Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

RetroArch - can't change System/BIOS

aftermath17

I upgraded to RetroArch 1.4.1.  It kept my custom path for my System/BIOS folder for RetroArch when launched by itself.  When I launch through Hyperspin, the path has been reset to /data/data/com.retroarch/system.  I want to change this to /storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/system (sdcard/RetroArch/system).  I can't because there is no way to browse that folder through the interface.  When I click to change it, the only path options available are:

/data/data/com.retroarch

/storage

/

None of those will allow me to browse to /storage/emulated/0.  If I click into storage > emulated, 0 never displays because the Android OS doesn't have access to /storage/emulated.  I also can't directly edit the cfg because it's in /data/data which I also don't have access to.  How can this be changed?  Or, how does RetroArch generate the list of folders as default when I click to change a path?

Hi

I'm having the exact same issue when trying to play a CD base game. The fix for this was to start a game in Hyperspin that doesn't require a bios and go into RetroArch bios setting (which defaults to  /data/data/com.retroarch) but any attempt to change this to my preferred location is not allowed because hitting the "/"  results in an empty screen with <use this directory> and nothing else.  Im currently trying to set this up on the Nvidia Sheld TV 2017 500G.

Thanks, :)

6 hours ago, Pouteur said:

My device isn't rooted and i can go there

Yes you can go to "/" but you can't start navigating further up the tree, you're stuck there.  I can provide a screenshot, you definitely can't navigate.  I can see why, we don't even have read writes to "/".

2 hours ago, talonx32 said:

Hi

I'm having the exact same issue when trying to play a CD base game. The fix for this was to start a game in Hyperspin that doesn't require a bios and go into RetroArch bios setting (which defaults to  /data/data/com.retroarch) but any attempt to change this to my preferred location is not allowed because hitting the "/"  results in an empty screen with <use this directory> and nothing else.  Im currently trying to set this up on the Nvidia Sheld TV 2017 500G.

Thanks, :)

Yes, same issue.  I resolved this by moving my RetroArch system folder and config folder to my external HD (where I store all my Hyperspin stuff).  I just created a RetroArch folder there and added folders for system and config.  Then I pointed my "standalone" RetroArch system and config folders there as well as my "Hyperspin" RetroArch folders there.  Now everything works and should always work because I always have access to my external drive by navigating via /storage.

I think I remember testing this the other day. Any game launching retroarch from Hyperspin uses the retroarch.cfg in the data/data root folder and navigating around the directories does not work.

you do as above I guess but I didn't try that. The other fix is to use the duel config trick I posted in emulators forum. That will let you change most directories 

2 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

Yes, same issue.  I resolved this by moving my RetroArch system folder and config folder to my external HD (where I store all my Hyperspin stuff).  I just created a RetroArch folder there and added folders for system and config.  Then I pointed my "standalone" RetroArch system and config folders there as well as my "Hyperspin" RetroArch folders there.  Now everything works and should always work because I always have access to my external drive by navigating via /storage.

Thanks, When I get home ill try this method. 

Ok I tried to copy the system and config folder on the device but when I navigated to the /sdcard/Andriod/data/com.retroarch/files I don't see a system folder but I do see the config files, am I in the right area?

Anyway I create a system and config folder were I have my "hyperspin"  and RetroArch installed. I copies the config file over and started up RetroArch went into the config setting > pointed to the new location were I place the files in including the bios settings then I quit RetroArch. I open up Hyperspin and started a genesis game, I press the button to go into RetroArch to see if it was pointing to my config file but it was showing the original default path. I tried to change it to where I put the bios and the config file but it just show the same option as before. I know I probably miss something or maybe I need to reinstall RetroArch so I'm going to try again tonite.    

If you're changing your Retroarch core directory within Hyperspin then also remember to hit "Save core overrides" in the Quick Menu before quiting that way your settings actually saves. At least that's how it works for me using retroarch 1.4.1

On 2017-02-14 at 5:48 AM, Pouteur said:

My device isn't rooted and i can go there

Yes you can choose "/" but you can't list the contents in the directory nor can you continue browsing after "/", regular users do not have list, read or write privileges to the root folder.  I just tried this on a second Shield, it does not work.

• 3 months later...

Archived