Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Gutted Lost my whole collection

richie_jones

My arcade cab was fine, i downloaded some new bezels form emu movies and my PC crashed when exiting hyperspin.

Upon reboot my cab wouldn't boot from the C: drive, keep coming up with a grub command prompt, i`ve never duel booted but i think this is something to do with "windows loader from daz" that i used to get around the windows 7 activation. I know I  know not good . I also had no virus software as i`m fed up of them interrupting  the hyperspin experience even when i set them to silent mode, every now and then they retake focus and stop hyperspin in its tracks.

I`ve tried all sorts of you tube videos to try and get it to boot, i`ve written a new MBR and now all i get is "No operating system can be found"

Luckily the drive works in my other PC and i`m busy copying my rocketlauncher and hyperspin folders to my nas drive.

My question is and i`m sorry this isnt hyperspin related but i`ve spent 100`s of hours getting my cab perfect...

Can i write some sort of boot sector to the drive in my other PC then transfer it back and get it to boot????

I have never dabbled in duel booting ever...All i read about this grub error is about duel booting????

Help

You can just fresh format the drive I would think after the copy of the essential HS data.
Put the drive back in your cab then and install an OS from USB? Like Windows .. *cough* Dark... 

I would of suggested to upgrade to Windows 10 via the "free" Accessibility upgrade, but that's now finished as of 31st of December 2017.. RIP. :(

However if you can dig up a legitimate Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key from somewhere you can still use them on Windows 10 I am pretty sure.

You can just fresh format the drive I would think after the copy of the essential HS data.
Put the drive back in your cab then and install an OS from USB? Like Windows .. *cough* Dark... 

I would of suggested to upgrade to Windows 10 via the "free" Accessibility upgrade, but that's now finished as of 31st of December 2017.. RIP. [emoji20]
However if you can dig up a legitimate Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key from somewhere you can still use them on Windows 10 I am pretty sure.

Cheers bungles..That was my next question..if I reinstall Windows and drag the hyperspin and rocketlauncher folders over will it behave as normal...appreciate I'll have to add all the .net framework stuff and all the other installs needed..
I did a malware scan before I shut it down if I remember correctly I'm sure it removed the windows loader..even though I had done many scans before with no problems...
Spent hours and hours getting this cab perfect..

Yeah, your Hyperspin should behave like it did before as long as the drive letter is the same and you have your .net dependancies, and directx setup etc.
You might find you need to manually get some dll files also if you are using games that were installed on the previous setup.

Agreed I just find windows 10 so invasive but I'm sure it's a lot more configurable than I give it credit for. Not really looked hard into the settings.
I got one last attempt using easeus where you can rewrite the boot partition if the drive works in a separate pc. I'll try that first after backing up all my stuff first...
Genuine Windows this time though..

What virus scan do you use?

Not like I'm going to save you or anything, but just joining the fun...

Have you put your drive into another computer (with good OS) to check if folder and file structure is OK? If it is, might just be your bootloader (with that grub reference). 

Also, if you dual booted just for the hell of it, you may be able to get away with just reinstalling the redundant, secondary OS. It should give you the opportunity to replace the bootloader and will identify other OS's installed in other partitions. Just don't delete the OS partition you have the OS you booted HyperSpin with. This might be the best option since you are already familiar with dual booting and will not be trying something new and desperate to get it working. 

It's been a while since I played with bootleg OS's, but while the Daz Loader may be a possible vector, if it did not fail immediately it was probably not the cause of your issue. Except for a brief use of software loader with Vista, I always used OEM SLIC tables injected into my motherboard BIOS. But it is popular now to have virus laden software BIOS loaders, so you have to be careful verifying if they are official and still under the control of the original developer.

For a bootloader, I don't have any current recommendation since I either used the native bootloader during the OS install (usually with Linux as the last OS installed since it recognized most other OS file allocation systems). I did use EasyBCD with a Windows/Hackintosh/Ubuntu triple boot, but you need a bootable OS to get it working. That's why I was recommending first reinstalling the redundant secondary OS first, after verifying if your file/folder structure is intact.

Not like I'm going to save you or anything, but just joining the fun...
Have you put your drive into another computer (with good OS) to check if folder and file structure is OK? If it is, might just be your bootloader (with that grub reference). 
Also, if you dual booted just for the hell of it, you may be able to get away with just reinstalling the redundant, secondary OS. It should give you the opportunity to replace the bootloader and will identify other OS's installed in other partitions. Just don't delete the OS partition you have the OS you booted HyperSpin with. This might be the best option since you are already familiar with dual booting and will not be trying something new and desperate to get it working. 
It's been a while since I played with bootleg OS's, but while the Daz Loader may be a possible vector, if it did not fail immediately it was probably not the cause of your issue. Except for a brief use of software loader with Vista, I always used OEM SLIC tables injected into my motherboard BIOS. But it is popular now to have virus laden software BIOS loaders, so you have to be careful verifying if they are official and still under the control of the original developer.
For a bootloader, I don't have any current recommendation since I either used the native bootloader during the OS install (usually with Linux as the last OS installed since it recognized most other OS file allocation systems). I did use EasyBCD with a Windows/Hackintosh/Ubuntu triple boot, but you need a bootable OS to get it working. That's why I was recommending first reinstalling the redundant secondary OS first, after verifying if your file/folder structure is intact.
Hi. Yes the file and folder structure is intact. I've pulled both the hyperspin and rocket launcher folders to my nas drive. I'd still love to get this original drive up and running if possible.
I have never duel booted on this pc or attempted anything similar. Wouldn't know where to start with that..
Could you possibly take me through getting it to boot again. I have tried all the various commands using diskpart from the command line when booting from the windows CD. Fix/mbr and doing the bcd stuff nothing works..
I believe the drive to be intact just the booting part is not working correctly..
Any help much appreciated..

