Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

computer requirements question

craiganderson

Hello. I am looking to purchase a "new" desktop to use to ONLY run Hyperspin for MAME (including .chd games). No other systems at all.

(i do not need to run all of the bells/whistles that hyperspin offer ...just fyi) 

Does anybody have a recommendation for the cheapest option to achieve that goal??? 

I have an external hard drive with all of the roms/chd files already.

I also have a spare " MSI GTX 760 graphics card" to add to the system as well. I do not need monitor, keyboard etc...just the desktop.

thanks in advance,

craiganderson

• 1 month later...

how about this one to play MAME (includeing CHDs)??
(playing anything else would be a bonus)

Make: Clone/Gigabyte
Model: GA-8KNXP V2
Processor: Pentium 4 HT 3.2 GHz 800MHz FSB, Hyper threading ( runs like a dual core)
Ram: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 570 GB total, 320 GB & 250 GB ( can be upgraded for a little bit more)
Video: Nvidia GeForce 7300GT
Audio: Digital Integrated Surround Sound
Drives: DVD Rom & DVD/RW Drive, 250 Zip drive, 3.5 HD 1.44
Ports: Gig LAN, 6-USB, 2 Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 IEEE 1394 port

i hAVE A " MSI GTX 760 graphics card " THAT i could add...but not sure if better or worse than one already in there

also...i guess i could add more ram

thanks in advance

I use 4 gigs. My rig is a dual core 3rd gen i5 3.5ghz so that is 4 threads and I get a little stutter in mame sometimes with the crazy intensive stuff like gauntlet legends or golden tee.

Not a direct answer but maybe it helps.

Rbelmont (long standing MAMEdev) recommended that an i7 6700k is plenty to run everything that is currently playable in MAME right now. Not to mention that will run HS with all the bells and whistles no problem.

Those PC's you're posting would of been sufficient back in the 106 days but MAME is much more demanding now.

How's that game room with the physical consoles coming along?

What are a couple of the most "computer taxing/challenging" MAME games currently out there (roms and/or chd)? My wife has an i5 16GBram desktop that might not be needed once she decides on a new laptop so I would like to test it out with some of the tougher MAME games to run.

thanks in advance

What are a couple of the most "computer taxing/challenging" MAME games currently out there (roms and/or chd)? My wife has an i5 16GBram desktop that might not be needed once she decides on a new laptop so I would like to test it out with some of the tougher MAME games to run.

thanks in advance

Golden tee 2006

Gauntlet legends / dark legacy imho

I would add Gradius 4 onto Dougan's list. Don't be fooled like I was playing the first 2 minutes of the first stage and thinking you're ok. If you can get through the first stage completely while staying at 100, you should be good.

Also CV1000 titles. Specifically Muchi Muchi Pork.

All the Blitz Titles. 

Oh and for giggles, try Star soldier with the Aleck64 driver. Good Luck with that one.,

Archived