Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) CPS3 - FBA Core Retroarch | with media download

thatman84

Please note my knowledge of this system does not run deep but everything here works and plays fine.

What is it?

Capcom Play System III or CPS-3 is an arcade system board that was first used by Capcom in 1996 with the arcade game Red Earth. It was the second successor to the CP System arcade hardware, following the CP System II. It would be the last proprietary system board Capcom would produce before moving on to the Dreamcast-based Naomi platform.

How to emulate in Android (Shield TV)

Quick and simple way is with the FBA core of RetroArch and matching FBA romset.

At time of writing current versions are:-

Core:- FB Alpha v0.2.97.42 (commit 6b7a701)
FBA:- 0.2.97.42 (9 July 2017)

Other options are MAME core in RetroArch or MAME4Droid reloaded (0.139mame romset). I believe the CHD files are needed for some games and with MAME4Droid, at least,  I had to "install" the game when it 1st launched in the emulator. That process took about 20-30mins and not all worked. Redearth was one I tested and "installed".

Games

JoJo no Kimyouna Bouken: Miraie no Isan (Japan 990913) = (jojoba.zip)
JoJo's Venture (USA 990108) = (jojo.zip)
Red Earth (Euro 961121) = (redearth.zip)
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack (USA 970930) = (sfiii2.zip)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (EUR 990608) = (sfiii3.zip)
Street Fighter III: New Generation (USA 970204) = (sfiii.zip)

Note:-
I replaced this entry in the official database with the european version as I could not get it to launch in FBA.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (USA 990608) = (sfiii3u.zip)

EDIT:- USA version is working with RetroArch core version 0.2.97.44. Make sure you have the correct RomSet version

Setup Steps...

1.  Open RetroArch and download the Arcade (FA Alpha) core.

Main Menu -> Online Updater -> Core Updater

Online-Update-FBAlpha.png

1a. Transfer your games to your prefered location (You only need the six zip files listed in the database and above)

romfolder.png

2. Add the "Capcom Play System III" system to your Hyperspin setup with HyperHQ on a PC and transfer the files/folder to your device or by manually creating all the relevent folders to your device. (Download at bottom of guide)

3. Add Capcom Play SYstem III to your Main Menu.xml or Main Menu_Android.xml

4. Add these lines to your Capcom Play System III.ini file found in Hyperspin/Settings/ or Hyperspin/Settings_Android/

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=zip
parameters=cores/fbalpha_libretro_android.so

PLAY SOME STREET FIGHTER ....................... :)

Extra Notes:-

Under the FB Alpha "Quick Menu -> Options" you can select between different regions. Choosing a different region will give you the different loading screens along with other things I'm not sure about.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (Default)Euro

3rdStrike-PAL1.png3rdStrike-PAL.png

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (USA)

3rdStrike-USA.png3rdStrike-USA1.png

ANDROID MEDIA PACK AND DATABASE (Get your videos from emumovies.com)

Hyperspin-CPS3Android.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this tutorial!!! Got CPS3 installed & running on my Shield. Had some problems at first though....I was grabbing random mame roms + chds for the games and nothing was booting. Found a FB Alpha v0.2.97.42 set though (no chds) and used those. Worked great after that!

Any chance you can put together a CPS1 & CPS2 media pack & database like you did for CPS3? I'm guessing install would be identical to this one aside from the media + roms list.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:37 AM, Norkusa said:

Thank you for this tutorial!!! Got CPS3 installed & running on my Shield. Had some problems at first though....I was grabbing random mame roms + chds for the games and nothing was booting. Found a FB Alpha v0.2.97.42 set though (no chds) and used those. Worked great after that!

Any chance you can put together a CPS1 & CPS2 media pack & database like you did for CPS3? I'm guessing install would be identical to this one aside from the media + roms list.

Look into the HFSBox 15K pack, one of the mods (Rezznate) mentioned it a looong time ago on here. It's what I originally used as a base pack for my STV setup and expanded upon it. It's got some very nice stuff for the Capcom systems. You can watch the overview of my STV setup to get an idea of what it looks like...

Archived