondering though if you're both using an old version that has a much different interface from the current RA.  If either of you has time to check, please let me know.  This is why I don't like RA however, it should be simple to change controls and it's not.  You practically need a degree and hours of research and experiment to figure this out and when I tired several months ago it seemed buggy and wasn't working right anyway.  I may give this about 30-minutes and if I can't get it working right that will be the last time ever I try to install RA.  It reminds me of Kodi.  Tons of horribly designed and complicated interfaces that have 10x more options than needed and you need a degree to figure out how to use half of them.  Why can't programmers make something simple to use that will actually be fun?

Yeah, this is way too complicated.  I think whoever programmed RetroArch is smoking crack.  Thanks guys but I'll go back to using individual emulators.  I don't have 10-hours just to get 2-buttons remapped the way I want and having to setup controls per game, talk about a nightmare.  I appreciate those trying to help.  People really need an exact step-by-step like litterly click this, click that (from a to z) to get this working.  I just don't have a few days to devote to this.

It takes 5mins to set up controllers in retroarch.... even easier now the update saves core on exit and it can actually be read without re-directing.

simply run game.... then press the Green shield button, that should take you into retro arch.

scroll along the main menu by one, then scroll down till you get to controls (might say input) scroll down to bind player 1 controls and simply bind the buttons you want. Exit retroarch and it should save job done. Do this for each system

5 hours ago, djdaveoc said:

The version of RA I have is the current one that would get pushed out from the Google Play store.  I logged into it on a PC and told it to install RA on both my Shields.  How do I get menus to appear from within a game in RA Android?  I'm using the Nvidia Shield and there controller.  I don't know what button to press to get any RA options to appear.  Also, once I save the settings while playing that specific game, will they be that way indefinitely for just the game, just that system (for example NES, or for every system and game I play in RA on my Shield?  I'll have time to mess with this when I get home in a couple hours and will try to figure it out based on your help so far.  I'm wondering though if you're both using an old version that has a much different interface from the current RA.  If either of you has time to check, please let me know.  This is why I don't like RA however, it should be simple to change controls and it's not.  You practically need a degree and hours of research and experiment to figure this out and when I tired several months ago it seemed buggy and wasn't working right anyway.  I may give this about 30-minutes and if I can't get it working right that will be the last time ever I try to install RA.  It reminds me of Kodi.  Tons of horribly designed and complicated interfaces that have 10x more options than needed and you need a degree to figure out how to use half of them.  Why can't programmers make something simple to use that will actually be fun?

Kodi isn't complicated and RA isn't now..... used to be very but isn't now. Sometimes tho people want everything laid on a plate without doing any research themselves

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, thatman84 said:

If you think Retroarch is tough wait till you want to setup mess within mame within retroarch :)

Anything emulation takes time to learn & Retroarch is very well layed out now with all the tool tips on every option it's great you just need to read some stuff

Not even looked at yet, always use MAME4Droid for that but need to sort RA out as I know it supports more

On 2017-02-04 at 5:26 PM, djdaveoc said:

Yeah, this is way too complicated.  I think whoever programmed RetroArch is smoking crack.  Thanks guys but I'll go back to using individual emulators.  I don't have 10-hours just to get 2-buttons remapped the way I want and having to setup controls per game, talk about a nightmare.  I appreciate those trying to help.  People really need an exact step-by-step like litterly click this, click that (from a to z) to get this working.  I just don't have a few days to devote to this.

The RetroArch devs are not "smoking crack", they have created an amazing system.  It does not take "days" to configure the controls, you just need common sense.  If it takes you days, you're better off not using it.  Your comments are insulting to the devs that spend so much time on this and you want everything handed to you on a platter otherwise you post comments like this.

Archived