Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

What type of encoder should I use?

elr3y100

Hello everyone! I was just wondering what kind of USB encoder I should use that would make my setup easy. Right now I have an IPAC-2 keyboard encoder and it works well with MAME, but when I try to set up controls for pc games, the controls don't work. And also I can't rebind some keys on some games like SFV, MKXL, SFIV. Is there a work around to get these games to play with an IPAC or is there anything else I can do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You should get a USB Joystick encoder,  the ones that show up as a generic joystick when you plug them into your PC

The only drawback is the Hyperspin Joystick support is still hit or miss.

keyboard encoders came in a time when we only had those terrible serial joysticks.

you remember those, the ones with this  connectors

Joystickport.jpg

the  majority (if not ALL) of  emulators support joysticks now.  

it is much easier to configure a modern USB joystick,  then to remap your emulators to a define keyboard letters.

Since you are using an IPAC you probably had to map all your emulators to MAMEs keys.

if you wan't to go the cheap rout

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-Button-For-MAME-Fight-Stick-Control/132002781035?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D87ca6be315a640e78cf6544a35452d96%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D302201377219

same encoder for $6 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-MAME-5Pin-Sanwa-Push-Button-cable/401323461961?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D31e935d5a22543ee88ce149ed6e260f9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182328936115

same encoder at Amazon for $11

https://www.amazon.com/Reyann-Arcade-Encoder-Joystick-Fighting/dp/B00UUROWWK

You get support for 

1 - 4 way joystick

8 - buttons

You might need to keep your Ipac if you have a large amount of service keys

Thank you so much for the reply! And we'll it's still a work in progress so I can still change it up a bit. Just wanted to see if it was possible. I'm still pretty new to this, and I'm still learning! So how do these stick encoders work? And also if I order one of the parts that you listed, how do I set them up? (What program)? Also what's the more expensive route?

they are plug and play their is no software. its like pluging in a USB joystick to your PC.

When you plug them in your PC will see them as generic joysticks.

if you go to your Device and Printers managers you will find a generic joystick.

image39.png

if you click on Device (the joystick) properties you should see this window

gamepad_properties_1.png

this are images for a PS3 controller but you should see something similar,

by more expensive options,  other companies sell similar devices.  I personally have the GP Wiz 40

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_81&products_id=235

but if I was starting over,  I would by the $10 ones and buy an external LED controller.  to have buttons that light up.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:38 AM, elr3y100 said:

Hello everyone! I was just wondering what kind of USB encoder I should use that would make my setup easy. Right now I have an IPAC-2 keyboard encoder and it works well with MAME, but when I try to set up controls for pc games, the controls don't work. And also I can't rebind some keys on some games like SFV, MKXL, SFIV. Is there a work around to get these games to play with an IPAC or is there anything else I can do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm using the Ipac 4(?) ... Just remap the keys for certain games?  I use the AHK (external) setting in RLUI and remap the keys that way.

thomas

I have remapped the keys for mame pretty much for the games I play. I'm mostly focused on fighting games. A,S,D for punches and Z,X,C for kicks. Where I run into problems is, when I play a newer pc game i.e. SFV or MKXL, I can't rebind the keys to the keys I have ASD and ZXC and it asi doesn't detect the second player cuz it's all in the same keyboard? Also how did you remap the keys using rocket launcher ui? I was trying but I couldn't seem to figure it out. Like I said I'm pretty new to this stuff and every suggestion is greatly appreciated.

21 minutes ago, elr3y100 said:

I have remapped the keys for mame pretty much for the games I play. I'm mostly focused on fighting games. A,S,D for punches and Z,X,C for kicks. Where I run into problems is, when I play a newer pc game i.e. SFV or MKXL, I can't rebind the keys to the keys I have ASD and ZXC and it asi doesn't detect the second player cuz it's all in the same keyboard? Also how did you remap the keys using rocket launcher ui? I was trying but I couldn't seem to figure it out. Like I said I'm pretty new to this stuff and every suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Hmm no need for second keyboard (but not entirely sure based on what game it is..)

Have PC games Highlighted in RLUI.

First goto Settings and enable AHK method to "External"

Then goto Keymapper (still under PC games) Tab is 'AutoHotKey', click on arrow next to the green plus sign and select the game you want to remap controls.

Goto the green arrow below the game list (about mid page) enter orig. key then the new key you want.

*When it says enter original key you may have to instead press the new key you want and for new key press enter original.

Try the first way and see if that works first...

Untitled-1.jpg.3c1974bdde7d7287115e491f0f819291.jpg

thomas

Is there like a tutorial to get pc games into hyperspin and rocket launcher? I don't have them on there yet. I've tried to do auto hot keys with mugen but I wasn't able to. So Thomas, you think that I'll be able to get the pc game controls working with AHK? And also where can I download the files for hyper spin for the pc?

Archived