Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Universal Themes for Nvidia Shield - SWF issues

Jltoro

Hello everyone! New to the forum and to Hyperspin in general. 

I've been trying to get an install working and trying to find a beautiful universal theme that I can use to keep a sleek look. All themes I tried with SWF files either don't load the swf portion OR even worse i've found have crashed my setup all together. 

I've been able to test this by going back and forth adding in single themes to the main menu *like an atari 2600.zip that has swf* and then removing it for stock.

Any word on what I can do? I'm just looking for one unified look for every system in main menu and in each individual wheel.

Thanks!

-J

Hi @Jltoro welcome to the community

there are some compatibility issues with some swf themes. You try out this new one which probably hasn't been tested on android yet

failint that maybe create one theme from some you like and duplicate it for all of your main menu items.

post up a screenshot of the look your going for. It may help us direct you to a good solution

I was looking to do something like this theme, or like the one you posted. But when I try any of these things that have SWF files in them. My hyperspin does 1 of 2 things. It either will not start up and go past the intro video, or it will start up but won't display the asset that is SWF which in most cases is the background. 

a6fa64b16883fef2fbd4349d1c2755b5-screen1

I also was working on a theme based on AEON, sorta like the image below. I am trying to extract swf files and make a 16:9 version that looks similar with just pngs.

I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of others having more issues with SWF files on Nvidia Shield TV. Am I the only one?

a0fe28b8caa5e2fd9ca70f061068ec4e-untitle

As Thatman said there can be some compatibility issues with some themes using swf.

I still remember when I had an issue with some of the assets for themes not displaying. I did start a thread here for help but everyone was stumped, got there myself in the end. Open your Main_Menu.ini file in the Settings_Android folder, check that the "Special Art" entries are set to default= false and Active=true. If your Main Menu now displays the themes correctly, as you scroll through the systems that's great! Then you can go through checking the "Special Art" settings in all the different *system*.ini files to fix those.

All the best with it

Ah yes i remember the special issue. Have them set as above will help. I think it only stoped themes reloading or loading at 1st start for me though iirc.

I did do some theme testing but it was for standard themes not universal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gFiXze7nlTYlPLh3IbNnukOjU7OFYqq1Reemz2GQeN4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Has the direct download links also

FYI for unversal themes you cant have a horizontal wheel only STRAIGHT vertical is supported

Whatever you do it will look awesome but does take some time to get right

Most swf  WILL NOT work on the shield.....only a small few do work like the swf background for game & watch....pretty much most other swf themes will crash or just won't show up...such was the case in capcom zn1 and zn2....both loaded but with a black background instead of the swf blue animated bsckground....the 2nd theme the guy posted won't work because u can't scroll across...the 1st theme those will work but u will need to layer everything as png images separately or load it meshed together as a png...personally what I would do is in Photoshop is have the background as 1 png....then use the typing tool to write down what u have there for ps1 and save is as another png...then have the ps1 console as another png...and obviously the video overlay the last png...u can use Photoshop or pixlr.com to import all the photos and layer them together to  be identical as how it will look on the theme in case u need to resize or edit something

Sorry for the radio silence... I sorta went headfirst into making a completely SWF-less theme based on 2 different themes I saw, one was Aeon Nox Experience 4.XIII Main Menu v2 BETA By Dark13 *LOVE THIS THEME!* Wish android was compatible with it. And another theme I saw while doing a google image search of hyperspin themes, but didn't grab the name... 

If you'd like to see where I am, please see the attached PSD file with all the assets in. I am also trying to use the flv videos provided from the AEON NOX experience but, the flvs on android are giving me a green line at the top and not displaying correctly... unsure why. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao3kerl3mb7dpn6/Hyperspin theme.psd?dl=0

IMG_3774.JPG.1ff274afcd70257e54957d601509c962.JPG

Hey Guys! Been knocking my head on the table while trying to produce a definitely not worthy theme. I'm embarrassed to even show it when I've seen the likes of Dark13's Aeon and all the other ones that i'm so jealous not to have on the shield.

