Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Taito Type X Issue With My Arcade Stick

pavlovtiger

I've finally gotten into a bit of PCLauncher game setup with the excellent Youtube video on how to get Taito Type X games going, and I can control the games just fine with my USB controller (Dualshock 4 running via Inputmapper.) My problem now though, is my beautiful Hori Real Arcade Pro 3...which I would -quite- prefer to use with these arcade titles...simply won't work in any actual games.  I can configure the stick just fine..either in the control configs provided for the individual games or in Taito X Loader...but no matter how I launch the games I get nothing on that stick.  I can't even set it up with Joy2Key, it simply doesn't work in-game.

No clue what I'm missing here.  The HRAP3 stick works, I've tested it in MAME and other gaming applications.

7 hours ago, pavlovtiger said:

I've finally gotten into a bit of PCLauncher game setup with the excellent Youtube video on how to get Taito Type X games going, and I can control the games just fine with my USB controller (Dualshock 4 running via Inputmapper.) My problem now though, is my beautiful Hori Real Arcade Pro 3...which I would -quite- prefer to use with these arcade titles...simply won't work in any actual games.  I can configure the stick just fine..either in the control configs provided for the individual games or in Taito X Loader...but no matter how I launch the games I get nothing on that stick.  I can't even set it up with Joy2Key, it simply doesn't work in-game.

No clue what I'm missing here.  The HRAP3 stick works, I've tested it in MAME and other gaming applications.

Not sure, but I believe people using either newer/specific versions of the iPac or Ultrastick 360 joysticks mades ome threads about issues. I'd search for those, maybe the issue is related.

Huh.  I hadn't tried the iPac setup utility; I oddly assumed it was put in as a courtesy for those who were running an actual arcade cabinet.  I do have an iPac but haven't ever been able to set it up in a real cab.  Now I think of it, that would be a brilliant workaround in this application, I'll give that a go.

Yeh, this iPac thing doesn't want to respond with the Hori stick either, not sure why it was included in the Taito TX files apart from a possible courtesy for folks with an arcade cab.  Can't work it out why it responds fine in the config but not the actual game.  And no clue what to do about it.

Have you managed to find any of those threads I mentioned to see if they could help you?

My guess is your joystick is putting out an incompatible joystick signal. You might have to use some middle man software (joy2key, keymapper, antimicro-somethin-somethin etc...) to convert those signals into something it understands and can use. I use an iPac in my cab so haven't ever had to mess with them so I can't really answer you for sure myself.

Search for type x controls, ttx, joy2key etc... there are also some tutorials for setting those up here. There's also 2 other joystick remapper apps that keep getting mentioned I can't remember the name of. So maybe seaqrch for antimicro, joysticks, arcade sticks, control panel etc... see if you can dig up those threads.

EDIT: I just realized that you must already be using joy2key to even get that stick to work with HS, and you mentioned joy2key not helping in the first post. Not sure then man.

Are you using or do you have VJoy installed on your system? Vjoy is notorious for effing things up and this thread mentions it was an issue with TTX controls. If so I have a Vjoy workaround i came up with you can use. I also just realized you said you're using these games through PC Launcher instead of through a loader? I set mine up (resolution, country, controls etc...) using PCLoader, and launch them using the TTX PCLoader module... I've never used PC Launcher for my TTX games

No VJoy set up on my computer that I'm aware of, especially if it's an actual program that must be installed.  I have Joy2Key but that's a non-install, and Xpadder which outright doesn't work on Windows 10 for me.  It will start up but I get nothing after that, it soft-crashes where it will remain on the screen but ceases all responce to anything.   If you have a VJoy workaround maybe it would help if I -did- set up VJoy?

What is the difference between PCLauncher and PCLoader?  This is the first I'm hearing of the latter.  I haven't got a module for Taito Type X specifically.

Arcade PC Loader is one app that sets up and creates TTX game bat files. The other is called All Loader RH (or something like that).

They let you change your game settings, set your resolution, set your controls etc... for the TTX games before you use PC Launcher to run them. That is how I set mine up. I mispoke, I do use PC Launcher to start the games, but only after I have setup the games through the other loaders first.

