Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

MAME setting "sliders"? for HLSL effects?

Nocturnaloner

Agreed - do as SS said above. If you can set up MAME then u can do mess. It's just a case of setting mess as the emulator in HLHQ and then in global module settings change the parts you want for each system you want to use mess for. Most you will use the same settings unless there are systems you don't want hlsl or bezels enabled etc

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry bro, I mentioned a few posts up that I've never really got it working very well, and what I did get working was just luck I think.

Here's a thread with some info and links on it, I may do something in the future, who knows.

Thanks for the compliment :cheers:

Funny you say that, cause I have been trying to get MESS working with Creatronic Mega Duck (handheld simulator.) have all bioses matching current version. 158 and I get nothing but 'Error: Call to nonexistent function' even with the proper module. So I guess I share your dilemma as well regarding MESS (well sorta.) Thanks for the response and also your screen shot worked regarding HLSL mame shaders within HyperSpin.

@Potts43 and ShowStopper will implement your suggestions. I thought I would have a harder time setting up OpenBOR, MUGEN, ActionMax or Daphne. Nope! Just little old MESS.........

Thanks guys,

HyperManX

Once you run a game press tab. The mess system menu will appear. You then get a mess.ini (global settings) and a system.ini eg atari 2600.ini or atari 7800.ini etc etc. you can then edit them in a text editor like notepad ++ and have settings per system. It might be worth downloading messgui which you unzip to mess folder. It's just a gui for mess. It might give you some pointers as to what's in mess.ini

Once you run a game press tab. The mess system menu will appear. You then get a mess.ini (global settings) and a system.ini eg atari 2600.ini or atari 7800.ini etc etc. you can then edit them in a text editor like notepad ++ and have settings per system. It might be worth downloading messgui which you unzip to mess folder. It's just a gui for mess. It might give you some pointers as to what's in mess.ini

I am able to get MESS to work fine in HyperLaunchHQ and outside of HL perfectly fine. I just cannot get it to work in HyperSpin at all. I get 'Error: Call to nonexistent function' error message. I even got mess modules from other members in the forum and put those in my modules folder. No go, same error. But I will follow the others you just gave me to make sure I am not overlooking anything vital. Thanks again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50102[/ATTACH]

@showstopper I am going to take a look at my mess.ini right now. I kinda gave up on mess but it supports so many emulators that I want to try and get it working. I have mame working fine with roms, chd's and all.

Yes. Just did a pull right now and see that there was a change to the new pinball arcade module and a new update to HyperLaunchHQ.plugin but yes. I right click on hyperlaunch-3 folder frequently.

Am I suppose to have a mess.ini file in hyperspin\settings folder? Because if I am, then there is my problem and will feel like a complete moron haha..

I do have Creatronic Mega Duck.ini in Hyperspin\settings folder which uses mess as the emulator?

Perhaps it's time to post your log set to troubleshoot - someone will be able to see a solution I'm certain...

Nevermind got it working. Finally... I had some incorrect settings in HyperHQ but remembered I finally fixed my mess.ini and forgot to switch everything back. I had execution set to normal. Hey potts43 and showstopper, thanks for your time and help. I appreciate it immensely. To everyone else sorry for hijacking this thread.

HyperManX

• 1 year later...

hi all,

kinda new to this so apologies in advance if i have missed something obvious.

i have updated HLSL settings through ini however i have watched many videos where everyone is able to customize settings through the slide controls whilst in game, this doesnt work for me for some reason i only have a handful of settings available through this method majority of settings are missing Please help me.

Had a similar issue.

Make sure you're running a recent mame version.

HLSL requires mame running in in directX mode. My windows 10 computer was running directX 11 but mame uses DX9. I installed the old runtime and then the sliders appeared.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:14 PM, nabs said:

hi all,

kinda new to this so apologies in advance if i have missed something obvious.

i have updated HLSL settings through ini however i have watched many videos where everyone is able to customize settings through the slide controls whilst in game, this doesnt work for me for some reason i only have a handful of settings available through this method majority of settings are missing Please help me.

6 hours ago, l0cut15 said:

Had a similar issue.

Make sure you're running a recent mame version.

