Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

MAME Software List Renaming Project

thatman84

So this problem has been around for a long time. Any console type system that doesn't have an android emulator but runs in RetroArch mame cores needs all media renaming to MAME short names to match the relevant Hash file.

Circo has given the thumbs up for storing the files on the EmuMovies FTP (Thanks @Circo)

Located /Upload Here/_Other/Thatman84_HSAndroid

Standards are still up for discussion but this is how I am laying out the renamed files right now

_FINISHED
SYSTEM NAME/
                         Videos
                         Wheels
                         Boxart
(If availiable)
                         Cartart (If availiable)
                         Databases/
                                           System Name Databse/

EVERYTHING will be based off Phulshoff's MAME/MESS XMLS 0.182 & those originals will be kept in the Databases folder

The Database named ready for Hyperspin will be a version of Phulshoff's MAME WITHOUT game entries that have no wheel artwork. If a system has no artwork then I may list it here or add a database to the ftp.

Found Here under MAME XML and Include

The _Unsorted folder should follow the above format so its easy to check whats there ready for moving to _FINISHED

Credits
Reznate
Sonkun
Badhemi

FINISHED SYSTEMS

Bally Astrocade

Fairchild Channel F

SNK Neo Geo CD

Atari 5200

Amstrad GX4000

Bandia Super Vision 8000

Casio PV-1000

VTech CreatiVision

Hartung Game Master

RCA Studio II (DB needs work)

To Do List
Philips CDi

Entex Adventure Vision
Emerson Arcadia 2001 
Epoch Super Cassette Vision
Funtech Super A'can 
Mattel Intellivision
handhelds

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

So this problem has bee around for a long time. Any console type system that doesn't have an android emulator but runs in RetroArch mame cores needs all media renaming to MAME short names to match the relevant Hash file.

Things to sort:-

• Standards and Structure of project
  • Location of files

I'm thinking for standards we just try to use the best artwork availiable at Hyperspin or EmuMovies and use the best xml we can find. Then remove anything that does not have artwork from the XML.

Im going to base everything off Phulshoff's MAME/MESS XMLS 0.182 (deleting entries with no artwork)

I have a folder on the EmuMovies FTP /Upload Here/_Other/Thatman84_HSAndroid

Untill I get told not too I will drop everything there.

WIP folder is there & a finished folder

@sonkun

FINISHED SYSTEMS

Bally Astrocade

Am I able to upload files to your ftp folder? If so then yes that would definitely make things easier and I also plan to use Phulshoff's files to help me rename the box arts and things. Depending on how things go this could turn into a nice little project.

10 minutes ago, agent47 said:

Why not just create a key file for each system listing the matched shortname to the official xml/media names? Then a simple script could be used to auto rename all the media based on that instead of wasting a bunch of space on the ftp with identical files.

Agent you know my capabilities! They do not extend past knuckle dragging business.

Also its easier for other sub par people like me to just grab the sets rather than use a script.

I'm all ears to a solution though

Just to add in I also believe this project should be as user friendly as possible so that even someone new to hyperspin can come to this thread and get their mess cores up and running with little to no trouble. Maybe at some point this thread can even be stickied after putting in a more in-deapth tutorial from start to finish.

Edit: thatman84 you might want to update your list of finished systems, I just uploaded all of SNK Neo Geo CD including videos to your ftp folder ?

8 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@sonkun Did you add SNK NGCD?

I just added Channel F. Take a look at the format so we can add some extra infor like the original databases and any unmatched artwork

Yes that was me that added that. I'll take a look at your work in a few. I just confirmed that Amstrad GX4000 works and that games can be loaded through the hyperspin wheel so that's my next system to work on.

I think my next one will be RCA Studio II

There is the possibility of this script thing working out.

Sounds like we would have to create a text file listing all short names and their matching long name.

Then the script would rename all the diferent medias. If that works out we may change how we do things

I was about to ask what are those unmatched folders for but then I read the game list notes. Everything looks good and ready to go to me. I used rom manager to check if all folders, files were correct or to see if anything was missing when I finished working on the neo geo cd files. When I set up my Channel F core I'll be able to get a better look at your files. But from what I see it looks good. Personally I feel that since we're keeping this project android based I believe the only xml file that's need is the original hyperspin ready xml's in this just the "Fairchild Channel F" xml for universal simplicity if that makes any sense. Other xml options are always good too I guess

15 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I think my next one will be RCA Studio II

There is the possibility of this script thing working out.

Sounds like we would have to create a text file listing all short names and their matching long name.

Then the script would rename all the diferent medias. If that works out we may change how we do things

Try it out and let me know how it goes

Cool, I just updated a misspelt wheel robotwar had a p on the end.

the reason for the extra databases is that if someone's what's to run full romsets as per MAME then they can. Also ther peopl may have artwork for those games that Hypersync or website don't have. Doubtful but for a couple of extra xml's it's no biggie 

7 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Cool, I just updated a misspelt wheel robotwar had a p on the end.

the reason for the extra databases is that if someone's what's to run full romsets as per MAME then they can. Also ther peopl may have artwork for those games that Hypersync or website don't have. Doubtful but for a couple of extra xml's it's no biggie 

Oh ok. I'll probably follow suit and do the same when I add new systems.

