Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Keyboard and Joystick randomly become unresponsive

jevansoh

About once an hour or so my keyboard and xbox 360 controller will totally become unresponsive after exiting a game and I can no longer control Hyperspin.  The only thing I can do is press the windows key on the keyboard then right click on the hyperspin icon and close it.  So the keyboard is still working fine and as soon as I start HS back up again, the keyboard and controller work fine again for a while, but sooner or later it happens all over again.

It always happens when exiting a game.  It's not locked up or anything, rather just totally unresponsive to keyboard/controller.  It's not that it has lost focus or anything like that, either.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I use JoyToKey though.

But it's not just the controller that stops responding, it's the actual keyboard, too.

So while it could have something to do with JoyToKey, I'd be surprised and wouldn't know exactly where to look because it happens with the keyboard itself, too.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome at this point.

Thanks,

--J

It's not that it lost focus, because I can click on it, the music is still playing, the videos are still playing, etc.

I can make sure it's in focus with alt-tab (the keyboard works, it's just that HS doesn't respond to the keyboard or controller) because that's what I thought it was, too, but it makes no difference.

I'm using Windows 10 x64, btw.

Thanks for your input!  Much appreciated.

--J

It's happening randomly on any emulator.  It happens when I exit a game.  That's the only consistent thing about it.

I have Xpadder 5.7 but have no clue how to use it.  I got to the point where I have the controller itself set up but have no idea how to integrate it properly with Hyperspin.

Do you know of any guides or anything to help integrate it with HS?

Spawk has a wonderful tutorial for JoyToKey which is why I ended up using that.

I'm willing to try Xpadder again, though, if only I can figure it out.

Thanks,

--J

52 minutes ago, jevansoh said:

I already use JoyToKey for HyperSpin controls.  I have the joystick controls in HyperHQ disabled because I was told that was broken/didn't work right.

Is that what you mean or did you mean something else?

Thanks,

--J

Yep that's what I meant. Unfortunately I am stumped at this point. Unless there is some hardware limitations on your PC that are causing HS to become unstable.

Ok, maybe someone else will have some ideas.

In the mean time, I'll try to get xpadder going again.  I got to the point where I test everything from RLUI and it all worked, but I didn't know what to name the profiles in xpadder.

In JoyToKey there is a place to associate a profile with a program (hyperspin) but I didn't see an option for that in Xpadder.  Do you know how to do that? 

If I load Xpadder before I start hyperspin, I can get it to work to control hyperspin until I enter a game.  Then once I'm in a game, it no longer works.  If I use the keyboard to exit a game, it no longer works to control hyperspin.  It won't load automatically.

I have the default, RL, and HS profiles set up and can test them by clicking the green lighting bolt looking icon and they work, but they don't seem to be loading.

Do you by chance know what I'm missing or can you point me to a good tutorial?  I can't seem to find one.  I would like to try Xpadder instead of JoyToKey to see if that is what is causing some of the problems I've had.

Also, I had to set Xpadder to compatibility mode (I use Windows 10 x64) in order to work.  Is that normal?

Thanks,

--J

Now when I exit a game, I'm getting an error from Xpadder saying, "Auto profile scan thread failed to stop.  This error should never occur."

There's also an "Access violation" message that pops up.

It works to control HS until I enter a game then exit the game.  Then this error pops up every single time.

I have some new information.

It looks like we might have been going down the wrong path thinking it was JoyToKey causing the problem.

The keyboard/joystick just stopped working on me again.  This time it was all of a sudden while I was browsing through games.

When it happened this time, I took the opportunity to totally close JoyToKey but the keyboard still didn't respond after that.

The only thing I could do was close HyperSpin and restart it.  I waited and waited and made sure it was in focus but there was nothing I could do.

Closing JoyToKey didn't fix it, so I wonder what else it could be?

Thanks,

--J

After using HS a lot more over the last several days, I believe now that it isn't just the keyboard/mouse that has stopped responding, rather HS is getting locked up.

It still seems to happen when exiting games most often (99.9% of the time) but a few minutes ago it locked up right in the middle of a transition from one game to the next in the theme and while the keyboard/mouse did stop responding, it just looked like a regular lockup.

What would/could cause HS to lock up completely?

The only thing I could do was press the windows key on the keyboard and close HS then reopen it and all was fine.

I have no idea where to begin looking for causes of lockups of the program.

Should I start a new thread since I now believe the problem is different than the title of this thread and the troubleshooting steps from this thread didn't pan out?

I don't want to be accused of bumping the thread or creating a new one if it isn't appropriate, but I really don't know how to proceed in asking for help at this point.

Thanks,

--J

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, I never found a solution.  I bumped my thread a few times because nobody had any suggestions and got in trouble for that.  Then when nobody ever responded, I just gave up.

If you find a solution and can post it here, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks,

--J

Hey jevansoh. Im just thinking out loud. In order to pinpoint the issue, you should try to isolate it.

I would try disabling RL, joy2key, and any other 3rd party app, so that HS is the only thing running and handling games (besides the emu).

Set up basic keyboard buttons for HS and for the emu you are using. Run HS and check in the task manager that no other related app is running. Then launch a game and once in the emu check again the task manager (in case the emu triggered something as well).

Let me know how it goes and what happens when you go back to HS.

Also check running HS regularly and as an admin.

• 3 months later...

Archived