Wow this thing's refusal to work properly.  I can launch the games through the batch files, the exe files, from the Taito X Arcade PCLoader application, or from Hyperspin, and nothing, -nothing- makes this bloody stick function in-game.  But all the configuration applications work great with it.  I can set the stick on all the games all day long and it just won't work when I turn the damn game on.  Also, for whatever reason, the F1 key is adding credits, when I don't have that set anywhere to do that.

I -outright- give up.  It won't work in Windows 7 either because every time I sniff in the direction of any of these game launchers they crash instantly.  There's absolutely no reason for this but yet it remains, so I'll settle for the Dualshock 4, which works perfectly, -like any other controller plugged into the computer should.-

I'm on to my next infuriating issue with this system, the constant I/O errors.  Trouble Witches and Raiden IV both.  There's a bluetooth trick script included in the TTX pack but I'm unsure where to place it.  Or even what it actually does.  If I turn my bluetooth off manually, I still get the I/O errors.

7 hours ago, pavlovtiger said:

I -outright- give up.  It won't work in Windows 7 either because every time I sniff in the direction of any of these game launchers they crash instantly.  There's absolutely no reason for this but yet it remains, so I'll settle for the Dualshock 4, which works perfectly, -like any other controller plugged into the computer should.-

Are you leaving your Dual Shock plugged in when you're trying to use your joystick? If so maybe they are conflicting and the joystick is overridden by the DS.

I'm on to my next infuriating issue with this system, the constant I/O errors.  Trouble Witches and Raiden IV both.  There's a bluetooth trick script included in the TTX pack but I'm unsure where to place it.  Or even what it actually does.  If I turn my bluetooth off manually, I still get the I/O errors.

I have both those games running fine. I don't remember having any bluetooth script or I/O issues, but I'll double check my setup for you. The only thing I run bluetooth on my cab is my keyboard and mouse though.

And what TTX pack is it from? Something Giga put together?

Giga included this in his download pack, yes.  I was wrong about it being a script; there's Disable Bluetooth.exe, Enable Bluetooth.exe, and Refresh Bluetooth.exe, with 'add to prelaunch and postlaunch' in a notepad file.  I get the pre-and-post addition thing, though I hadn't actually tried it yet..but what's with the Refresh exe?  If Disable-pre and Enable-post aren't enough, where does the Refresh fit in?  Or do I slot two programs back to back in the Post-Launch slot for whatever games are giving me the i/o error?  Assuming it's even the bluetooth doing this.  Keeping in mind I'm on a laptop, so the BT is built in.

As for my Dualshock 4, I unplugged it and turned off bluetooth and the Hori still sits on the desk like a rock when I start a game. 

Just had an interesting little adventure trying to add disable and enable bluetooth programs to the before/after launch on Raiden IV.  I'm not sure if it actually turned my bluetooth off and back on, but it sure did disable my wi-fi.  Had to turn it back on with the Enable program manually.

Hi Pav, not seen you around these parts for some time.

I/O issues are normally caused by the game being run by the wrong exe.

For your controller issue I would set up the keyboard keys first and maybe use the same one for all the games.

Once they are working I would then set up JoyToKey following the guide in our tutorials section. 

Hullo Giga.  I had been mostly quietly working on my setup every day, I kinda stupidly accidentally deleted most of my databases so it's been a long road to restoration.

Your mention of the wrong launch file got me looking at Raiden IV again, changed to the launcher provided in your pack and it works, so that's R4's i/o error sorted.  Trying to work out controller config now, can't find whatever should be doing that in the R4 folder.  Maybe just do it from the Taito X PC Loader?

Also this iRotate, which seems it would orient the side-mode shooters the proper way round (tate mode I think it's called) does launch when I add to prelaunch for Raiden but doesn't seem to do anything and it stays when I turn the game off.  Maybe I forgot to do something with postlaunch..if I add the same program pre and post, does it shut the program down on exit?