6 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I don't have knowledge for it but I will keep my eye out. 

I also have no knowledge on that so until then I'll just keep going the old fashioned way.

Just used your Bally Astrocade folders and everything works like a charm. I also found some game carts and added them to your ftp folder. Now that I'm a little used to how to get mess/mame up and running seeing as to how pretty much every system is set up exactly the same way I can start getting more systems into the ftp. My next one to work on is Atari 5200

19 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I'v had Atari 5200 setup for a while but it was the 1st I setup so need to check the art & database out to get the changes listed. 

Yeah it's cool once you have the right process. I think there are some harder systems to do though

Hmm so should I just hold off on that until you put your folders up? If so I'll tackle another system.

Edit: Pick one of the hard systems, I'll put everything I learned to the test on that one

Yeah may as well hold on Atari that will be fairly easy.

i will do that and RCA Studio II

maybe tackle the Handhelds. Would be cool to get those sorted. Check out my Working and Non-Working threads. I think there is only 1 handheld not working.

as a sideline I would like to update those threads with extra info on exe/parameter line, bios files needed and any specific issues. Focus on mame and do the other systems that have emus as and when we can.

its great to have someone else helping out with this stuff I had lost interest but now I'm feeling it again. :) 

Yeah, the moment I got that Neo Geo CD up and running I think my calling came lol. I never even knew mame could emulate so many systems, that's one of the reasons for my excitement and participation in this project. Plus it feels good knowing that any system that I get up and running all other new android members will be able to get set up as well with ease, it's a win-win for everyone. I'll also try to help get some of those parameter threads worked out along with you in time as well

But back on topic I believe this is the non working thread

I see 3 handhelds there on that list. 
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Emulator =
Playability =
Device =

Sega VMU (Dreamcast peripheral)
Emulator =
Playability =
Device =

Sony PocketStation (PlayStation Peripheral)

Assuming they all work in mess I can start on one of those, or maybe a different system if you want.

9 hours ago, sonkun said:

Yeah, the moment I got that Neo Geo CD up and running I think my calling came lol. I never even knew mame could emulate so many systems, that's one of the reasons for my excitement and participation in this project. Plus it feels good knowing that any system that I get up and running all other new android members will be able to get set up as well with ease, it's a win-win for everyone. I'll also try to help get some of those parameter threads worked out along with you in time as well

But back on topic I believe this is the non working thread

I see 3 handhelds there on that list. 
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Emulator =
Playability =
Device =

Sega VMU (Dreamcast peripheral)
Emulator =
Playability =
Device =

Sony PocketStation (PlayStation Peripheral)

Assuming they all work in mess I can start on one of those, or maybe a different system if you want.

Ah nice work.

Those Handhels look pointless to start on...

I have updated the 1st post with a little to do list, I have updated Bally Astrocade as it had some issues. Channel F and SNK Neo Geo CD are done and I changed the folder layout a little.

I also added a standard database notes.txt that just need the Number of games in the xml adding to it each time we do a new one.

Maybe you could line up GX4000 with the rest and pick a system you want to do off the (Android) Working Systems List.

I'm going to take Atari 5200 and RCA Studio II this week the find another one after that

On 2/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, thatman84 said:

Ah nice work.

Those Handhels look pointless to start on...

I have updated the 1st post with a little to do list, I have updated Bally Astrocade as it had some issues. Channel F and SNK Neo Geo CD are done and I changed the folder layout a little.

I also added a standard database notes.txt that just need the Number of games in the xml adding to it each time we do a new one.

Maybe you could line up GX4000 with the rest and pick a system you want to do off the (Android) Working Systems List.

I'm going to take Atari 5200 and RCA Studio II this week the find another one after that

I actually have a few more systems done already. Just need to maybe fix a few things here and there then I'll upload them to the unsorted folder so you can check them out.

Updated ChannelF with a game-core-option file to allow using the democrt1 rom to launch into the BIOS and play the integrated Hockey & Tennis game

Added it to the Database and renamed the Media

@sonkun added GX4000 and I added Atari 5200 to the finished list

Just added Bandai Super Vision 8000, Casio PV-1000 and VTech CreatiVision to the ftp. I started working on Sharp X68000 as that also works through Hyperspin (although that system runs very sluggish) with controller support  and has some very obscure games (over 1000) I've wanted to try. Might take a while so I'll work on it off and on. Not sure which system I'll pick next but I see your to-do list. When I decide on one I'll let you know so that we both don't end up doing it. Also Sega SG 1000 works on the Genesis Plus GX core.

Archived