Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin odroid xu4

Jawbraeka

OK..

I'm going to start here.. 

I'm using lineageOS android 7.1.2 and downloaded the hyperspin android download files from the forums here.. (Located in hyperspin android download section)

OK, I installed the apk and hyperspin crashed upon opening. I didn't install the zip and 7zip files so far. 

I deleted the hyperspin folder it created during install.. Gave me the following error. 

No Hyperspin Data Folder Found!

Valid locations are "/storage/UUID/Hyperspin","/sdcard/Hyperspin" (where folder was created), or "/storage/sdcard0/Hyperspin". Please visit Hyperspin-fe.com for more info.

OK, I took the liberty of creating an new folder and hyperspin did something interesting.. It loaded, expecting some file to load up, but the titlebar loaded HYPERSPIN and then hung as in no movement from that screen, but system was still accessible via alt-tab. 

Going to pursue this a little more. 

OK, recreated hyperspin folder, goes to load, but this time title bar goes to appear and hyperspin crashes out to main desktop. 

Added the directories and files from the HFSBox15k-Andriod-patch.zip file into Hyperspin folder and crashed again. 

Added the INI files from Settings_Android-10May2015.7z to Settings_Android folder and skipped the files currently in that folder (wasn't sure whether or not to override them)

Hyperspin still crashes to desktop.. 

Any ideas here?

Am I installing these files correctly, at the very least or is there something I'm missing here?

Please help. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless something changed with the last update, I thought Hyperspin on Android was only for Tegra devices. I'm not surprised to hear it isn't working to be honest.

I'm not very familiar with the odroid boards, I looked into them a while back but decided they were too pricey and the warranty was ridiculously short. I've seen people get excited about the Asus Tinkerboard as it too has an android OS available to install...however it's a Rockchip device and it's my understanding that devs hate having anything to do with them. So support would be lacking and I too have avoided them. I've seen android and android TV running on a Raspberry Pi3 but that's hardly worth the effort and Hyperspin wouldn't work on that either.

It's tricky as there are all these Youtube videos with the content creators showing off what these boards and cheap Chinese android boxes can do, which then "suckers" people into buying them. IMHO it's PC>Shield TV>RPI 3, ultimately having a PC version of Hyperspin will do you the most good. Even if you use an alternative frontend (I'm not going to mention any) they often borrow heavily from the artwork and the database xml files from Hyperspin.

TLDR: I think you're flogging a dead horse

i installed hyperspin using a basepack (version 1.3) mentioned by **Removed** on youtube (has a yellow streetfighter thumbnail) and followed his instructions to a tee..

just quickly looking in the config files.. a lot of H;\ references were pointing to a non existant harddrive reference.. whereas we're using an eMMC not labelled h:\, which i'm totally assuming he compressed his working shield directory into rar files.

Anyone intersted in helping out by studying the file system layout compared to an ODROID XU4's layout would sure be helpful.. any references to invalid harddrive references could be a big problem as i don'y have a h:\ in my machine.

p.s. when installing i had an issue with two mp4 files (popcap.mp4 and sammy atomiswave.mp4, i merely deleted and the rest of the install went ok)

P.P.s the youtube search reference was hyperspin tutorial android. 

i alson understand that hyperspin uses flash as well to support some of the files within the hyperspin system.. so maybe getting adobe flash 11 for android might be a benefit also. i downloaded the flash forn kitkat i believe and it installed alright.. can't tell if it works.. 

Sorry about the link.. Didn't think it was allowed.. But it was only a base pack for hyperspin and not containing ROMs.. No ROMs were in the base pack.  It is essentially a base pack for hyperspin via shield.. 

In the video, he also mentions a system/SBC called mojo.. So maybe we have a fighting chance.. Who knows until we try. 

Search the android forum for (tutorial)

i cover most of the settings. The h:/ stuff should not really matter. But I have no experience with odroid 

the flash stuff is for theme animations and artwork smoothing. It your getting a wheel working on your device that's great. If it crashes when you land on a system or game try removing the corresponding theme and replace it for one that just uses static png image files

Hyperspin doesn't boot at all.. 

It attempts to, but doesn't.. 