I have got Vjoy and Joy2Key available, but when I tried J2K with the Hori stick it was again nonfunctional in-game.  I can set my Dualshock 4 up (via Inputmapper which I think uses the X360 implementation) and it works a treat, but not the arcade stick.

I should add that I have only used Joy2Key for one notable application, RPCS3 the PS3 emulator..and this, only because Xpadder is apparently no longer an option on Windows 10.  It shows up to the party, but it got a knock on the head and it sits drooling in the corner.  But the lack of immediate 1:1 controller responce that Xpadder offered was admittedly confusing me when I went to configure it.  I'm used to pressing a key and seeing the config pick it up so I know where I'm at and J2K doesn't do that unless I've been using it entirely wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and implement J2K right into Hyperspin as per this guide, as at the very least it can't actually harm anything.  Might be good eventually if/when PS3 gets officially added.

Some small progress then..actually got the Hori stick to at least -show- something in Joy2Key.  For buttons, at least.  I had to manually tell it which stick to use, and I'm trying to work out why the actual stick directions are being interpreted as axis rather than POV hat.  As they are now they aren't showing in the J2K panel as active when I move the stick, though the tab for the stick in general does light when I move it.

So I am not sure which games specifically you want to run on Taito Type X but most of the better games can be purchased through apps like steam or GOG. These are built to be used on PCs and I have never had an issue out of them.  Some games, that are specific to the Type X/X2, will have to be run through this system (Tetris The Grand Master 3 and a few others) but for everyone that can be run off a windows executable, I recommend doing so.  Solves all of your problems and often times adds quite a few features.

And some of the games run through nessicaxlive, which in my experience is soooo much easier to set up.

And back to square one when trying to configure the HyperSpin profile for J2K in Hyperlaunch.  It wants me to redo the whole thing in the Keymapper panel but I can't just bring over the profile I made to begin with.  I can't even make the Frontend one, it gives an error that a profile already exists.

Trying to configure it again doesn't seem to let J2K add my stick a second time, I'm confused here.  Worked fine to set up the first profile.

Ugh.  Feels like progress and then right back to the total lack thereof.  J2K shows -something- when I use the stick, so it is working there, but still can't even get the individual games to control outside Hyperspin even when J2K is turned on manually.  Not to mention the confusion of having to have set 3 different J2K profiles, the last one for the Taito Type X itself inside HL.  I feel like I'm moving closer but keep getting lost.

Aaaaaahh!  Actual progress.  I had forgotten to set SF4 Arcade Edition's actual controls to correspond with the keyboard.  Did that, now it actually controls in-game, through Hyperspin...except that those pesky Axis controls are still governing the joystick itself so I get no directional control...buttons work a treat, but no stick.  If it isn't one thing it's another.

Aaaaand that's fixed now.  The stick itself was set to a wonky analog switch.  I'm on to working out some nasty Hyperlaunch failures specifically with Super SF4AE wherein it will launch fine but 20 seconds in it snaps me back to the Windows desktop.  Game is still going in the background and no errors pop up from HL but they'll be in the log.  It was happening with Battle Fantasia, but I didn't have a Fade Title for that and it went away when I added it.  SF4 has a Fade Title so I'm not sure what's up.

Okay, well at least Battle Fantasia is working as intended now, as in, it loads without zapping me back to desktop, J2K launches and operates as I tell it to do, and exits properly upon closing the game.  Super SF4AE went from working okay, to the desktop dumping, to working okay, and back, but since I'm working with the original version and I'd rather just have the 2012 update on my wheel, I guess I can go find the game files for that and have another go.  There's weird variables with the one I'm poking at.

I'm reminded that this hobby can be very picky as for what is set where and with which file name.  I'm way further along than I was earlier, so many thanks to you all for helping.  If I run into a wall with Street Fighter I'll pipe up again, but I'll put it away for now.

I would stick with the 2012 edition of SSFIV and drop the extra character fix in the folder and run loader.bat. This version is much better if you are using an arcade stick or on a cab, the PC version is better with a gamepad.

Are you still using Hyperlaunch and not RocketLauncher? Just so we know that is.

Archived