Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Bring up FBA menu, Retroarch Android

lovebus5

Hi :)

Recently I have warmed to FBA core, rather than going with mame. Once i got hold of the right romset, it all runs perfectly on my Nvidia Shield TV (Hyperspin-->Retroarch-->fba core).

There are some major benefits in my book from using fba rather than mame (0.188 or other versions):

1. Save states (through Retroarch, works for ALL games)

2. High scores are saved (i cant get that to work in mame)

3. Game-specific controls just work by default (e.g. SF2 automatically uses the "SNES-button layout")

Those are deal-breakers for me!

However, I have one problem:

I can´t bring up the fba menu once im in a game. With fba menu i mean the counterpart to the mame ui menu, but for fba. (not the Retroarch menu, that one i can open no problem). See this image (shows the mame ui menu counterpart)

https://ibb.co/eF60Kv

I googled best i could, and it says the default command (with a gamepad) is to hold "start"-button, or to press "select"+"x" (different places say different things...). But none of those work for me. I havent changed any of the default control config files. 

Anyone knows what buttons to press to bring up the menu? Or if someone knows what config line i need to edit to add a button of my choice to bring up the menu. 

Thanx in advance

Never knew it had a menu to bring up, there's no option to bind it to a key under controls in the quick menu. Thinking of it, I don't think I ever could select anything in the MAME menu that could be toggled onscreen with the Mame core.

I do use the FBAlpha2012 core for Capcom Play Systems 1-3. For "Arcade Classics" I use Mame2010 , Cave uses Mame2014. Although FBA can run Afterburner/2, you can't control the jet....bit of an issue as I love that game and the theme I use for it also looks very cool! There may well be other games that have control issues. I think some forum members prefer the Mame4droid app, FBA4droid is another alternative, I guess it's a personal preference and or what your romset is. If memory serves I have 0.161 with complete CHDs...I'm in no rush to try and update them.

All the best with it, have fun

Thx guys for the help! If there is no fba menu then no wonder I couldnt find it:)

Anothet benefit i forgot to list: demanding games like dodonpachi runs smoother than with latest mame on my Shield.

And of course there are downsides:

No support for game-specific bezels like in mame

Less total number of games supported

No worries.

Yes it gets confusing. Last year many of us were annoyed because we lost the mame 2010 & 2014 cores in the online updater for Retroarch. These were essential for some systems (CAVE!) as the latest mame.git didn't run them well at all,  it was a looong time before they came back again. I do hope we don't have to wait that long for them to fix Picodrive, as there are no standalone apps I know of that can do Sega 32X.

Got it confirmed no ingame fba menu.

On the cores subject depending on your need for current retroarch versions you can rollback and i also found a way to download the cores from your pc to root shield cores folder.

http://emulationguide.com/retroarch-local-online-updater

Just make regular backups of your cores by downloading them from retroarch buildbot site.

Fyi picodrive is working fine for me but not sure what versions im on

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

Fyi picodrive is working fine for me but not sure what versions im on

Oh it's broken..it's a known issue. Apparently it's the Android TV (SW 5.2) update that has borked it...I'm going to assume your shield is rooted and on the older software version?

Thank you for the link, I hope it helps others. I had to jump through hoops to get Caprice into Retroarch for the Amstrad CPC, in no rush to meddle anymore. As the OP says, I don't play it much either BUT I do have a very pretty setup for it. I'll wait it out most likely.

20 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Ali yeah I know it's broke. Thanks for confirming it was 5.2 that done it. I will hold off for now as didn't see anything that I needed in the shield update.

Pretty sure the update sorted the Vulkan issues on the Shield TV. I use the Vulkan driver for Retroarch and Dolphin

Archived