I'm under the impression the h:\ may have a part to play being, the odroid doesn't have a h drive and for it to be told to look for a drive that doesn't exist is like telling someone to drive down the road to a petrol station that used to be there.. If it isn't there to be found then what is there to do but crash or become part of a nasty cycle of nothingness. 

I will look deeper into it as if it can't find a wheel, then no wheel can be loaded. 

The odroid has an eMMC module that isn't labelled with a h:\ .. I will delve deeper.. And try to replace the h:\ reference with the odroid localized reference.  It'll be something similar to making the corrections in the INI files to work with android. 

I'll keep you guys posted. 

Here is something very interesting.. 

How to launch tetra games and ?apps? On non-tegra devices.  

Maybe something key to what we need?

According to this.  Chainfire 3D drivers are what is needed to emulate tegra processor.. ie, these drivers are a middle man for tegra based games and the processor.

It's def worth having a crack

what I ment by the h drive is that those settings are not supported in android version so they should not be passed anywhere. They are left overs from taking a PC config file and using adjusting it for android

when @reznnate pops in he may see this and give a more informed answer

Alright.. No problems. 

I'll have to grab a copy of your apk later.. ATM, just a touch busy.  

Also, found a program called gltools too.. A carry over for chainfire 3d, which may be good for something.. 

I'll let you know. 

Is your apk from a shield or other android device?

13 hours ago, Jawbraeka said:

I'll let you know how I get one with this. 

Still think you're flogging a dead horse BUT I respect you for trying.

Personally if I was you...I would look at using the Android TV lineage OS build. The android TV remote app for phones should work with it, test the mic function out. If it works, SPMC (a fork of Kodi) and Arc Browser work with recommendations row on ATV. Yes Hyperspin looks amazing BUT in truth I only use it as a "party piece" to impress friends. For day to day use, I just push the mic button on my remote and say "Mario" or "Zelda". Then Arc Browser shows all those games added to it's database with boxart and screenshots.

Of course you don't have to follow my suggestion but you clearly seem set on using Android OS or else you would have gone with one of the alternative frontends available.

All the best with it

I am using the Android TV LineageOS.. 

The other thing I'll need is the official shieldarcade hyperspin file mentioned in the install notes file.. Can anyone get a copy of that apk.. To keep it inline with the install instructions please..

Thanks.

I need a copy of that apk as my device "isn't compatible" according to the shieldcade playstore..

Can someone please copy their apk from their shield and upload it to a google drive or short-term online storage link and email me at [email protected] or email me the actual shieldcade apk.. That would be great.

Or direct me to a downloadable version of it outside the play store.. 

On 8/14/2017 at 8:46 AM, thatman84 said:

The only apk is in the playstore

Iirc reznnate added the recent updated one to the playstore. Thats the only one you should be using

That's the one I need from the store.. But not having a shield doesn't help.. See above post for helping further. 

This is what I received so far.. Just to test the apk without the directory. 

After that I replaced the directory that I made with all the files I was instructed to download from thatman. Hyperspin loaded then crashed. 

Now to setup directory links for INI files in the settings area of hyperspin. 

Now my question is, should I use the full directory structure of the mobile phones flash drive?

As an example, /sdcardX (X signifying the number of the SDcard either being a 1 or 0)/emulated/0/hyperspin or will it crash because there is no drive letter?  Place your bets lol. 

Screenshot_20170815-170705.png

OK.. Installing cores into retroarch which I downloaded from official site.. Sticking with 1.3.6 stable release and wasn't able to find Dreamcast (reicast) core. Will get after dinner and plug on from there. 

The ini files will be a pinch being I just need to localize directory to specific system. 

The system I'm guinea pigging is my Vernee Apollo lite with Android 6 with 3.18.22 kernel. It doesn't have nvidia, it has Samsung exonyss processor and GPU combo.  So any success here.. I'll try on odroid, as any success outside of nvidia, is a successful attempt. 

OK.. 

So far I am up to configuring ini files.. 

With the rompath, its says 'please adjust your rompath in any settings files to suit YOUR setup locations. I am changing the rompath to the full hyperspin ROM path, which is /sdcard/hyperspin/emulators/Atari lynx/roms

Just a quick question. Do I need to alter the 'path=' setting at all?

Screenshot_20170815-184952.png.9d0869f70fd2913032982543ce4f9c61.png

Archived