That being said, as of TODAY I finished ALL of the systems that I planned on using AND have even re-done all the system settings ini's to make them a bit cleaner *per my OCD* It's a bit late here and i'll be busy possibly for a day or 2, but if I can sneak in time i will upload the files for anyone to test. 

Just a note, it's not 100% HD, it's not perfect, i'm not a designer. What I am though, was one person frustrated with SWFs on a shield... So this theme is 100% PNG's and free from SWF's so guaranteed to work flawlessly on shields. I'd like to thank you all for your help that you've provided and I want to say i'm lucky to have stumbled upon a forum with awesome members! 

Cheers!

-J

I'm sure you're being far too hard on yourself Jltoro, I'm sure many members will be thankful for your efforts!

I must confess that I won't test it but I'd love to see a video showcase demo'ing it, universal themes I do get look better for a "mature" audience . My Shield TV goes "on tour" to friends houses and their kids get excited seeing Mario and all the different characters appear on the screen, as we scroll through the systems and games. They don't realise all the "work" that goes into making it look how it does BUT to me it's pure magic seeing my friends smile & laugh, playing games which they thought were long lost together with their children... It makes it all worthwhile in the end :) 

I do get your frustration with the swf files. I had to edit a fair few themes (usually the background) to make them work but I found many did seem to work ok once I tinkered with the Special Art settings within the .ini files. Yes some would just flat out crash Hyperspin so it was a labourious process going through each system and game testing it out. Some I had to remove completely and settle for a generic look but a vast majority of my games do have a unique theme and I'm reasonably happy with how it looks. So yes!! Some of us do understand and appreciate your efforts...I hope you do get lots of positive feedback.

All the best with everything you do :)

Hello all! I've uploaded the files to dropbox. The video is there and on youtube.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9g1mm5k0zbxm58u/AADbSbiuHtQ1iDRDo29q7kPGa?dl=0   < Theme Files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMZ987X-iXU&feature=youtu.be <Youtube Video of theme

I have used portions from Dark's theme, namely the buttons on the bottom and the console info. 

Background was something I found on google image search and adjusted in photoshop. 

I've added the PSD files incase anyone wants to edit and improve as well as my Android settings. 

*Note* the video was taken on my PC not my shield. On my shield I have all transition disabled and the wheel actually fits correctly unlike on my pc. 

Cheers!

-J

That is very tempting to switch mine to. Awesome work mate thats the best looking default theme I have seen posted for the Shield. ??

Im really interested in your main menu wheel images where are they from?

Also my first thought is to keep my main menu with normal themes and move all my system themes over to the Aeon Nox. Only thing stopping me is the text. It looks a little out of place

I will try and see if there is a way to batch the game text into an artwork layer if there is a spare one!

@dark13 i need to browse your threads again but i think you have a script for something like this?. Batching the game text out to images to fit better in the bottom left of the system theme.

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

That is very tempting to switch mine to. Awesome work mate thats the best looking default theme I have seen posted for the Shield. ??

Im really interested in your main menu wheel images where are they from?

Also my first thought is to keep my main menu with normal themes and move all my system themes over to the Aeon Nox. Only thing stopping me is the text. It looks a little out of place

I will try and see if there is a way to batch the game text into an artwork layer if there is a spare one!

@dark13 i need to browse your threads again but i think you have a script for something like this?. Batching the game text out to images to fit better in the bottom left of the system theme.

Game text I haven't gotten around to, but i'm guessing you are talking about the blue and white text for each game. There is a setting in each system ini to adjust the height and size of text i believe, I was going to shrink it and have it fit better. Just haven't gotten around to playing with the numbers. 

Wheel images were from Chicuelo's wheel design: 

As far as I get the shield version of HS does not read .swf actionscript. This is a problem as using AS3 you can automatize some stuff, for example if the text don't fit the space it scrolls.

You can actually use variables batch in photoshop to automatically fill textfield BUT later you need to check the thing as some text might be too long for the space you reserved to it.

A random tutorial for the thing :P

Thanks Dark, I found your ftp tutorial video so am setting about it now. Just installing Open Office as excel opened the output file as one block of text.

It looks from JLToro's video above that the scrolling text is not used in the system themes so for me keeping the Standard HS themes for my main menu and yours for system themes \i should be ok

Im hoping that the photoshop batch will fit the text into the layer restraints for those really long game descriptions.

