Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Noise through Speakers

Hi,

You may want to check what AC power adapter you are using because your choice is key. Indeed, to make it simple and not too technical there are 2 kinds of AC adaptors :

- Low Frequency (linear regulator) : the good old ones which are bigger, heavier and which produce more heat (that's the one you want) : no noise. :good2:

- Switched-mode power supply : the new ones, compact and light weight with low heat, (usually for laptops and other modern devices) : lots of noise :shout: (not good for sound systems but very nice for other types of pcb)

I had this issue with my cabinet but i sorted this out with an old linear regulator from an old appliance : http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/14955-arcave-machine/

good luck !

Do you think this would eliminate the noise before starting up..
All noise has gone now except the horrendous noise before powering pc up and comes back again after powering down.
It's interesting as it doesn't do it if the 3.5mm jack is removed from the pc end...

What kind of power adapter are you using? Linear or swichted mode power? 

If you already have a linear one, i would then check your wiring and ensure you have a good ground.

When you plug the mini jack you have the noise right? Then you may have a bad ground with the main poweradapter of the computer. Are the main power supply and power adapter of the ampli on the same socket? 

Just check and try, you can easily find such linear adapters for free.

Right guys second question..

My two main speakers are car speakers so I'm presuming there 8 ohm..they sound great on there own with the amp I've got..
I bought some 16 ohm samsung tv speakers that fit perfectly down the side of my monitor as they measure 35mmx210mm.
Trouble is it all sounds pretty good when I connect them all together but it definitely effects the quality of the sound coming from the original car speakers. It's like the bass no longer pulses and almost gives the whole setup a fuzzy tinny sound. It's difficult to notice but I'm wondering if anybody can explain what the difference is between an 8 ohm and 16 ohm etc etc and why you can't hook them up together. And if possible how would you connect speakers of different ohms up...

1 hour ago, richie_jones said:

Right guys second question..

My two main speakers are car speakers so I'm presuming there 8 ohm..they sound great on there own with the amp I've got..
I bought some 16 ohm samsung tv speakers that fit perfectly down the side of my monitor as they measure 35mmx210mm.
Trouble is it all sounds pretty good when I connect them all together but it definitely effects the quality of the sound coming from the original car speakers. It's like the bass no longer pulses and almost gives the whole setup a fuzzy tinny sound. It's difficult to notice but I'm wondering if anybody can explain what the difference is between an 8 ohm and 16 ohm etc etc and why you can't hook them up together. And if possible how would you connect speakers of different ohms up...

the volume discrepancy between the 2 speakers will be a problem. The 8 ohm speaker will take most of the power and the 16 ohm speaker will be much quieter. In general it's not a good idea.

you could probably get it to work if you ran 2x 16ohm in series with an 8ohm in parallel. (per channel)

or you could just get some decent full range speakers...

just google speaker impedance and read the multiple threads on the subject...

never really tried it.. read a review of the smsl one when i was looking and have used them ever since...

Wow Mike what can I say. SMSL amp is amazing. Sound is crisp extremely loud full of bass and zero interference..
It's a 100% improvement on the cheap crap I'd bought...

On 6/8/2017 at 4:26 PM, richie_jones said:

Wow Mike what can I say. SMSL amp is amazing. Sound is crisp extremely loud full of bass and zero interference..
It's a 100% improvement on the cheap crap I'd bought...

glad to have been of some help...

Archived