HLSL requires mame running in in directX mode. My windows 10 computer was running directX 11 but mame uses DX9. I installed the old runtime and then the sliders appeared.

First... holy hell for reviving an ancient thread from 2014. Much of this thread info doesn't even apply anymore.

2nd. If the sliders aren't all showing for you it's possible that you don't have HLSL even turned on in the ini file/MAME settings. If you don't (or if you have GLSL turned on instead) you will only have the normal options with no sliders

Also, you can change HLSL settings using the sliders to see what looks good on a per-game basis, but MAME will not save those slider settings. You'll need to write them down and then manually change them in the ini. In general your single HLSL settings should be fine for the vast majority of games (one ini each for vertical games, horizontal games & vector games) . However if you want specific titles to have their own HLSL settings then you'll need to create a separate ini for that specific game.

Personally I got tired of having to re-configure and perfect my HLSL files with every new version of MAME (since HLSL settings don't necessarily transfer from version to version). So now I mostly use GLSL and only use HLSL for specific games that need it to look their best.

And L0cut that's interesting info. Was that on a brand new PC that came with Win 10 out of the box?

• 1 year later...

"However if you want specific titles to have their own HLSL settings then you'll need to create a separate ini for that specific game."

I have searched hi and low and have found no easy explanation of how to do that in a way that works for me

I copied my Mame Ini for example - named it MSLUG to match my working Metal Slug Rom - then Ichanged the HLSL settings in my newly created Mslug ini file ,saved it into my Ini Folder ( after that failed to do anything I then placed in the Ini/ Presets folder )  relaunched Metal Slug and it pulls the same HLSL setting from the default Mame ini everytime.

Surely there is a simple way to do this?

13 hours ago, Wotto said:

"However if you want specific titles to have their own HLSL settings then you'll need to create a separate ini for that specific game."

I have searched hi and low and have found no easy explanation of how to do that in a way that works for me

I copied my Mame Ini for example - named it MSLUG to match my working Metal Slug Rom - then Ichanged the HLSL settings in my newly created Mslug ini file ,saved it into my Ini Folder ( after that failed to do anything I then placed in the Ini/ Presets folder )  relaunched Metal Slug and it pulls the same HLSL setting from the default Mame ini everytime.

Surely there is a simple way to do this?

Sometimes I find that MAME is caching the MAME.ini file. If you're inside of the MAME GUI, make sure you completely exit, make the ini changes, then re-launch.

Hi Griffin.

I am launching games via HS. 

I know that HS is getting my HLSL info thru RL settings , as it wasn't initially, then I watched a tutorial , changed an RL setting and HLSL then came thru in games. So I am not using the Mame GUi directly ( although if I do , HLSL works thru that too ).

In games I can tab/sliders on the fly....see nice changes. As u know....that doesn't save.

Am I "thinking right" in that I simply copy my Mame.ini and then name the copy (game Rom name - mslug in this example  ) and then open my new mslug.ini and "change the numbers" in that text ( e.g. scanline alpha from default 50 down to say 15 for less visible scanlines ) save it and that change SHOULD take place next time I fire up Metal Slug and then hold for all of time ?

Also if above is correct....do I put mslug.ini in the general Mame/ini directory OR in the Mame/ini/presets directory.

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads all that and offers help.

OK - so I am realising the settings are being saved from my Raster.ini located inside my Mame/Ini/ Presets folder.

This was discovered after I just got home ( restart after last night ).

So I saved my Raster and renamed it Galaga - and I now "think' I understand how this works - as all my other games stayed on scanline 15 settings as I had changed Raster.ini to 15 while Galaga was at 50 as I made Galaga.ini have 0.50 scanlines Alpha.

Just changed Metal Slug - OMG this looks AWESOME  curved edges inside TV bezel. Uploaded image does the reaity no justice however

Here comes another 100++  hours - lol

20180727_162927.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

I prefer to use just MAME.ini (recent versions adjust for horizontal and vertical automatically), vector.ini, and then one-off game specific files for those games with resolution quirks (ex: rampage, toobin)

I've got a better Metal Slug bezel for you as well, but I'm biased ;)

Archived