Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

No need anymore for Hyperspin Retroarch dual-config problems

lovebus5

Hi, 

Just thought I share something that will make setting up Hyperspin with Retroarch on Android easier going forward.

One of the most trickiest things i struggled with when I originally set up Hyperspin/Retroarch on Android was the fact that the Retroarch app and Hyperspin Retroarch were by default using DIFFERENT configs (retroarch.cfg). This was really confusing, and it took me hours of fiddling, and learning from @thatman84s youtube video, to make it work. 

Now I have reinstalled Retroarch from scratch (i wanted to tidy up all my supporting files and directories into places where i could actually find them), and can happily confirm that this dual-config mess is not needed anymore. Not sure when this happened, but I believe it was sometime around Retroarch version 1.6.4 and onwards.

Just do it like this, for a clean Retroarch install:

- Install Retroarch normally from Play store

- At first run, setup all your Retroarch directories (including system and core configs) to a place where you can find and access them

- After that, install all your cores etc

You will see that Retroarch app and Retroarch through Hyperspin will be using the same config, without you having to do anything :)

/

My Hyperspin/Retroarch setup has always worked. I've always just made sure that I can load games correctly using Retroarch first, then worry about the pretty Hyperspin setup later. In anything, I have the opposite problem - I'd prefer to load a *different* Retroarch config from Hyperspin. From Hyperspin, I'd prefer to rebind the menu key (the nVidia key on my Shield controller) to "Quit Retroarch" so that kids and guests can quickly exit console games and get back to Hyperspin. But I'd like to keep that menu key bound to the menu when starting Retroarch separately, for when I'm practicing a tough console game and want access to states or if I'm tweaking emulator settings. Any idea how to do that? I can't figure out if Hyperspin's parameters line allows for anything other than core specification, or if it does, what command-line arguments Android Retroarch accepts.

Yes it was frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was the recent Hyperspin update that addressed that bug. We tested an apk file Reznnate posted on here quite recently before it was put on the play store.

@tppytel

I have RA set to exit by pushing in the right analogue stick, pushing start & select brings up the RA menu in game. Works for me

@Honosuseri - How did you set that menu combination in Retroarch? I see a config entry that's something like "Menu Key Combo", but it doesn't do anything when I select it. Did you enter that combination by hand in the config files? I don't think the regular keybindings sections accepts combos, does it? I would be fine with Start+Select=Menu if I could get that working, then I'd keep Exit bound to the nVidia button and all would be good.

Under the input menu in RA, I have menu toggle gamepad combo set to start + select. Under input hotkey binds, quit retroarch is bound to clicking the right thumbstick.

It might be the auto binding causing you issues. In my bindings for the 2015 model shield controller (user 1) select is 4 and start is 108. You can check if yours is bound differently...maybe that's why it's not recognising you pushing them both for the menu?

@tppytel I see your point with wanting to map the nvidia button differently. But why use the Retroarch app when you´re practicing tricky console games? In Retroarch through Hyperspin you have access to all settings and savestates all the same. Just bind a Retroarch menu toggle button (likke Honosuseri describes) and you´re good to go

OK, I'm just a dope. When I was looking at that "Toggle Menu Key Combo" in Options, I kept trying to either press different combos or press X. I didn't realize it was a selector and that D-padding right or left would choose different preset combos. Got it now. Start+Select works great!

@lovebus5 - I'm pickier than most in binding keys because my 10yo kids use the system a lot, as do guests, other family, etc. I try to avoid binding any system-type functions to anything that can be inadvertently pressed (my son clicks L3/R3 all the time when he uses the sticks). The less chance of bringing up menu/configuration screens, the less chance of "Daaad, it's not working!". 

Happy to hear you got it figured out :)

I did try using the Nvidia button as quit but I found it was hit and miss or people would hold it down, which triggered the voice search for the Android OS. Can't say I've had too many issues with friend's kids using my setup...made it quite clear that you click R3 to quit the game. You might well want to try one of the more "complicated" menu combos as they might accidentally trigger the RA menu. Select is often insert coin and start is start for arcade systems...I can see them holding both buttons down BUT you'll soon find out when they shout "DAAAD!" ;)

All the best with it 

Archived