@Jltoro the game text bottom left I am hoping to batch into an image Artwork3 then turn of the text display in the .ini file. Then all game text will match the theme

5 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Thanks Dark, I found your ftp tutorial video so am setting about it now. Just installing Open Office as excel opened the output file as one block of text.

It looks from JLToro's video above that the scrolling text is not used in the system themes so for me keeping the Standard HS themes for my main menu and yours for system themes \i should be ok

Im hoping that the photoshop batch will fit the text into the layer restraints for those really long game descriptions.

@Jltoro the game text bottom left I am hoping to batch into an image Artwork3 then turn of the text display in the .ini file. Then all game text will match the theme

Love that idea of using Artwork 3! Also Thanks @dark13 for the insight. I'm hoping with the recent talk of a new hyperspin release in the future that supports native 16:9 and so forth that options will open up for having the usage of themes be more unified between windows and Android. 

BTW just converting all my dreamcast GDI's now to CHD... Thanks for the Tutorial @thatman84

So I manage to make these as batch...... It was of HIGH difficulty for me lol. maybe 5hrs for 14 images but the process is sorted so will be super quick now.

I didnt manage to include the rating image though but I can live without it.

@Jltoro Try these out in your Art3 folder for Atari2600 and remove Artwork3.png from the default theme please

New folder.zip

Doing every XML will take a little time :)

597d08c5ee122_3-DTic-Tac-Toe(USA).png.39e0f749329ee7cd38765f9da70ff806.png

597d08f7e789e_2005MinigameMulticart(USA)(Unl).png.f6fcebc17efd943149063deac7c31e4b.png597d09013a999_A-VCS-tecChallenge(USA)(Unl).png.494603c91a4e84515bbb02b869102a88.png

Here is the template PSD. You need to add Variables as per Dark13's video tutorial in the FTP folder

Then I used this program to convert PSD to PNG

http://www.irfanview.com/

Get the zip file not the installer, negates all the adlink crap

3-D Tic-Tac-Toe (USA).png

32 in 1 Game Cartridge (Europe).png

2005 Minigame Multicart (USA) (Unl).png

Acid Drop (Europe).png

Actionauts (USA) (Proto).png

Activision Decathlon, The (USA).png

Adventure (USA).png

Adventure 2 (USA).png

Adventures of TRON (USA).png

Air Raid (USA).png

Air Raiders (USA).png

Air-Sea Battle (USA).png

A-Team, The (USA) (Proto).png

A-VCS-tec Challenge (USA) (Unl).png

Artwork3.psd

Variables batch is a mess as a little error in the text file will f**k the whole thing :P

To convert the psd to png you can use directly photoshop. Open a psd, start recording an action, save the file as .png and stop the action. Then launch the action on the folder containing the psd.
Learning how to use action is really useful while working with this stuff, not many people knows what you can really do with actions, they spare LOTS of works (though the feature is a bit bugged), Another thing: before seriously start using action learn to "normalize" dpi. Some PS features depends on dpi (es merging a new image into a ps document) and lots of set have different dpi settings. Obviously you can correct the dpi of a set with an action :D

Its starting to sink in a little. I have hardly ever used photoshop and still find it confusing just to navigate.

Your video is good and I just got the action working although it seems to save the PSD aswell and then names the .png with the suffix "copy" not sure why.

The program I posted actually exported the images without transparency which is no good.

The biggest error I hit was importing the csv file. I think it won't import empty cells but need to test it again. Is that right?

Bed time here now, thanks for the help

Holy Crap! The stuff you guys do when I'm gone watching fireworks makes me feel super humbled! Tomorrow i'm going to be with family but this week i'll have time to take a look and attempt to continue your great work!

• 4 months later...

If someone would like to test this one on the shield that would be great.

Understanding that Rainmeter might not be available for HyperControl, but you might be just use wheel items for HyperControl, or another Launcher app perhaps. :)

Its pretty lightweight also at 286Kb for a default 16:9 Animated Theme.

The bulk comes in the overlays you want to add coming soon, like system info controls and other things like posters, neons etc.

Happy Gaming. 

Archived