In the computer BIOS, is it set to boot to the correct drive? Sometimes the boot partition is not the same as the one the OS is installed to.

If the file/folder structure is intact, it should find the OS if the BIOS is set to the correct drive. Again, sometimes this is not the same as the OS drive.

In the computer BIOS, is it set to boot to the correct drive? Sometimes the boot partition is not the same as the one the OS is installed to.
If the file/folder structure is intact, it should find the OS if the BIOS is set to the correct drive. Again, sometimes this is not the same as the OS drive.
I've never altered any settings in the bios but I'll check.. It's definitely set to boot from the c drive though I know that ..

To be fair if it just "Happened" I wouldn't be putting too much faith in that HDD.

Be sure to run a scan disc on it when you get a chance as it could have some troublesome sectors. 

Also It might be worth it to invest in a 120GB SSD to install your OS on and move your hyperspin to a separate HDD that way any windows issues in the future wont risk taking your HS with it.. 

Granted you will need to re-configure your paths for Hyperspin.. well unless you install your OS to D: or something and leave C: for just Hyperspin.

I have 4 copies of Hyperspin on my PC now... well 3 with one on a Portable HDD so I can take it over to a friends house to play.

image.png.9903f5793ec2981257e48f0eb04e4b48.png

I do get some notifications as you do with most freeware scanners, but its not very intrusive and it wont display on-top of Hyperspin, so you wont really notice it.

That being said if your cabinet is not going to be browsing the web or downloading directly from "Naughty" sites.. you may not need a 3rd party antivirus/firewall. (Windows Defender is actually quite competent these days..)

But coming from AVG it uses a fraction of the resources.

CPU             MEM             DISK             NET

image.png.e7680178b3ba3e587abc2b398284fc2a.png

It sounds like you botched your boot sector ini file. And normally people say, whoops, run /mbr or modify to get a correct table if you know how. Sounds like that is out of your league like most people, and that's totally okay. Before using a MBR writer to write a new table that may overwrite or make the boot sector even worse, I would try the following if you can choose to boot a bootable USB:

1. Download a multiboot creator for creating a FAT32 partitioned boot USB with a front end GUI. My favorite is YUMI, and I'll show you why in a minute, and can be found for free here:
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

2. Create a FAT32 formatted thumb drive using the .exe program. You will select the USB drive you are using then select the build. Depending on your build, 32 or 64 bit, find "Boot Repair Disk 32 Bit" (or 64 bit) underneath "System Tools" and select it.
See Picture 01

3. Once selected, check the highlighted box in Picture 02 which will prompt the dialogue box in Picture 03

4. This brings you to the download page for Boot Repair, download place the .iso somewhere you can navigate to. Then pop back to YUMI and browse to the .ISO (if your file nomenclature does not match the one on file for YUMI, it won't show it, so don't rename the file).

5. Create your bootable USB and then reboot computer and select USB to boot, then under "System Tools" select "Boot repair Disk" and then hit enter to load default settings for the Linux kernel and OS that will load.

6. You will get a temp Linux system with an autostarting program, on top of a weird person falling down the side of a building background graphic, that asks you to connect to the internet, decline or connect via wifi, your choice. The next screen has literally one button that says "Fix Boot" or something similar (there is a lot of documentation on both of the programs I mentioned and YUMI even has a UEFI loader if you have issues booting into OS due to UEFI). Let it do it's thing and it will save a text file with results. Copy them to your USB for later documentation and then reboot the machine.

7. If you removed the USB you should be booting into the HDD's boot sector or you left it in and have to select the first option "Boot from first HDD."

I can't guarantee this will work, but has fixed 95% of the boot sector issues I have run into, at least to fix up the MBR so Windows will kick in enough to recognize and repair the problem once loading. It's ten times easier, way better documented, and so much less dangerous than explaining to people or having people direct edit or manually with program edit the MBR and boot sector files if you have no knowledge previously. This program has saved me on more than multiple occasions for a simple and effective means of repairing a boot sector.

I know this write up is dirty and quick, but if you have any questions or concerns or issues, literally do nothing except screenshot and reply to me. When in doubt, take a screencap and relay information instead of trial and error or guessing on boot sector stuff. If you can see that the data is complete on the drive and the boot sector is the only issue, it CAN be fixed without wiping the drive and starting over from a backup.

Hope this helps!

yumi_01.JPG

yumi_02.JPG

yumi_03.JPG

yumi_04.JPG

Gizmo thanks for taking the time to write all that up. Unfortunatley I bit the bullet last night and reinstalled a genuine copy of windows 7 64bit. Took me 16 hours to transfer my hyperspin and rocket launcher folders back from my nas drive.
Hopefully your post will be helpful for other people that stumble across this thread.
It's so demoralizing when windows won't boot, even worse when there's nothing wrong with the hard drive in another pc..

Thanks again..

One issue i`ve noticed after copying over my hyperspin and rocket launcher folders is that anything set up with PClauncher doesn't work anymore.  I just get an error saying the game cant be found in the defined rom folder. Even though the games never were in the rom folder thats why i use pclaunher to choose what exe to execute.. Can anybody shed any light on this. 

All my hard drives are as was regarding drive letters ect..

Archived