Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

PSX Retroarch lags?

CamoUchiha

Hi guys, I am fairly new to the whole Hyperspin world but I have been working on it now in my spare time for the past couple of months with the intntions to eventually build a cabinet.
I am quite stuck with a problem with Sony Playstation 1 games through retro arch where the frame rate completely drops and the games lag quite bad leaving it barley playable. 
Has anybody encountered this problem before and know of a fix? 
It happens on all games that I have tried but is allot more noticeable on past paced games such as 'Marvel Super hero's' and 'Street Fighter'
I have a high end PC so it can't really be be that. 
I have tried countless different settings but nothing seems too make much of a difference. 
If you have any help please let me know, Thanks :)

p.s This is the first time I have ever posted on any forum so be nice please :D 

@Thatman84 
I am using Windows 10

and I believe it is Retroarch 1.1 (I's probably the older one, I set it up following a 2015 SimplyAustin setup video)

And as of the core I'm still quite new to understanding the core but I think the mednafen psx v09.36.5 ?
:special:Is that the right thing? 

Hello CamoUchiha, I had a similar problem with PSX in Retroarch some time ago; stuff lagged and was unplayable. Turned out it was the REWIND feature. It seems that Mednafen does not like it very much, and when enabled I could only reach up to 29 fps. After disabling it, BAM! Profit.

Hope this helps.

Iv got the new Retroarch now but still lagging :/ My Rewind feature is turned off, I was hoping it would have been that :(
Does anybody know how to get back into settings once you started the game? It used to be F1 but for some reason that makes the program stop working, 
It keeps loading up mednafen_psx_hw_libretro but I want too try it on mednafen_psxlibretro.  I have no idea what the HW means. 
Thanks for the help though guys :good:

The HW is another version of the mednafen core; it uses Vulkan, and when using that version you need to change the video driver as well in the main RA from D3D or OpenGL to Vulkan. When in trouble with the HW one, I would recommend you to get the regular mednafen core (no HW).

If you are loading the games through a playlist, then the playlist must already have the HW core as the default one.

You can try going to the RA main folder, then Playlist and editing the PSX playslit you have by hand and point it to the correct core; or if you are not quite comfortable doing that stuff, you can just simple delete the playlist, then create a new one and specify to it the regular mednafen core.

I am saying all the above by heart, so I might not be 100% correct, but safe bet is to check in the RA forums directly; hunterk will surely reply to you very quickly with a solution or asking for logs and stuff.

Hope you can get it solved soon :)

Thanks Kondorito I'll try out that because I have just made a complete new setup of retroarch running the mednafen_psx and got it working perfectly, played about 5 games to test and all ran smoothly so I added the genesis core to start re adding my systems then my PSX started having the same problem again with the lagging? So I deleted the genesis core as that was the only change I made and tried again yet it was still lagging, no matter what changes I made in the settings to try fix :/ 
It's incredibly weird I have no idea why it would have done that,
I have the one that worked backed up so am going to try that again too try pin point the problem, I feel like I have had a full head of hair this morning and now I am bald... This is driving me crazy! 
But thanks for the advice, I didn't realize they had an RA forum :) 

Good Idea, I might have to use retroarch for all my older systems because they work perfect with it and have a separate one for ps1.  
This whole Hyperspin/ emu stuff is so frustrating but addictive, I found myself taking days off work to fix problems :wacko1:

Glad you got it sorted.

20 hours ago, CamoUchiha said:

Good Idea, I might have to use retroarch for all my older systems because they work perfect with it and have a separate one for ps1.  
This whole Hyperspin/ emu stuff is so frustrating but addictive, I found myself taking days off work to fix problems :wacko1:

It's amazing how addictive it is. My god i nearly rage quit countless times. But browsing through the wheels and playing some games keeps you going

Think I took some time off work to get things going! If your new to emulating and PC use everything is hardwork.

It really is! it has it's highs and it's low moments haha I'm stuck on a new problem now! This ePSXe doesn't recognize controllers through rocket launcher :'( The problems which are so frustrating are the ones I seem to get where there is nothing on the internet on how to fix :'( One thing after another as per usual. 
Don't suppose you have any advice on this? 

Archived